HLA issues among other things....

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Ugh, bought a Q had a motor put in it by previous owners so no idea how many miles are on it. Tore a bunch of stuff apart and stuff I did was new knock sensors, all new gaskets for anything bolting to the motor essentially. cleaned the pig, chains and guides, ect. Pretty much got most the maintenance stuff out of the way. Finally got trans back in it and everything buttoned up, fired it up and now im getting a pretty intense slapping sound of metal on metal. Deff coming from pass side head. So I pulled the VC off and im looking at everything and from the looks of it have just one single HLA that doesnt seem to be stiff like the others so im assuming thats making the large amounts of noise. Im clearly running low oil pressure but im assuming thats caused do to not fully torquing the main crank bolt which im not sure the best method of doing so is.

So really the question is.... will the HLA build up more pressure if im running correct oil pressure after torquing the main bolt or do I really need to manually bleed it. I really dont want to pull the chains and covers off for a third time to bleed a single HLA. I also dont want to torque the bolt just to hope that will solve the problem and then have to go back and remove it all anyway. Someone with more experience may have an answer for me.

Also, torque converter. Thing had quite a bit in it when i put trans back. Car baaaaaarely creeps i mean baaaaaaaaaaareerererereerrly. Should it self fill after a bit?

Thanks.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

How long was the car down for? It could be that you just need to "Prime" the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters. Do this by removing the fuel pump fuse and crank it over and let it run till it dies. Then keep cranking for 15 seconds. Let the starter rest for a minute while you replace the fuse. Then crank over to confirm noise has subsided.

More info needed on Torque Converter issue please.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Its been a long process so motor has sat for a countless amount of time without running. So torque the main crank bolt and then kick it over a few times to try and prime it? As for torque converter It came out along with motor and trans. I guess i didnt refill it but thought it would have enough (I dont ever f with autos, always been manuals). Was under the impression that atf will refill the converter on its own. But car literally creeeeeeps but then again didnt rev cause the slapping issue.

Infinitiguy19

I would do just that...Torque crank bolt to spec and.....

The TC will fill with ATF. Was any ATF removed from the TC? What's the fluid level like?

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

yeah it lost quite a bit in the remove process. i filled it up till it said full hand have more on hand for when the level goes down if the TC is taking in fluids. On the hunt for manual swap parts

Infinitiguy19

Shift through the gears then check it aswell.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Word. Hopefully I can smash this hla problem without having to tear it all back down cause if it comes to that ill probably push it out of the garage and put it under a car cover until next year. Im tired if working on it. If and when that gets situated I spoze I will try getting the trans to work.

Thanks for the tips. Hope I can get it together.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

so i finally got around to working on this thing. got the crank torqued and its now clearly getting oil pressure. just cranking it with fuel pump fuse unplugged. I didnt notice before but theres an insane slap from the chain. As its coming off the intake cam sprocket its getting loose then slapping the guide. Wonder if that is what I was hearing all along... brand new chains, guides, and tensioners so idk.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Uuuuuuuugh. So what has to be done in order to add tension to the chain? Got everything back together but there's just insane amounts of noise from that chain. Figured it would of faded after letting oil pressure build since that's what a lot of peeps say. Apparently that's not the case.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

My tensioner is seemingly working order but I just don't get why there is enough slack on the chain that its slapping around. Being its on the pull side from cam to the crank I would think it would be under enough tension all the time there wouldnt be this issue.

Man, really wanted to drive this car this summer but I guess not. Bummer.

This is the area in which im having this issue. wtf mate.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”