High mileage maintenance

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
whiteI30
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30

I got about 150,000 miles on the 98 I30, I know it's not that high of miles, and I feel my car has got a lot left in her. What kind of preventative maintenance should I do? I had a 90k mile service at the dealer, and I don't know if they changed the auto tranny fluid, or the fuel filter, I don't have records for it. (it's my father's old car.)What is included in the 90k mile service? I had the car serviced last year at 130K miles: ac system checked, cv boots, new control arm bushing, new coolant. Cat has never been replaced, I wonder if it's still good. Also, when I got the service done last year, the tech told me that if the atf hasn't been changed ever, then don't change it now because it might cause some problems, what do you think of that? Car seems to be running fine, just want to stay on top of it. thanks.

whivins

I would do the plugs, belts , and hoses. The trans fluid is supposed to be done every 30k. I beleive that fresh fluids extend the life of components. The trans. pan has a drain plug (19mm). I do that every 20k or so (It doesn't drain all of the fluid). It usually drains out a gallon from the pan. I just did my trans. filter at 100k, and it was very clean. The radiator also has a drain located on the lower right side. I open that up every 6 months, and then refill. Watch the water pump for weeping. I not sure how the alternators hold up as far as mileage ,but that's something to consider. Sounds like your CV boots are good. These are things I can think of right now, anyone else have any thoughts? VW

whiteI30

Thanks man. What about the cat, you guys think it's still good? What are the telltale signs of a bad cat?

Mike G
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

If you are not experiencing any driveability issues, I would not worry about the cats. Drain and refill (fluid exchange) the trans, don't do a flush. The fuel filter should be a DIY deal, if I recall it's mounted up on the firewall. It sounds like a solid car, enjoy the ride.--Mike

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Mike G wrote:If you are not experiencing any driveability issues, I would not worry about the cats. Drain and refill (fluid exchange) the trans, don't do a flush. The fuel filter should be a DIY deal, if I recall it's mounted up on the firewall. It sounds like a solid car, enjoy the ride.--Mike
The fuel filter is a diy, but it's a PITA to get to and get released. It's almost advisable to get new mini-hoses for it when you do replace the filter.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Just changed all the fluids on my wifes 98 Maxima.

I keep the same maint on my transmission as I do my motor oil whichis a change every 6K. I just drain my tran. fluid by undoing the bolt,I dont change my tran. filter every time.

I change the coolant every year because I dont want the water pump seal to get brittle as the water pump is under the timingchain cover.

Gas is so high I change the sparkplugs every year now.

I dont change the fuel filter too frequently but use a dewateringfluid in the gas tank every fall and spring due to prevent condensationfrom collecting excessively

whiteI30

thanks guys. So I'll probably change the belts, plugs, fuel filter and mini-lines, but what other hoses should I change? the radiator hoses? Also is there a specific ATF I should use, or one I should avoid? Any specific reason to not get a trans flush?(I'm just curious why)

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Keith, why would you change out your tranny fluid every 6k? The recommended change interval is 30k and I'm running on 75k without any problems.

Michael, I recommend getting the ATF from the dealer. They have some special fluid that they claim is superior.

As for the flush. The general concensus is that transmission flushes and engine flushes can be damaging on vehicles especially if they have seriously contaminated fluid.

whivins

Contaminated fluid? I don't know what there talking about. Change your fluids. They get broken down, and the metal components need good lubrication. I get my fluid from Autozone. Of course the dealer wants to sell their brand. Common sense prevails. VW

NutriaforBreakfast

I change it out frequently because I am too lazy to drain thetorque converter. A gallon of tran fluid is $6 which is about allthat comes out of a pan change. I change my own fluids so Ifigure I am saving a little anyway. It gets so hot in Texas thetransmissions take a beating in Dallas anyway.

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

whiteI30 wrote:Thanks man. What about the cat, you guys think it's still good? What are the telltale signs of a bad cat?
on a car of that age you probably don't have emissions testing. i would take the cat off, gut it (meaning clear all the crap out of it), and put the shell back on. this will essentially make it a flow through (which may actually give you a couple of hp); i know people who have done this to avoid having to replace the cat or having the cat clog up on you.

Double E
Car: '04 M45 Dark Blue., NAV

On that car & miles, your TB is probably NASTY check the motorvate.ca site for info on it but if you clean it, remove it from the car to do so. Don't get lazy. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/707

Your knock sensor is also probably toast. No CEL codes get thrown but if the codes are pulled 0304 will probably come up. It's a PITA to change and it is DIY and worth it. If you get no 0304 code, you're all set.

If you live in a rust prone area, check your radiator support bracket at the bottom of the radiator.

Your hood struts are probably on the way out too, so be careful with the hood staying up. Also a DIY replacement.

Lubricate your sunroof mechanicals where the cable runs down each side of the roof opening. Trust me, you don't want them to break. It's DIY to fix but takes a LONG time to do and you pretty much have to remove the whole interior to replce the cables.

You might also look at your spark plug tubes to see if oil is gathering in there. Especially the back 3. The seal in the valve cover is known to leak at that mileage on that year.

NutriaforBreakfast

Safety first

You need good brakes and a good front end

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”