Hi, new Maxima Owner with questions and needing help

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Izzyboy1
Car: Maxima 1994 SE

Hi, Im Israel, I just bought a Maxima 1994 SE Limited Edition, I can see in very good shape it rides strong and fast, I want to hear your recomendations to change and choice the correct spark for this, as well what kind of oil need to buy for the engine which has 150000 miles on it. I will replace the timing belt sooner also just for preventing and cap of the distribuitor. is there anything else I need to think? thanks .

oil need? spark brand and number? and what is the best position for installing it?

I have read on this forum and there are lots of nice owners with really nice cars, I want have mine in the best condition possible.

Oh after reading some posts the engine I suppose is the VG30

yangs13
Car: 1993 240sx-Dead, 2001 Maxima

castrol high mileage with a bosch filter

ngk v-power (copper) or gp platinums

typical tune-up stuff: air filter, pcv valve, dist. cap and rotor, wireset, etc.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Please clarify if you have an SE or not. An SE has white-faced gauges. The SE has the VE30DE engine with timing chain while the GXE has the VG30E with timing belt. Timing chain usually for the lifetime of the car. Timing belt has to be replaced every 60K miles on the VG engine. The plugs and oil capacities are also different for the engines.

For engine oil, I prefer Mobil 1 Synthetic, 10W-30 Extended Performance for high-mileage cars. Transmission requires Nissan ATF 1 or Dexron II or better. Dexron VI has superseded DexronII/III and is backward compatible. Some members in the forum recommend Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Regardles which ATF you use, always add a bottle of LubeGard Red ATF Protectant.

Izzyboy1
Car: Maxima 1994 SE

Sorry My bad, it is a GXE limited edition, no VE engine or white face gauges.

so still this are god option?

ngk v-power (copper) or gp platinums, is there a prefer position for the spark?

which plugs will you recomend?

I will do all the maintenance next week, including the timing belt and the water pump replacement.

is there a no risk way to clean the fuel injection system?

Thanks you both for the reply, I have observed that people here is very expert so I decided to buy this used Maxima after reading all the good post about this car, after driving it for a week really think it was a good option, there a re few thinks to fix but I want go firtst to give it a new fresh maintenance.

thanks again.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

For the VG, engine oil capacity is 4-1/8 quarts, transmission fluid is 7-7/8 quarts. The OEM standard spark plugs are NGK BKR5ES-11. Nissan/Infiniti cars are designed around NGK plugs, not Denso, not Bosch. Stay away from Bosch plugs. Even other NGK plus may cause a misfire. It's your call if you want to stick to standard plugs

If I were you, I will do a transmission pan drop, clean the pan and magnets. You can buy parts from NICO sponsor, IoS or Infiniti of Scottsdale. At 25% off MSRP, it's very hard to beat...sometimes even cheaper than OEM-compatible/ aftermarket products (No, I don't work for them).

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com

For injector cleaning, I've used the BG44K ($14-22) ea.) for a long time and never have had any problem with injectors (knock on wood). But last year, they changed formulation (no more PolyEther Amine) so this year, I switched to Red Line SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner (much cheaper @ $6 at eBay but you have to buy in bulk to save) and about $8 at car parts store. Apply it every 6 months.

Since you're doing a major maintenance, I would suggest that you clean the battery terminal and poles as wells as the ground points. Use dielectric grease on any connector that you have disturbed.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”