Hey Fred [i30T mods]

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
freddy cannon

I just got another Infini-tie, the 98 i30T. (I had a 90Q with low miles but crashed it and ruined the transmission. Doug-Q here bought it from me and fixed it up). I got it for $10K from a dealer, it was a trade in.

I want to improve the performance of my car w/o spending a fortune or causing engine strain (is there such a thing?).What is the recommended course of action? Exhaust?I'm not doing the work myself since I don't know how.I'm putting the G35 17"'s on this weekend.

Anything other maintenance suggestions? The car has 74K right now. It's perfect except for a sharp pull to the right when driving freeway speeds which drives me insane.

I am happy with Infiniti as usual.........

thanksChris

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Hi Chris,

Fix the pull before you do anything..:angel:, try to either find a <good> shop for alignkent or one that has known you long enough to put in the extra attention to fix a hard problem.

74k is low miles, and VQ30's are strong, so I wouldnt worry too much about extra engine wear on mods, short of boosting it a lot.

I would start with looking for a good chip, see if JWT and/or STillen carry one.Even if they dont list it on their site its still worth a call.

Consider the install of a BG or Hayden tranny cooler real soon, before teh summer gets too hot.

I would leave the intake alone but tehre are a couple of exhausts available from the usual suspects (Stillen, Borla etc).

Best thing for performance is to make sure it runs right, those were some pretty quick cars, so new plugs TB cleaning new airfilter and such might eb in order.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Fred...:)

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

There is actually not much you can do make the VQ any faster than it already is. Basic mods seem to imporve performance somewhat, but have heard of good results from a y-pipe and UDP. The chip also helps! Good luck!

freddy cannon

forgive my ignorance, but what is a chip?!?

also, i've been hearing a lot about these Y pipes, I'm assuming that's exhaust?

thanks >

Chris

theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

I have been known to call a reprogrammed ECU a "chip". :)

freddy cannon

freddy cannon wrote:It's perfect except for a sharp pull to the right when driving freeway speeds which drives me insane.

putting on the new wheels solved the pull problem, it's perfect now

PalmerWMD

freddy cannon wrote:putting on the new wheels solved the pull problem, it's perfect now

Thats great news.Now the next step is getting int ouch with Stillen or JWt for a chip.

I30tMikeD

Basic performance upgrades:

Intake. Either cold air or pop charger with a mid-pipe. Will give you a bit better throttle response and a few horses.

Y-pipe. Best band for the buck. Proven 15hp at the wheels. Stillen, Cattman, Budget, and Warpspeed all produce Y-pipes. Price ranges from $160-$400.

Cat-back. Again, modest gains, mosttly just noisy. Will notice some increase in power if combined with an intake and Y-pipe. Stock cat back is really not that restictive.

For more power (and more money) a VIM or JWT/ECU is a nice combo. looking at about $1200 for the two. VIM will give you much improved top end power, like 30-40 wheel hp after 5500 rpms. Down side is theat low torque will be lost. Thats where the JWT/ECU comes in. It will advance you timing, adjut your air/fuel ratio and raise your revlimiter to take adavantage of the VIM. You can expect to see .3-.4 of a second better 1/4 mile with a VIM and JWT/ECU

Ligtend UDP. A basic mod that will free up some ponnies. New belts will also be needed with this mod.

So yes there is a many mods to do for performance increases. I have only mentioned a few, and did not even get into forced induction which is available from Stillen.

PalmerWMD

I30tMikeD wrote: and did not even get into forced induction which is available from Stillen.

Mike,

thanks for the great summary!Can you tell us more about Stillens SC?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”