Hesitate to go when pressing the fuel pedal

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
versaowner

My versa had 50,000 km on it. Recently, when we stop at red light and pick up again, it seems hesitate to go ( or going slowly) not until the engine is running at close to 3000 rpm. Why is it like this? Is it because of the fuel pump or the transmission? Is it under the powertrain warranty? :confused:

Your advise is appreciated.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

If it revs, it's not the fuel pump. I say trans. what type of trans do you have?

versaowner

CVT auto transmission. However, I have not changed the transmission oil since I cannot find the transmission oil stick. Any idea where is it?

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

If you are looking in your engine bay...it will be to the front right and down. You'll need to check the fluid once the CVT fluid is warmed up and your car is in idle. You'll see a small pipe with a black plastic cap on it. That's the CVT tran stick. You'll have to get a small screwdriver and pop it in a little slot on the left side of the cap to pop it off. If you feel around with your finger you'll find the slot (ok...that sounded dirty and I'm sorry :) ) Anyhoo, once you pop the cap/stick off then pull it out, wipe it, rotate it 180 degrees so the cap snap is on the opposite side from where it was, put it back and and pull it back out and that will be the accurate level. When done, rotate the stick 180 degrees back and snap it back in place.

Here's the process copied directly from the Versa service manual:

FLUID LEVEL CHECK
Fluid level should be checked with the fluid warmed up to 50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F).
1. Check for fluid leakage.
2. With the engine warmed up, drive the vehicle to warm up the
CVT fluid. When ambient temperature is 20°C (68°F), it takes
about 10 minutes for the CVT fluid to warm up to 50 to 80°C
(122 to 176°F).
3. Park the vehicle on a level surface and set the parking brake.
4. With engine at idle, while depressing brake pedal, move the
selector lever throughout the entire shift range and return it to
the “P” position.
5. Press the tab on the CVT fluid level gauge to release the lock
and pull out the CVT fluid level gauge from the CVT fluid charging
pipe.
6. Wipe fluid off the CVT fluid level gauge. Then rotate the CVT
fluid level gauge 180° and re-insert it into the CVT charging pipe
as far as it will go.
CAUTION:
Always use lint free paper towels to wipe fluid off the CVT
fluid level gauge.
7. Remove the CVT fluid level gauge and check that the fluid level
is within the specified range as shown. If the fluid level is at or
below the low side of the range, add the necessary specified
NISSAN CVT fluid through the CVT charging pipe.
CAUTION:
• Only use specified NISSAN CVT fluid.
• Do not overfill the CVT.
8. Install the CVT fluid level gauge to the CVT fluid charging pipe until it locks.
CAUTION:
When CVT fluid level gauge is installed into the CVT fluid charging pipe, make sure that the CVT
fluid level gauge is securely locked in place.

truckboy

well thats a good place to start/cheapest(the fuel filter) but here are a few other things to check or have checked 1)the pressure in the fuel system 2)the fuel pump 3) pressure regulator... the engine needs a certain amount of pressure to pull/push the fuel from the tank to the engine(injectors) and if the fuel pump is weak or going out it would not be able to get the fuel to the injectors or push it through them... if the filter is clogged them it may have caused this to make the pump work harder and is ready to give out but check the fuel filter(buy a new one) and see if it clears up the problem if not check the others and dig deep in your pockets cause ...pump, regulator ,and labor is not cheap :( hope this helps you and its just the filter

versaowner

Thanks you guys for inputs. I checked the transmission oil, it is clear and full. However, I discovered that all my stop lamps did not work and I changed the bulbs. They still did not work. I changed the stop lamp switch on the brake pedal. All the stop lamps worked. It seems to solve the hesitation problem too. I don't know why. BUT the cruise control lamp is on and the set is blinking. Now I have to post another thread. Help!!!

versaowner

problem solved. I depressed the contact of the auto cruise brake switch several times and the light does not come up again. It seems it is back to normal for picking up, stop lamps and revolving turns too.

Nowadays, the electronic parts in cars are really sensitive and all affecting each others :tisk:

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”