HERE'S A NEW ONE....Interior Lights Staying ON, Flashing

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
j.hardstyle
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45 (G50)
140,000 Miles

Just started happening tonight....got in the car, closed the doors and the floor lights stayed on (the ones by the drivers and passengers feet). Tried turning the lights on and off, opening and closing all doors (dash said OK...no doors opened), even tried using the dimmer switch to turn the interior lights on/off. Nothing worked until....

I turned my left signal on and then the lights would flash every time the signal went on/off. When the signal was on, the lights were off at the floorboard...when the signal was off, the lights were on at the floorboard. When I turned the signal off completely, the lights then went off altogether.

BUT if I used the dimmer switch to turn the floorboard lights on, I could not turn them off UNLESS I used my turn signal. EVEN WHEN I turned the car completely off and took the key out, the lights were STILL on.

And magically when I came home, the lights were working normally....I opened my door, they turned on. Closed my door, they turned off.

SO....where do I start?? Has anyone heard of this before?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm going to guess the circuit is back-feeding somewhere - in other words that voltage is getting there in a way that it shouldn't. Have you made any electrical changes lately - like a new radio?

Heath

j.hardstyle
140,000 Miles

No changes made except last week I put in a new FPCU and fuel pump. Thats it....but the problem just came up tonight.

I read over the LAN section in the FSM. I CANNOT get my car into the diagnostic mode. My lights are stuck on permanently, they dont flash etc. The ONLY way to get the lights to turn off is if I turn the left signal on. When I open a door then close it, the lights come back on and stay on.

IF I puse the signal with the key in the "on" position, the lights will stay off. So I then try to go into the diagnostic procedure for the BCM but it doesnt allow me to. I do exactly what the FSM says, but nothing happens. Either the lights never come on, or the lights come on and dont flash at all.

ALSO, my dome light has NEVER worked....all other lights work, even the two small lights attached to the dome light assembly work. But the dome light itself has never worked. So I dont know if this is causing the BCM to not go into diagnostic mode or what.

Dont know where to go from here. The lights no longer flash with the signal, they just turn off completely.....until the doors are opened again and then the lights come on and stay on. Doesnt matter which door is opened, once the lights are on, they stay on....not only the footboard lights, but the lights in the doors as well. I am sure the dome light would stay on if it worked.

j.hardstyle
140,000 Miles

Alright, dumbass me.....the 92 doesnt even have a BCM. Sooooo, what do I do now?

I am not sure that it is actually even a door switch that is messed up, because when ANY door is opened then closed, the lights still stay on. And I dont see how the dimmer switch would even affect this because the headlights dont even have to be turned on or anything.

I am at a loss, and this is starting to become very frustrating.

j.hardstyle
140,000 Miles

Got it figured out. I went through each door looking at the switches and there was only one with the rubber missing....I suspected that to be the issue, but it was not.

It ended up being my rear drivers door switch....the rubber boot was bunched up, causing the pin not to be pushed all the way in to turn the lights off. Fixed the rubber boot, and lo and behold, the lights turn on and off as they are supposed to.

NOW, why the left signal has ANY integration whatsoever with the door switches, I have no idea...

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Weird one... glad you got it figured out though!

Heath

j.hardstyle
140,000 Miles

Yea, tell me about it! I havent had any issues today....the lights are turning on and off like they are supposed to when the doors are opened and closed.

Like I said, still a mystery why those lights are in any way linked to the left turn signal but not going to rack my brain anymore trying to figure that out.

The only thing now is to figure out why my dome light doesnt work. My stock one never worked, so I swapped it with a different unit and it still doesnt work. The two lights work when I push the buttons, but dome light never comes on with the doors or if the switch is turned on.

nowyouknow
Car: Infiniti M37x

The only thing now is to figure out why my dome light doesnt work. My stock one never worked, so I swapped it with a different unit and it still doesnt work. The two lights work when I push the buttons, but dome light never comes on with the doors or if the switch is turned on.

I'm having that same issue with my 2011 M37x.

Any results since.

Thank you

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”