HELP!! Wire Q's! Big electrical issues..

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
cataldo
Car: 86' Nissan Hardbody
4Cyl - 2wd

I really need to identify these wires..
My alt isnt even hooked up to the harness and I dont have a plug that fits. The guy that owned the truck before me had this thing alllll jacked up!!
If I could get some help with what these are/go to it would be greatly appreciated.

The truck was running great until I turned on any electricals, it would bog down and misfire.. (Running lights, headlights, windshield wipers, radio)

This is a 1986 Nissan D21 4Cyl 2WD (I dont have an owners manual :facepalm:)

Anyone know what this cut wire is? Also, Is the outer wire needed or can I just go ahead and solder it back together?

Here is a plug that is plugged to nothing. Not sure what it may be..

Here is a a random yellow wire with a black line and red dashes. (connected to nothing)

Also, wtf are these?! the bottom wire with the black tape is the bottom wire into that plugin.. top open wire is top wire in the plugin.

The white wire is, im guessing, the dash electricals. I hear the dinging inside the truck when I jam the white wire into the empty slot on that clip and touch it to the positive side of the battery. Also, my fuel pump kicks on.

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

50 views, not a single answer?
Damn..

dvdswan

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/hardbody/

its not an 86 but its has the Z24 wiring diag

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

The thing is.. the guy that owned it before me had it supper rigged up..

Im missing the clip that hooks up to my alt to help power accessories. He had everything straight to the battery. Everyone keeps telling me the yellow wire connects to the alt.. but there is no yellow wire.

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Sorry taking too long to post, I can't post at work. Looks like you have quite a rat's nest in there. What are the chances of just grabbing a used harness off another truck of the same vintage and using that instead? Wiring nitemares never quit.

moneymike
Car: 1991 nissan d21 hardbody

the wire with the clip in the second pic looks like it goes onto the dizzy. and the second to last wire the black one with the tape on it looks like it goes on the alternator

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

Rev_D21 wrote:Sorry taking too long to post, I can't post at work. Looks like you have quite a rat's nest in there. What are the chances of just grabbing a used harness off another truck of the same vintage and using that instead? Wiring nitemares never quit.

The yard around here dont carry anything in the 80's.. lol! And a new one is 200-300. Closest one on car parrs is two states away. I might just break down and buy one..
moneymike wrote:the wire with the clip in the second pic looks like it goes onto the dizzy. and the second to last wire the black one with the tape on it looks like it goes on the alternator
is it normal to have two wires going to the altenator?
I already have one going to my battery + from the bolt on the back of the alt.

alabama_lowlife
Car: 1989 nissan hardbody 2wd
1997 nissan hardbody 4wd XE
1997 nissan hardbody 4wd SE
2008 nissan altima

There should be 4 wires on the alternator.

One is a ground.

One is a yellow or yellow/black wire (depends on which diagram you look at) that comes from the instrument cluster. It will have 12vdc when the ignition switch is on. This is the wire that turns on the battery light in the cluster. The ground for the light is through the alternator. As soon as the alternator starts charging, the battery light goes off.

There are 2 white wires. They splice together before the black fusible link at the battery. One wire is used to charge the battery. The other is used by the voltage regulator inside the alternator to sense the battery's state of charge.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

cataldo wrote:And a new one is 200-300. Closest one on car parrs is two states away. I might just break down and buy one..
I think I would... what a mess!

Heath

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

Any suggestions on where to get a cheap harness for an 86 d21?
I calles the local yards but they dont cary anything under 90's

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

Its an 86' Nissan D21/2WD/4Cyl

Alright, I took a video of the wires I'm talking about. (Also the ones I think you are talking about)

Use the time on the video to point me in the right direction. (Example: The short white wire at 2:38 goes to the alt.)
Probably be a bit easier..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54i_aSVQPpE[/youtube]

Thank you. Honestly.
For the patience and help..
Last edited by cataldo on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

Anyone know where the cables in the video go? I'm lost and its my only car at the moment..
I've noticed my battery light is dim at night.. all ive had is problems..

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

I am going to merge this with your other thread for continuity. Hopefully NICO can help solve this for you.

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

I put it in the mechanic section to get some help. Ive had these wires hanging around and my truck not working for a couple weeks and no one can tell me what goes where.. it really sucks a**.

alabama_lowlife
2008 nissan altima

I posted a reply and a wiring diagram in your thread on infamous a couple days ago that shows how the alternator should be wired. I'm gonna be heading to niceville this weekend, probably Saturday. I can some fusible links and the part of the harness that goes to alternator from a junkyard here and bring it by there. I can see how much the harness would cost if you'd like. The whole thing won't be the same, but the part near the battery is.

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

I saw the diagram, but what i have doesnt match up on the 80' diagram or the 97' its just confusing the s*** out of me. I fried my altenator today.. so i have to replace that too.

Does the fusible link tap into one of the two white wires that runs through the front to the opposite side of the battery and then into the fender?

And ill definatly take a fusible link. Just lemme know how much for the harness so i can make sure ive got enough cash

alabama_lowlife
2008 nissan altima

Ok, I got the wires from the alternator to the battery and all the fusible links. I won't have time to help you Saturday, but I can meet you in crestview and tell you where the connectors go.

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

Sweet! Let me know how much I owe ya.
we have a car show saturday at my work and ill be up there at 4pm - 9pm. Anytime before that, let me know.

cataldo
4Cyl - 2wd

Sent you a pm on infamousnissan with my #.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”