Help request: How to remove the rear view mirror?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
sstcobra
Car: 2008 Versa SL

Purchased one of those mirrors with a built in temp sensor and compass for my wife's Versa. Can someone tell me how to remove the stock mirror from the mirror mount - without doing any other damage?

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

Try bringing it to a few local body shops.

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

I got mine out with a screw driver and a hammer. I placed the point of the hammer at the base of the mount, pointing up, and tapped lightly on the head of the screwdriver until it became loose enough to pull off.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Drive down to Florida, leave your windows up during the day...it'll fall of by itself! heh heh...well...it hasn't happened to me yet on the V but has happened to me in the past.

Ezrem

I used a dead blow hammer (the sand filled type) from the lowest point of the wedge mount, parallel with the windshield.

Two light taps and it unseated the mirror.

Kelscar
Car: 2007 Versa Hatchback SL Magnetic Gray,
2014 Murano SL Platinum Graphite

Just curious what mirror you bought. I have been thinking of doing this also. BTW, Looked in the service manual, just like the others suggested it looks to be just wedged on to the mount.

sstcobra
Car: 2008 Versa SL

OK, I got it off with no problem...Used a small flat bladed screwdriver at the base of the mirror and felt around until I pushed on a small clip. Then it came off.

I purchased a GENTEX (Mito Corp) mirror. I see them in a number of magazines.

thanks for the help.....Gary

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

Once you get it up how do you plan on wiring it? I have been busy with my new house and haven't yet had time to pull the wires to the battery. Let me know how you do it

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

[QUOTE=sstcobra]OK, I got it off with no problem...Used a small flat bladed screwdriver at the base of the mirror and felt around until I pushed on a small clip. Then it came off.

GO to your friendly AUTO GLASS SHOP.. those windshield guys have a neat tool that when pushed up on the base of the mirror does two things- 1. moves the retaining dimple out of the way. 2. give a mating surface to the base for tapping it off.

With a slight push and the sharp rap of a plastic body hammer and the mirror comes off without a scratch.. takes only a few seconds.. you'll be standing there and thinking " Why did I even think about spending time on the removal?" Most shops charge a minimal five bucks .. they get a kick out of the look on your face when you see it done.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”