Help Please

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
erik13
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima

Hello im in need of some really big help, my car has been making a grinding noise in the right front tire when driving . I checked behind the tire and noticed it didn't look right, can someone help out don't know much about cars and don't want to get ripped off if i take it to a mechanic,

Heres a picture

Its a 95 Maxima with 96000 miles

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Your CV boot is broken. It's obvious from the picture that it's been leaking grease for a long time which eventually 'killed' the CV joint. A pair of CV boot replacement will cost you @ $350. more if you go to the dealership. The CV boots by themselves are inexpensive but it takes a while to replace those boots so labor charge is high. Since the CV Joint half shaft on that side is damaged (clicking noise), you might as well have both CV Joint half shafts replaced as the other side will likely fail, if not failing already. The total cost will be @ 500+, assuming they install refurbished half shafts, more if you want brand new OEM parts.

erik13
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima

Thanks alot, not the best news i wanted to hear but helped out :frown:

So i shouldn't use the car at all until it gets repaired? My mother kept using it even after hearing what was wrong

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

The car can still be used but the clicking sound will get worse, especially on turns. In the meantime, look for a reliable shop in your neighborhood, or ask you friends/relatives for a good mechanic (with the right tools). BTW, the pricing a gave you is just 'ball park' number as labor rate and parts cost vary, depending on location.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Also change out the seals that go between the transmission and the CV axle also
Be sure you get the clips that go on the end of the CV axle that goes into the transmission
I will only cost another $10 and helps ensure no transmisson leaks
I would get them from the dealership but Auto Zone or others will have them too

I would replace both assemblys-OEM is very high

Check your brake pads, wheel bearings, and ball joints and if bad change them out while
the car is up on jacks. Rotate your tires and grease ball joints too if not replacing

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

It appears the reason it is so greasy looking in the picture is because that axle is spinning
and throwing grease (from the ruptured cv boot) all over under the car

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”