Help: Back seat, middle seat belt will not retract.

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
BaldVersa
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Auto - Red

One of my kids probably did something and didn't say anything. It won't pull out or retract at all! Doesn't look twisted. Any suggestions? Thanks

matt_a

Other than the obvious "Pull REALLY hard"....no, I can't think of anything. Sounds like it might need a trip to the dealership.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I had this happen in my Bronco II back in the day. I had to take the molding off to get to the actual belt retractor thingy and there was a release catch that I had to push with a screw driver. After that it worked fine.

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

I think im having the same problem. In the back seat, the middle seat belt is just lying there, it wont retract at all and it has beeen pull out all the way.

dcc701
Car: 2007 versa

Same exact problem as first poster, center rear seatbelt stuck and near fully extended and would not retract. Also I suspected due to my kid playing with it. I looked with flashlight from directly above the top of the seat but the belt did not look twisted.
I went to the trunk of the car to the back of the seat, un-velcroed and unzipped the back upholstery of the seat, folded it up, and unscrewed two screws that attach the white plastic cover leading to the retractor (pretensioner) mechanism. I then bent the plastic cover a bit up and could see there that the belt was indeed twisted going into the retractor. I got it going straight (fairly easy to do with the plastic cover loose), and the belt works fine now again.
I told my kid that he should make sure that belts never get twisted when they retract.
Must say the accessibility of the component and the ease of reattachment of the upholstery was very welcome. Good design for easy maintenance.

Return to “Versa General Chat”