Hello from Okinawa!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
WhiteOnRice25
Car: 2012 VW Jetta

Hey guys! Just purchased a 1992 GTR last month and I finally got around to posting on here after lurking for a while. It's pretty much stock, except for an exhaust, intake, BBS LM wheels, and a Nardi steering wheel. I plan on lowering the car with coilovers from Tein or HKS, so any input on both of them will be appreciated. I'll also be reaching 100,000 KMs soon, so any advice on anything I should replace or look out for will be welcome!

To give a quick background on myself, I am coming from the Volkswagen/Audi community so this is all new to me. I apologize in advanced for any "stupid" or "noob" questions.

Here's a small video me and my friends made of the car last week:

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

Nice GT-R and Welcome, I miss Okinawa I think it's one the best places in the world.
I have family there :)

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Wash it regularly as Okinawa will rust the car a lot quicker than a car on Mainland Japan.

Also, if you're at 100,000km, change the timing belt, tensioner/idler pully, have the cam seals and water pump checked.

Also, if you're on a budget, and want some good coilovers for not a lot of money, check out KTS coilovers. I have them on my R33. The model is SC Damper System B. Here's a link. (Use google chrome and I think it will translate the page for you.)

http://www.kts-web.com/product/suspension/db.html

They used to have someone in their main shop on Mainland in Saitama prefecture where I used to live that corresponded via e-mail in really good English. I'll see if I can find that e-mail address and find out if that person is still in the web center and I'll give you the e-mail.

I don't know how they would perform if you going to put the R on the track, but for the money, they are a good set up. Mine were great on the roads and highways.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

HAHA!!!

I just remembered this...

http://www.kts-web.com/overseas/index.html

It's changed quite a lot since I bought my suspension about 3 or 4 years ago, though.

WhiteOnRice25

RainR32 wrote:Nice GT-R and Welcome, I miss Okinawa I think it's one the best places in the world.
I have family there :)
Thank you! Okinawa definitely is a good place to be stationed, only downside is the island is so small and it's hard to find spots to let the car open up!

WhiteOnRice25

Gold Digger wrote:Wash it regularly as Okinawa will rust the car a lot quicker than a car on Mainland Japan.

Also, if you're at 100,000km, change the timing belt, tensioner/idler pully, have the cam seals and water pump checked.

Also, if you're on a budget, and want some good coilovers for not a lot of money, check out KTS coilovers. I have them on my R33. The model is SC Damper System B. Here's a link. (Use google chrome and I think it will translate the page for you.)

They used to have someone in their main shop on Mainland in Saitama prefecture where I used to live that corresponded via e-mail in really good English. I'll see if I can find that e-mail address and find out if that person is still in the web center and I'll give you the e-mail.

I don't know how they would perform if you going to put the R on the track, but for the money, they are a good set up. Mine were great on the roads and highways.
I have been washing my car once a week, I hope that's often enough! The previous owner has changed the timing belt and water pump so it looks like I just need to look at the tensioner/idler pull and cam seals. I'll look into those coilovers, if you can get that e-mail address that would be even better! The GTR will be a track car once I get back stateside, but for now it'll be daily driven with just minor mods.

WhiteOnRice25

I'll be getting coilovers within the next few weeks. What bushings should I replace while I do that and where can I get them? With Volkswagen/Audi cars, we had a website called ecstuning.com which had every part imaginable, aftermarket and OEM. What would be the equivalent to that in terms of selection? Thanks again.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

That's a nice bridge out to Henza-Jima. I remember when it was a windy two lane, very hairy at speed. Many nights spent out there racing towards oncoming traffic under the glow of the refinery burner. Take care of the car. There are enough blown up GT-Rs behind the hobby shop already. :tisk:

WhiteOnRice25

themadscientist wrote:That's a nice bridge out to Henza-Jima. I remember when it was a windy two lane, very hairy at speed. Many nights spent out there racing towards oncoming traffic under the glow of the refinery burner. Take care of the car. There are enough blown up GT-Rs behind the hobby shop already. :tisk:
I definitely will. I've seen enough wrecked GTRs haha. They actually make fun of me for "babying" the car too much. :laugh:

themadscientist

They will laugh while standing in the sneakers that they are getting around in since they blew theirs up while you cruise past in a running car. You are on the right track. :bigthumb:
Hell, I still haven't put mine back together. :facepalm:

WhiteOnRice25

[fbvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqLGox9PzM[/fbvideo]

Here's another video I made yesterday.

WhiteOnRice25

themadscientist wrote:They will laugh while standing in the sneakers that they are getting around in since they blew theirs up while you cruise past in a running car. You are on the right track. :bigthumb:
Hell, I still haven't put mine back together. :facepalm:
What happened with yours?

themadscientist

Popped the turbo. I've been swamped with work, school, and debilitating ADD so it has sat. I'm sure not working on it today either. It's bit wet out there, ain't it.

WhiteOnRice25

themadscientist wrote:Popped the turbo. I've been swamped with work, school, and debilitating ADD so it has sat. I'm sure not working on it today either. It's bit wet out there, ain't it.
Wow, that sucks. I'm thinking about upgrading my turbos down the road since I'm still on the stock ceramic one. It's been raining pretty hard all day today. At least we're off tomorrow haha.

themadscientist

I'm holding off any doing anything different from what's already been done for now. The previous owner put this big sumbitch on and before it popped it was a little laggy, but worth the wait.

She go boom. :cry:

I picked up another one and I'm going to try to get it back to where it was. Got a new pump and going to get some fresh injectors and use a stock intercooler for a bit more response.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

WhiteOnRice25 wrote:
Gold Digger wrote:Wash it regularly as Okinawa will rust the car a lot quicker than a car on Mainland Japan.

I have been washing my car once a week, I hope that's often enough! The previous owner has changed the timing belt and water pump so it looks like I just need to look at the tensioner/idler pull and cam seals. I'll look into those coilovers, if you can get that e-mail address that would be even better! The GTR will be a track car once I get back stateside, but for now it'll be daily driven with just minor mods.
Took me a while of digging through my old e-mail address, but I found it.

[email protected]

It's been well over a year since my last corespondance with them, but it should still be good.

WhiteOnRice25

Gold Digger wrote:

Took me a while of digging through my old e-mail address, but I found it.

[email protected]

It's been well over a year since my last corespondance with them, but it should still be good.
Thanks for getting that for me, I really appreciate it! Are you still on the island? I don't remember if you said you were or not.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Never was on the island. I was a mainlander. Left there to come back to the U.S. April of last year. Been waiting on our government to approve my wife's visa so I can bring her and my kids back here.

WhiteOnRice25

Gold Digger wrote:Never was on the island. I was a mainlander. Left there to come back to the U.S. April of last year. Been waiting on our government to approve my wife's visa so I can bring her and my kids back here.
Ahh I see. Must've been someone else on the forums that told me they were/are on the island.

themadscientist

That would be me. :inoutgay:

WhiteOnRice25

themadscientist wrote:That would be me. :inoutgay:
Hey what's up man! Do you go to any meets on the island? I went to one last Saturday and it was a pretty good turn out.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

TMS is a bit of an enigma. He doesn't get out much but when he does, most times, his legend precedes him. LOL

WhiteOnRice25

Gold Digger wrote:TMS is a bit of an enigma. He doesn't get out much but when he does, most times, his legend precedes him. LOL
haha, hopefully i get to meet him while I'm on the island.

Update on the car: I just bought a set of Tein Flex coilovers. I can't wait to replace this 23 year old suspension.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

During your time with your car, what are you finding to be the most worn parts that need or may need replacement? Just trying to get an idea of how peoples cars are holding up and if there are any common high wear parts.

WhiteOnRice25

Wildtraveler wrote:During your time with your car, what are you finding to be the most worn parts that need or may need replacement? Just trying to get an idea of how peoples cars are holding up and if there are any common high wear parts.
I've had the car since April and really haven't done anything to it since. The previous owner took care of the timing belt and the water pump. I am looking to change the suspension and upgrade the brakes sometime this year, but that's about it. Everything looked solid when I took a look underneath the car. I drive the car daily and I've never had any problems or any squeaks/unusual noises.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”