Hello and Help Please

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
M.Malhas
Car: 2010 G37 Convertible

Good morning to all the club members;

let me start of by introducing myself, my name is Malhas i live in Abu Dhabi/ Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and i am new to the sport cars world, always have been a 4 wheel enthusiast, although i have been following most of the posts here for some time, while taking my time into finding the right G. at any rate to make my story short and not to make my post a lengthy one.
I recently found what i thought is the right car it is immaculate and very nice 2010 g37 convertible (base) 46k miles, i had it checked by every what looked like a good mechanic shop i know in this area (all was positive feed back), since it is an american import i wanted to make sure there arent any issues with it. The car did have the full dealer history from 50miles up to 45k miles from the US up to July of this year when apparently immediately was involved in an accident (according to CARFAX) and became a salvage ( i have seen the pictures of the accident and it wasnt anything major, but the front driverside airbag was deployed(i bought the car in September here in Dubai).

i wanted to do some minor mods to add some more power, after driving it for few days, i had it connected with Hypertech after identification and handshaking i had it flashed with the basic tune to start with and wanted to take it from there, the car didnt take the flash and started giving all kinds of faulty codes, it actually refused to start until I returned it back to stock. but shortly after that (next day) the transmission started acting really funny accompanied by a loss of power and smelled funny after driving for a while from under the car, i tried a simple reset with removing the negative cable but that didnt make any change to the strange behavior, i took it to the dealer (who is the only dealer for this country who said that my tranny is burnt and needed a new assembly 40K+aed (11k usd).

my first question, is it mere coincidence that this happened right after the flash or do you guys think the flash had something to do with it?

after finding a decent shop here in abu dhabi that wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg to rebuild the transmission, sure enough confirmed that the transmission is burnt and needs to be rebuilt, four days later the car was ready with an all original new infiniti parts, driving it the past few days felt incredibly nice and responsive. but today the same feeling of a slight loss of power (not as much as the first time and fuzzy transmission behavior (constant shifting and not sure which gear it wants to go into and just being erratic with shifting accompanied with the same smell of burnt ATF i had before) is back.

am i missing something here? i read on the net and here on this site that there should be a reflash that addresses the issue of the transmission at the dealers, but the dealer is saying that their system is not communicating with the car system because it is a US spec and the cars here are GCC spec. hence different coding.
Is there an aftermarket reflash for our cars (since they have been around for a while now and the transmission issue is a well known issue) or do i just have to accept my losses and suck it up because there is nothing that i can do about it in this parts of the world and try to live with it on a complete DIY for such cases.

will an engine performance power tune address this?

after using the knowledge i have gained from this site, i was able to initialize almost everything,the only thing pending is idle speed while in Drive and stopped at the traffic light is 600 and the rear windows dont close automatically when closing the front (which it did before but for some reason i cant find it anywhere to how to initialize )

any help, answer or guidance is highly appreciated.

thanks

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Quite the issue and I'm not sure what the proper direction is for you to go. Seems there were no issues with the car until the flash and afterward you've been dealing with problems. Are there any codes being stored at all?

Otherwise I would hope someone with better knowledge in this area posts something helpful because I'm at a loss what specifically could cause the transmission to constantly have issues like this.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Welcome to NICO, Malhas!

Did you drive the car after the re-flash the first time, or did it run so poorly, you never took it out?

The transmission would have to slip (a lot), or have a lot more power put through it in order to burn the clutches and overheat in a short amount of time.
Do you know what the shop replaced when they rebuilt the trans?

The way newer Infinitis/Nissans work, everything has to talk to everything. I'm not intimately familiar with that trans, but if the TCU is inside the transmission, and the shop you took it to merely replaced the trans with a used unit (with a GCC TCU), then they might have issues handshaking with the US spec ECU.

Is there a dipstick to your transmission fluid? I don't suppose you could pull it and take a picture and tell us what it smells like, could you? Did the trans slip gears a lot before it started smelling bad?

M.Malhas

Thank you Guys for your reply;

@ PapaSmurf2k3 unfortunately yes i did drive the car after the flash, i didnt feel any problem with the shifting, however there would be a 5 - 10 seconds delay when i put it into D from P with a clicking sound, it was normal in reverse though. and then every thing but the reverse just went haywire all of a sudden, but reverse remained normal. i did rev it to go into gear when it didnt respond on the traffic light, so now i am guessing i must have lost the pressure in the transmission for one reason or the other, and when i reved it for the few hundred meters to go onto the side of the road it would move slowly .

i do know that the valve body, the clutches, steel plates, seals and the converter where all changed, i am not sure about the TCU though i have a followup check (since it is under warranty) the mechanic asked me to pass by for a check this week) i will ask him about the tcu.

i only see a plug, but no dipstick, i did try to sniff it :rotfl but the engine was too hot to get too close i will wait till tomorrow morning and give it a try.

@ audatious there are no codes showing, the only code that was stored is when i disconnected the power, at that time hoping that it was just an ecu reset issue.

i am planning to driving it under very heavy traffic with a lot of stop and go this week before i take it to the transmission shop and see where that is going to take me.
i will keep you guys posted.

and thanks again for your reply and assistance

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah I know the G35s didn't have the stick, I wasn't sure about the 37s.

Honestly, it SOUNDS like either the TCM (or something else) either isn't energizing the solenoids correctly (in terms of timing), or they are messed up and not outputting the pressure when they should, as quick as they should (OR, you have blown seal rings, but that is unlikely from a re-flash).

Unfortunately, one problem leads to another when it comes to auto trans'. If your TCU or solenoids aren't acting quickly enough, and therefore not outputting enough pressure on the pistons that act upon the clutches, you can burn them up rather quickly.

I strongly suggest you simply return to normal operating ECU and TCU programs by any means necessary. If that doesn't work, you might have to replace some blown clutches already :(

M.Malhas

10 days update.

after my last post, the shop changed the valve body which had something to do with it plus the relearning , i guess it might have been handshaking or just my luck, at anyrate been driving well since. thank you guys for your feedback and input.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Interesting.

Glad it seems to be fixed.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”