Heater issues?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Supermilhorn wrote:Hey Swiss, my heater has acted up twice since last week. If I shut the engine off and restart it, I can hear the mix doors move as if they are resetting(which it did not do before it was recalibrated) and it works fine again. I will try to get it back in to the shop and see if they can further diagnose it and narrow it down to a specific part.
Thanks for the update. I haven't had my car for over a week now. When I did play with the heater, I was able to hear the actuators moving around. I'm not sure if it is the mix doors or not. I'm planning on DIYing the heater core this summer though. At this point, I'm not confident that the dealership has good troubleshooting methods. I still (am too lazy) haven't found a rad shop near me that can electronically diagnose the problem but I'm going to do my own troubleshooting first (like back flushing and coolant change/bleeding system).

SwissCheeseHead

SwissCheeseHead wrote:Hey Cab. Thanks for getting back to me. You probably can't PM yet because your post count is low. You can email me [email protected]

I definitely appreciate it.

I'm probably going to try to DIY it this spring when it gets warmer out and I can occupy the garage for a few days. After looking at the FSM, it's not rocket science removing the dash, there are just so many pieces. I just have to be very organized. The heater core runs just south of $300 or so online.
EDIT: I just noticed I typed my email address incorrectly. It is [email protected]

Supermilhorn
Car: 2011 M37X

I hope you figure it out without having to replace the heater core. A couple of other things to check, if you haven't already done so, are the in-cabin sensor located below the steering wheel on the right side of the dash panel. I've read that if it is not plugged in or if it's extremely dirty it can cause the issue. The other is the sun load sensor on top of the dash in the vent for the defrost. You can pop it apart and clean both sides of the lens. If you don't have navigation you can run the on board diagnostic for the climate control (hold the settings button and rotate the volume control 30 clicks in either direction). I don't know why the climate control diagnostic isn't available if you have navigation. Anyway, good luck and I'll post an update if I ever get mine back to shop.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yeah that sensor under the steering wheel will do ALL sorts of crap. I didn't have mine plugged in and cold air was on at 60* and anything 61* or higher was hot air lol.

SwissCheeseHead

I'll definitely check the sensors before doing anything else. Thanks for the suggestion! I got the car back yesterday night and as I was pulling into my garage, my wife tells me she hears a squeaking sound from the outside. Once I picked it out, it was LOUD! I didn't hear anything before today. I called the dealership to see if they had done anything with the blower fan and they said they didn't go near it. It looks like I have a squeaky blower fan on top of all this mess. This car will just not give me a break! Making me think twice about getting this car...

NoTalentLoser

Now I'm starting to wonder if my heating is having issues. Even though (as far as I can tell) none of the vents are blowing out cold/cool air, it seems like one or two vents will be blowing out really hot air when the temp is set to 90 deg., while one or two other vents will be blowing slightly less hot air. This may all be in my head. I've also noticed that, even with the heat on 90, it seems to blow not-as-hot air when I'm idling, but then it gets super hot again when I accelerate (especially if going up a hill). Does this sound like normal operating behavior to you guys?

JayStyle510
Car: 2012 M37

Hi,
I'm new here, so excuse me if I use the wrong technical vocabulary (I know very little about cars and mods but I'm eager to learn)
I had a similar issue with my heat/AC system on my M37 with deluxe pckg (Finding so much issues on this CPO made my Infiniti experience very disappointing so far.)

Driver side would blow hot air while passenger side would blow cold air. :wtf2:
Had to take my CPO back to the dealership after only 1week. Got the dealership to fix it under warranty. :dblthumb:
They first replaced a part in the system (sorry I don't know exactly what part) which didn't solve the problem. So they kept the car, took the dash appart (and I don't know how but in the process even scratched my car. Found several deep scratches near the door step; which they didn't even bother to mention. I had to find out myself when I returned the loaner; and then the car stayed at the dealer for another week and I lost 1 hour driving there. If you wonder, the dealership is Niello Infiniti in Concord, Ca; very disappointing to say the least) and I have no idea why but they even had to replace the illuminated door sill :wtf2: they probably messed it up while the car was i nthe paint shop.)
To go back to the subject, their next approach was to replace the whole air system which they did and it seemed to have solved the problem. :dblthumb:
I came from Toyota, Mercedes, and Lexus; never had such a problem so it's a damn shame that a "luxury" car would have such a problem (especially when mines is a CPO) :nono:

SwissCheeseHead

They probably scratched up the door sill and kick plate while they were removing the dash to replace the heater core. thanks for letting me know. I'm going to try to back flush the heater core first. Then take it to a shop that I use locally to see if they can diagnose the problem. Luckily you had CPO warranty. For me, I'm fresh out and they won't do anything outside of warranty unless Consumer Affairs is involved. Even then, working with them is like pulling out teeth, and even if my car was just out of warranty, they still probably won't consider it because it was discovered after, even though it was probably malfunctioning long before.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”