Heat Issue- temp works but fan doesn't

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
infin in nj
Car: M35X

Hi all...I think I have an issue with the heat... I can regulate the temperature hot and cold, but when I try to increase the fan it does not work. All I get is a little bit of hot air blowing- nothing more no matter what I turn the fan speed up to. Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea what this could be? Is it a major repair?

Thanks!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The blower motor itself is probably bad, then. Does the display still reflect the fan speed increase?

The blower motor is located behind the glove box. It's not hard to get to, but you have to remove the glove box.

infin in nj
Car: M35X

Thanks! The display reflects everything- temp and fan speed like normal. If I change the temperature I can feel the air temp change, but if I change the fan speed it shows the change on the display but nothing happens with the fan itself.

Is this an expensive fix? I would have to take this to the deal and I feel like I am making them rich! My I35 has 165K miles on it and is 7 years old. I start to struggle with whether these repairs are worthwhile...your thoughts?

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

My guess is the diagonse charge and labor for the problem will vastly exceed the cost of the part. Sometimes it cheaper to try to do it yourself by just replacing parts because the labor cost is so high.I look at it like this; If I can get new parts and do it myself rather than pay for a flimsy diagnose, and the cost is the same then I will do it myself.

If the cost of taking it to the shop v me doing it myself is the samethen at least I got new parts even though there was no cost advantage(rather than paying labor).

Markc
Car: 2008 m35x
2005 infiniti G35

If you can get a copy of the FSM, there is a section which describes the self-diagnostic procedure.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Could be a problem with the Blower or Fan Control Amplifier, a.k.a. Blower Resistor - refer to page HA-33 for wiring diagram. Use the built-in diagnostic to isolate the problem and save you some money. Refer to the HA (Heating and Airconditioning) chapter, below. It should be similar to 03 and 04 I35.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/i35/2002/ha.pdf

If you need OEM parts, IoS (Infiniti of Scottsdale) - infinitipartsUSA.com, a.k.a. everythinginfiniti.com is the place to go with @ 25% off MSRP. You can buy a blower from AutoZone but the connector may not be the same.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”