Heard of UpGarage? Want to see parts but can't read Japanese? Here's a guide

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
SienSil80
Car: 88' R31 Skyline
85' DR30 Skyline
85' AE86 Trueno
65' RT40 Corona

I'm pretty sure most of you have heard of Up Garage in passing if not wandered around their site yourselves. If you don't know, Up Garage is a chain of stores selling good condition second hand performance parts for cars. Having heard of it before, I stopped by a couple of their locations on previous stays and picked up some cheap parts (and believe me, their prices are insane by US standards).

Anyway, many of my friends from my car club and elsewhere have been asking me to look for specific parts for them at up garage and I usually have to tell them no. It's time consuming to look for many specific parts for many people. They have a website which has a search stock function where they keep a list of pictures/prices/and comments on all the parts they currently have in each of their 20+ locations. I would send them to that but it's completely in Japanese. It then occured to me to make a translated guide on how to search the site for my friends back in the states.

Here is that guide for all my Nico buddies to check out, cruise upgarage's website with this and see some some awesome **** for prices that'll make you wanna cry

So you've heard of Up Garage's cheap prices and you wanted to see for yourself? Cool, so you went to their site and in quick order got lost and frustrated due to the language barrier. I took it upon myself, now that I'm here, to translate and simplify searching for parts on their site. While the translations may not be exact, I feel that translating it as I did, gets the idea across better. Also, I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, I'm still learning. In addition to that, I only translated what was necessary to help search for parts. With that said, first thing to do is head to their website.

http://www.upgarage.com

This is what you should see when you first load up the site. As the picture says above, click on that button.

The button links you to this page. This is the parts genre selection list. From here you pick the type of parts to search for. Anything from audio, navi systems, engine parts, aero parts, this is where they're selected. Oh yea thats in Japanese huh... next image then

and like magic, it's in english. For the most part, these sections are direct translations so they use a bit of Japanese terminology. After making the image I realized this, so let me explain a bit of the more important sections.

Tune Up: this is likely the most important section for you. when refering to tune up parts, they pretty much anything to upgrade your cars performance. These parts can range from boost controllers, to turbos, to engine management systems. Small other upgrading accessories can be found here also.

Dress up: this , as it sooort of sounds like, is to dress up the looks of your car. in this section you can find aero kits, aero pieces, hoods, canards, etc.

The rest of the sections are rather self explanatory. For the sake of most common searches, I will then click on the tune up button.

This is the english version of what the link will take you to, here is where it gets a pic confusing if you don't know what to do.

SEARCH FOR: for this section, I generally always check all the boxes to optimize the amount of matches i get.

KEYWORDS: this is the most important section. You can search with upto 3 keywords to refine your search. It is here that you will put in info for car specific, or type specific parts. One problem arrises, you have to type names in Japanese. Don't worry though, below is a short list of words in Japanese that you can copy and paste into the boxes to help your search. Aside from these words, I recommend putting in the chasis code of your car. For example, if you have an S14 240SX, try putting in S14. If you have an FD RX-7, try putting in FD3S or RX-7. Most of the parts are listed in their application field by chasis code. If the search fails the first time you try it this way, try searching again, the search engine fails pretty frequently for me.

シルビア = Silvia スカイライン = Skyline フェアレディZ = 300ZX 日産 = Nissan ロードスター = Miata マツダ = Mazda スープラ = Supra トヨタ = Toyota アルテッツァ = IS300 (Altezza) セリカ = Celica レビン = Levin トレノ = Trueno カローラ = Corolla ホンダ = Honda シビック = Civic インテグラ = Integra

タワーバー = strut bar クラッチ = clutch ブローオフ = BOVブレーキ = brakes ターボタイマー = turbo timer インタークーラー = intercoolerタービン = turbo

After you've put in your keyword or chasis code, next section to look at is price range. If you wish to specify the price floor or ceiling in values of yen, you can do that here from the drop down menus.

Next, and a very important section, is maker. If you want to specify the manufacturer of the parts you're looking for, that can be done here. If you, for example, want to look for only HKS parts that fit your car, click on the drop down menu and select HKS from the long maker list.

After that, try to ignore the location and store location drop down menus. Leaving them as they are searches the whole country of Japan. Reason why I recommend this is if you decide you ever wanted to buy parts from them, and they don't have it at the location you're going to, they will ship the parts quickly from another location to yours for not much money at all.

Finally, after finishing your search citeria, click the search button.

In this image I did a test search looking for all tune up parts by all makers for a Silvia. I translated the first match (which is a greddy intake). I did this to illustrate the common sections of the matches you will see. For example, the cart, part name, price, etc. Unfortunately, most, if not all of the parts will have their names in Japanese. I can't help you on this, try to decipher it by the image or terms you're familiar with. Once you find a part that interests you, click on the picture or name to see more details and pictures of the part.

For example, I picked an Apex'i part for an S15. Here is the page in Japanese.

And here it is in English. The translated sections here are pretty self explanatory. Now I'm sure by now you're wondering about prices. Yes, they're all in yen. If you can't find a currency converter, try (www.xe.com). Other than that, the current exchange rate is 120yen/$1.With that in mind, just take the price in yen and divide it by 120 to get the price in $.

I picked this item cause it shows the general savings I usually see at up garage. This is a Power FC w/the commander unit and the kit for d-jettro for an S15 SR20DET and what not for 69,900yen. In USD that's $582.50I believe that part retail in the states is like $900 or more.

Anyway, this is generally how you search for parts on their website. I recommend also checking out the dress up section, sports seats section, and suspension sections.

I hope this helps those who are interested.

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely have to have my brother look on it for parts for his S13.....maybe I'll find something cool for the Conquest.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

STICKY!

Thread of the week (Sorry Jesda, lol)

Soy
Car: '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #295

FYI - the search box recognizes terms like "s13" or "s14" when searching, in case you find yourself without those handy japanese translations.

corey240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Base Drift Machine

or you could go to google.com, click on language tools to the right. go to bottom and type in website, change to jap-english and bom your done. nice write up too. so if you wanted to buy somthing would you actualy send them us money?

Soy
Car: '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #295

http://www.upgarage.com/upgara...d=130

I want to fly my *** to Japan right now.

S15 seats in perfect shape, for $131.00

That's less than i paid for just about everything on my car.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

The answer is probably no, but.........

Do they do online transactions and will they ship overseas?

If not, I have friends in Japan who could pick stuff up for me, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to trouble them.

SienSil80
Car: 88' R31 Skyline
85' DR30 Skyline
85' AE86 Trueno
65' RT40 Corona

In regards to thge translation functions google and babelfish have: I thought about that before I wrote this up and realized that babelfish can't translate japanese language in .jpegs (for example the buttons in image 2). Unfortunately, I asked, and they aren't willing to ship internationally or accept USD. I also can't really do it for people at this time, as I'm concentrating on school. I wanted to just share this with the community cause I used to have fun back in the states just searching for parts on the site in my free time.

vr4
Car: 92 vr4

Unfortunately for me all the Japanese characters turn up as ? Does anybody know how to fix this?

LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

^^^you need the asian/japanese language pack to see it. you can either download this from microsoft's website as long as you have a legit copy of windows, or you can get your windows cd out and download it from there.

sultan

typing s13 in the keyword part has never worked for me. the upgarage search stops working all the time, too. it's kinda funny when you hit next page and the same stuff pops up over and over.

and find someone on the forums in japan willing to ship to you. i've bought two sets of wheels from upgarage, currently waiting for them to be boxed up and shipped (pictured on this forum on the roof rack of a certain members 180sx).

nissanman04
Car: '90 240SX, '95 Subaru Legacy

sweet, now i need to find someone who lives in japan

Feint of Heart
Car: 1990 240sx Fastback

Awesome. I may have found wheels. Muhahaha!

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

anybody over there who might be able to request pictures for a set of wheels for me? id try them but im quite certain i wouldnt know wtf to say

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

All your silbeers are belong to us.

nismofly

im not sure theyd appreciate that

nismofly

nobody wants to help me

guess i need to learn japanese

LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

themadscientist wrote:All your silbeers are belong to us.

nismofly, good luck learning japanese, youll need it.i wish they would ship overseas, there are some damn good deals there.someone needs to make an upgarage here in the states(besides cali), that would rock.

LOVERboy
Car: 1997 240sx se KAT

how do i get it into English?

EazyBreazy

there's no way to get it into english, its a japan only company with no interest in shipping or for that matter selling to the states. if you want it in english your best chance is to take a friend whom is fluent in reading and speaking japanese to japan and go to up garage. or for that matter have said friend look at the website and tell you what it says lol. otherwise there's no other option

MX-Ham
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata A-package / 1981 Dastun 210 Base

There is a similar topic posted on ZeroYon.

Return to “General Chat”