Headlight works on high beam, but not on low?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Sizemore

So tonight I'm driving and I notice my drivers side headlight is blown out. It happened once before, but I turned off my lights and turned them back on again several times and it somehow worked itself out. Haven't had a problem since..

..until tonight. What's weird about the situation is that the light works perfectly fine whenever I turn my highs on.

Is this just a simple problem with the bulb or is it a bigger problem with the fuses (as a friend of mine suggested). And also, is it normal for bulbs to do this?

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Sizemore wrote:So tonight I'm driving and I notice my drivers side headlight is blown out. It happened once before, but I turned off my lights and turned them back on again several times and it somehow worked itself out. Haven't had a problem since..

..until tonight. What's weird about the situation is that the light works perfectly fine whenever I turn my highs on.

Is this just a simple problem with the bulb or is it a bigger problem with the fuses (as a friend of mine suggested). And also, is it normal for bulbs to do this?
What do you drive? If you've got a 2001+ QX4 a major possibility is the switch. If it's what happened to me it will get worse and eventually start happening to the other side.

Billy

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

I just had this problem recently with my driver-side low beam. First couple times, I switched quickly from low to high beam and back again, and it came back on and worked for a while. But that trick stopped working.

Bulbs were fine, fuses were fine, relays were fine. For the record, there's only one fuse and one relay per bulb, so if it was the fuse or relay then the bulb would be completely out -- no low OR high beam.

The FSM lists these as possible issues for the problem:- Bulb- Headlight circuit (between bulb and control module)- Switch- Switch circuit (between switch and control module)- Control module.

With the help of the electrical diagrams in the FSM, I removed the switch from the steering column and tested all the switch positions with a multimeter. Got proper conductivity on the terminals in every switch positions, so that wasn't the problem.

I then tested the wiring between the switch and the light control module, and the wiring from the control module to the lights. Everything checked out there too, so it wasn't the wiring.

After humming and hawing, I bought a new control module. Stealerships here quoted me $300 for the part, so I ordered one online from courtesyparts for $150 ($200 after UPS brokerage fees) and popped it in. Voila, driver-side low beam worked again.

I was really sceptical of this solution working; since flicking the switch back and forth quickly fixed the problem a few times, I was really convinced it was the switch at fault. But after testing the switch's conductivity again and again and it passing my tests again and again, I finally ordered the part.

The FSM does have a step-by-step method for testing the control module, but I couldn't wrap my head around how to do it without splicing wires and potentially screwing things up.

Densetsu

Damnit, just realized you're in the States, and probably don't have DTRL.

The setup for USA Pathys is simpler without the DTRL module that Canadian Pathys have, so there's only three things that can be wrong. Bulb, wiring, or the light switch on the steering column. Mostly likely the switch, especially if the harness for the bulb is tight and has no sign of corrosion.

Ron Burgundy
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3 LE

I had a corner light with a similar problem.

Wouldn't come on as a parking light, but worked as a turn signal.

I just happened to be getting a set of blacked out corners and headlights so I changed them and the problem's been gone since. Guess it was the circuitry in the lamp that was faulty.

Sizemore

Empty V wrote:
What do you drive? If you've got a 2001+ QX4 a major possibility is the switch. If it's what happened to me it will get worse and eventually start happening to the other side.

Billy
It's a 2001 Pathy, for the record. But if it is the switch, where exactly is the switch located?

KyooX4
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 4wd

I believe they're talking about the stalk besides the steering wheel, that you twist to turn the headlights on and off.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

KyooX4 wrote:I believe they're talking about the stalk besides the steering wheel, that you twist to turn the headlights on and off.
Yup that's it. It's extremely easy to replace. I'm pretty sure it's a few screws and connectors. Takes a whole 3 minutes. I got a new switch form the Infiniti Stealer for about $80. Like I said I was having what sounds the same issue which progressively got worse. Eventually both of my low beams shut off while driving. Kind of freaky on the busiest freeway in the US @ midnight.

Billy

gr84u2009
Car: 2003 nissan pathfinder

Hi there, I'm having the same problem with my 2003 pathfinder. Went to the dealership and they diagnostics came out with a defective module. Can you tell me or do you know where I can find the step by step to replace the unit myself.

As well, the dealership wants ~$400 for part and labour, noticed courtesyparts has it for $130. Will this work on my Canadian vehicle?

Your help is appreciated.

Densetsu

gr84u2009 wrote:Hi there, I'm having the same problem with my 2003 pathfinder. Went to the dealership and they diagnostics came out with a defective module. Can you tell me or do you know where I can find the step by step to replace the unit myself.

As well, the dealership wants ~$400 for part and labour, noticed courtesyparts has it for $130. Will this work on my Canadian vehicle?

Your help is appreciated.
Courtesyparts has a DTRL control module on their site (http://www.courtesyparts.com/28576-cont ... 00278.html), but I wasn't sure it was the right one for my Pathy. I bought it anyways, and when I was entering my address and payment information, in the comments field I gave them my VIN and asked them to check the part number against the VIN. Sure enough, I ordered the wrong one, but they replied back and told me they'll substitute the right one instead.

For the record, the correct part number for my Pathy was 28575-5W100. This was also stamped on the control module, don't know how I missed it. Your part number may be different than mine, so make sure to give them your VIN and ask them to check.

Installation is easy, I can put a picture up tonight if you need one. There's a small beige box bolted to the passenger side of the engine compartment, right beside the battery, that has three electrical harnesses plugged into it. Move the battery to the side, unbolt the control module, and unplug the three harnesses. Plug them into the new control module, attach it to the Pathy, and you're done.

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

Sizemore wrote:It's a 2001 Pathy, for the record. But if it is the switch, where exactly is the switch located?
You should have just halogens

Make sure 100% that its not the bulb your bulb has 2 filaments one works on high one works on low so just switch out your bulbs and make sure it operates than worry about replacing the module.

techracer
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE

So where exactly is the headlight control module? my wifes passenger side low beam has been out for about a week, went and bought new bulbs, no go. I'm thinking it's probably the headlight control module after reading this thread.

For the record, we have a canadian PF with the DRL's so Densetsu's fix will hopefully work....
Modified by techracer at 10:12 PM 11/8/2009

Densetsu

techracer wrote:So where exactly is the headlight control module? my wifes passenger side low beam has been out for about a week, went and bought new bulbs, no go. I'm thinking it's probably the headlight control module after reading this thread.

For the record, we have a canadian PF with the DRL's so Densetsu's fix will hopefully work....

Modified by techracer at 10:12 PM 11/8/2009
It's beside the battery, on the passenger side wall of the engine bay. Should be a beige box, maybe 4"x3".

techracer

What is the PN or what should I ask for when I contact Courtesy to order it?

Densetsu

My part number was stamped in white ink on the side of the module, though I'd contact courtesyparts and give them your VIN to be sure.

I think the only DTRL for Pathys they show on their site is part #28576. They had mine - #28575-5W100 - in stock, just not displayed anywhere on their site.

nnorton44
Car: 2001 QX4

Would the problem be similar for a 2001 QX4? My driver low beam is out completely and I have already replaced the ballast and switch to no success. I can get it to turn on temporarily by taking out the relay and putting it back in. I am all out of ideas! Think its the control module?

I can't drive at dark anymore!

techracer

I gave them my VIN and they told me they can NOT cross reference Canadian VIN's... Is this true? Seems silly. How did you get them to reference yours?
Modified by techracer at 8:43 PM 11/22/2009

techracer

So I went out on a limb and ordered the part you gave for Canadian PF with DRL's and after 2.5 months of back order i finally received it. Took me less than 10 min to swap it out and BINGO, I've got both low beams again.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Densetsu

techracer wrote:So I went out on a limb and ordered the part you gave for Canadian PF with DRL's and after 2.5 months of back order i finally received it. Took me less than 10 min to swap it out and BINGO, I've got both low beams again.

Thanks so much for all the help.
Sorry, missed your previous post on Nov 13, but glad that it fixed your problem.

As for your original question... yep, seems silly, courtesyparts looked up the part number based on my Canadian VIN, no questions asked.

mikedee4
Car: 2001 Pathfinder (Canadian)

Just wanted to thank you for these posts. I had a similar problem with the low beam not working on the passenger side. Bought the DTRL control module from courtesy parts and installed it today and everything works like a champ.

Like you, the part number was stamped on the side of my control module but if not for your posts, I would not have known to check it out.

Thanks again!

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Ha the same problem with my '02 Pathy (Canadian) this spring.
Dealer wanted $278.00 (+tax) for the DRL module. No way.
Went to a junkyard and picked one up for $20.00. Problem fixed.
If you don't mind sharing, what did you pay thru courtesyparts and what was the shipping cost?
Cheers.

mikedee4
Car: 2001 Pathfinder (Canadian)

Hi Buzzman,
Courtesy parts sold it for $144 and $15 shipping. I live in Hawaii so not much chance I'd find a part unique to Canadian Pathy in the junkyard.

Buzzman

mikedee4 wrote:Hi Buzzman,
Courtesy parts sold it for $144 and $15 shipping. I live in Hawaii so not much chance I'd find a part unique to Canadian Pathy in the junkyard.
Hey, thanks for sharing.
Now the next obvious question is: How did a Canadian Pathfinder end up in Hawaii? :wavey:

loop2000
Car: 2002 Pathfinder

I had the same problem on our PF. I pulled the DRL unit and disassembled it. It was obvious that there were loose solder contacts. Resoldered and installed. Works like a dream. Saved myself several hundred.
I took photo of the lose points.
If se tells me how to post it I'll do it.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO.

You can upload images to www.imgur.com.

Pathfinder3.5
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE Gold

I also had this issue a little over a year ago on my old Pathy. My driverside low beam wouldn't work but my passenger would. The driverside highbeam would work but the passenger wouldnt.

Bought a new DRL Module and worked fine up until I sold the R50.

robospeed
Car: 2001 QX4. Silver out, black leather in.

I had this same issue on my 01 Qx4. Everytime I'd turn on my headlamps, the drivers side lamp would eventually flick off. Sometimes unexpectedly, and sometimes when the relay for the turn signal would click to 'off'. Turned out to be a combination of a bad ballast and an old bulb. I picked up a used ballast on ebay for $115 (which was a decent deal, relativity speaking) and two new D2R bulbs for $85/ea. Problem seems to be solved.

dcoleman

I think I have a similar issue with my 2002 Pathfinder. The driver side headlight only works with HighBeams, whereas the passenger side only works LowBeam. I swapped the lightbulbs themselves, and that didn't change anything so its not the bulbs. From reading through this post, it appears its likely the Control module. Thoughts? I think I'm going to try pulling the control module apart tonight to see if there is anything obvious inside I can fix before ordering a new one.

Buzzman

If you have daytime running lights (DRL), then it's 97% certain it's the DRL module, on the inner passenger side fender, under the hood, behind the battery.
It's usually beige in colour, about 5 inches square and maybe an inch and a half thick.
It's basically a bunch of relays.
Open it up and re-solder everything. That'll probably fix it.

dcoleman

thanks Buzzman, I'll give it a shot!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”