headlight retracting

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
SET240SX
Car: fast rides

I searched and found 1 other thread with the same problem and no solution.I have a 90' 240sx and the drivers side headlight will not retract. I have swapped the relays around by the air intake and nothing has changed. The linkage doesn't seem to be binding in anyway. It will come up with no problem when manually turned down. I ran some voltage checks at the retracting motor plug and it seems to be getting a signal to retract. Not sure how strong the signal is on this part due to digital volt meter. By the time the meter is ready to display the voltage the retract cycle is over. Whis i still had my old analog meter.

I am beginning to wonder about the motor itself?

Any other sugestion or test to try and figure this out would be appreciated.

Philip

Neejay

Same problem here. Anyone have any ideas?

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Well, to test the motor itself, can't you just supply it w/ power? i.e. splice into it and run directly. My understanding of it is that the controller unit (that white box in the driver kick panel?? - not sure) will turn on the motor for a specified time so it can open or retract.

So, skip the controller part and test the motor. Supply it w/ power and see if it goes up and down. If it does, then maybe your controller unit is bad?

I'm just speaking from my understanding of this, which may be completely wrong.

Hope that helps.

Neejay

brokeAs240sx wrote:Well, to test the motor itself, can't you just supply it w/ power? i.e. splice into it and run directly. My understanding of it is that the controller unit (that white box in the driver kick panel?? - not sure) will turn on the motor for a specified time so it can open or retract.

So, skip the controller part and test the motor. Supply it w/ power and see if it goes up and down. If it does, then maybe your controller unit is bad?

I'm just speaking from my understanding of this, which may be completely wrong.

Hope that helps.
Well it sounds like it would make sense...if I knew anything about electronics...what could I use to test it?

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Neejay wrote:Well it sounds like it would make sense...if I knew anything about electronics...what could I use to test it?

Well, I tested my washer pump this way (extra washer pump):

I got some gauge wire, I think I used 12 gauge, but you probably want something smaller to prevent short circuiting your stuff - o yea, be careful not to do that :).

Well, just connect up some wiring, and either splice it, or take out the connector and manually run wires or make a connector (like the slide one - not sure what it's called) to the motor and then to the battery.

The motor should start moving up and down continuously.

If it is, then your motor is fine and it is something to do with your wiring somewhere (I would have no clue where to begin with this part).

At least you know your motor is ok.

ANOTHER THING:

If you get a multimeter or voltage tester, you can take apart the driver's side kick panel and test the correct wire for activity when you turn on and off the headlights, which tests the signal to the motor.

The wire color itself is long out of my memory but I'm sure someone can help you with this.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”