Headlight Assembly Removal for QX56

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
alikhan78

Hi guys,

Ive tried searching the forums for this at no avail (found articles for other models but not armada/qx56). I have some condensation in my headlight assembly, I have xenon lights (which I guess are standard for the qx56). I want to take the assembly out, dry it with a hair dryer and try to reseal where ever the water is getting in from. Has anyone done this? How hard is it to remove the assembly and does it require bumper removal? Any idea how much an assembly would cost from Infiniti/Nissan (are the Armada and QX56 headlight assemblies even interchangeable)?

Thanks
Modified by alikhan78 at 9:23 PM 10/12/2008

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Greetings from NICOclub! We are thrilled to have you here in the Armada/QX56 Forum!

I think the thing that will help you the most is to check out the service manual for your vehicle. Here is a link to the service manuals here on NICOclub.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

alikhan78

Thanks, the service manuals are really helpful.

I ended up not removing the entire bumper to take out the headlights, but did get rid of the condensation in the assembly using a hair dryer and vacuum. Unfortunately I took the car to the Infinity dealership the following day and forgot they wash the car after performing service work, the condensation is back.

Timmbo

Sounds like you have a bad seal in the headlight assembly, probably should have it replaced before you have more excessive damage done to the actual light.

alikhan78

Yeah Im looking at replacing my headlight assembly, infiniti here in Austin is wanting to charge $1250 for it which sounds like way too much. I called the Nissan dealership and they charge $350 for Armada lights, of course those are non xenon.

Augusta_10
Car: QX56, 2008

I have a 2008 QX56 as well with the exact same issue - condensation in the headlight housing.

Anyone know the size of the problem, or if Nissan has a note out to cover the cost of the repair?

Timmbo

Welcome to the QX56 Forum! Happy Easter from the staff here at NICOclub!

How many miles do you have yours? Is it still under warranty? I would call the dealer ASAP and find out.

Popsgun
Car: 2005 Qx56

Same problem with water in the headlight assembly on my 05 QX56.
Here is a simple way to remove the condensate.
Remove the covers that have the push in plastic screws.
Remove one of the bulbs. Which ever one is the easiest.
Insert a tube with low pressure air running through it. From any air source like a compressor.
The dry air will evaporate the condensate in a half hour or so. You can speed the process up by heating
the outside of the headlight lens with a hair dryer.
Water will probably come back but its a quick way to get rid of it without removing the assembly.

Timmbo

Popsgun wrote:Same problem with water in the headlight assembly on my 05 QX56.
Here is a simple way to remove the condensate.
Remove the covers that have the push in plastic screws.
Remove one of the bulbs. Which ever one is the easiest.
Insert a tube with low pressure air running through it. From any air source like a compressor.
The dry air will evaporate the condensate in a half hour or so. You can speed the process up by heating
the outside of the headlight lens with a hair dryer.
Water will probably come back but its a quick way to get rid of it without removing the assembly.

Welcome to NICOclub "Popsgun", thanks for posting the feedback, much appreciated! :bigthumb:

MagicMike
Car: 2005 QX56

Pulled mine apart with a heat gun and some flat head screw drivers. The water poured out, lol. Installed new ribbon sealer and pressed the housing back together.

bcdthomp
Car: 2007QX56

was it hard to remove the headlight and add the seal? I have had both headlights replaced in my 07QX56 about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago I started having the moisture problem again but it would dissipate. Now I get moisture in both headlights when ever I go through a car wash but it wont evaporate in the driver side headlight. My car isn't under warranty anymore and Infiniti wants to charge me 1900.00 to replace both headlights. I just don't want to pay that , especially if in another 2 years I'll have to do it again.

Timmbo

Wow, quite the project there! Nice photos and great way to save some money.

pjnmj
Car: 2008 Qx56

Hi Magic Mike,

Impressed with your disassembly of the headlight assembly! How difficult was it to remove the unit? Did you go through the wheel well, or did you have to remove the bumper? Is it feasible to do this in my own garage?

Punisher
Car: 2012 Infiniti QX56

The manual says the xenon headlights may occasionaly experience condensation. It is normal.

jappa
Car: 2005 QX56

Yo that's awesome I need to know how you took it out.

kcoop99
Car: 2006 Infiniti QX56

So I had this same issue. When I removed the HID ballast there was a lot of moisture that built up. I can only assume that there is air coming in due to a bad seal. Removing the headlights was not that difficult. It's a little cumbersome but not too hard. Once you get them out, remove all the bulbs, headlight adjustment mechanism (give a good tug directly back to remove the ball from the socket on the mechanism). Remove the wiring harness as well as the small rubber trim around the top and side of the headlight . While doing all of this, preheat your oven, yes your oven, to 200 degrees. Place the entire assembly in the oven for 20 minutes. This will dry out all of the moisture! Don't be scared, it will work and you will not ruin your assembly. Just make sure nothing touches the walls of the oven. When you remove it from the oven, have a tube of clear silicon available and put a small line all around the outer seams. Make sure at this time you clean the gasket around the HID assembly as well as make sure you have tightened the small bolts to avoid any air leaking around the gasket, thus meeting the hot air of the HID light creating the condensation.
Hope this helps someone else.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”