Headlight Adjustment, I figured it out!!! Video Mod.

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
JoshTex
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

So after MUCH searching, reading, & frustration I finally figured out how to adjust the headlights for our beloved M35/45's. I'm sure this will work on any Infiniti with similar setup.
The BEST part is this mod will allow you to adjust the low and high beam independently of each other. Yes, I said it, INDEPENDENTLY of each other.
I will be making a video today so everyone will be able to do this mod themselves.
Last edited by JoshTex on Wed May 01, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

I can't wait! :mike :mike :mike :mike :mike

Now... how do I subscribe to this thread so I don't miss it?

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

in for the video

This should be seen by all the M's that have been lowered.

donnieb83
Car: 2007 M45S

Intriguing! I'm in for any info you can give.

anotheraznguy
Car: 2005 Nissan 350z
1989 Nissan 240sx
2006 Infiniti M35

+100000 ive been waiting for this... i tried using that adjusdter that does both and it didnt help much

built2makeit
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

fantabulous

sergio1987
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

I really hope he is not trolling us:)))))))))))) :chuckle:

JoshTex

Finishing up the video now. We had a wicked storm here in Orlando and it took longer than expected to shoot. The quality is not as good as "The Riders Edge TV", my motorcycle show, however the detail is there to do the job.

donnieb83

^Woooooo!! :dblthumb:

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

In for the video!

JoshTex

here you go everyone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oCwj9Mk ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

JoshTex

So, any feedback? There have been over 10 views on YouTube/

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

JoshTex wrote:So, any feedback? There have been over 10 views on YouTube/
Thanks Josh.
Works for me---thanks for the experimentation--I would have never even thought about separating the two pieces!

axefire
Car: 06 M35x
Umbria Grey/Burbon Interior
Navi
Tech

Josh! Brilliant - Thank you! I didn't even lower my M but the one complaint I have bout it is my head lights are pointed way too low!

One quick question - are you sure the blue plastic bolt is for the low beams and not the high? The top sdjustment is by the mechanism for the low beams so when you turn left/right your head lights follow - I could be wrong, you did this work but thought I'd throw this out there-

Thanks again dude! :mike

JoshTex

Thanks guys.

Axe, yes I'm positive the blue nut is for the low beam only. If you look at the entire assembly, the front "silver adjuster" will do both high and low beam adjustment, however by moving the blue nut separates them.
the part of the video where I adjust the lights is turning the blue nut and it only moves the low beam.

anotheraznguy
1989 Nissan 240sx
2006 Infiniti M35

i'll definitely have to try this out when i get car back from bodyshop

axefire
Car: 06 M35x
Umbria Grey/Burbon Interior
Navi
Tech

JoshTex wrote:Thanks guys.

Axe, yes I'm positive the blue nut is for the low beam only. If you look at the entire assembly, the front "silver adjuster" will do both high and low beam adjustment, however by moving the blue nut separates them.
the part of the video where I adjust the lights is turning the blue nut and it only moves the low beam.
Perfect - excellent info thanks again!

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

Great; nine months after I sold my M45. ;) Kudos to you for figuring this out and taking the time to post detailed instructions in video format. :dblthumb: A great contribution to the community. :)

Partysan7
Car: 2008 M35

Great video Josh !!! :dblthumb: Do you think this could resolve the clicking noise that some of us have ?

donnieb83

You Rock Josh!!!!

rev_hi
Car: '08 M45x

Thanks so much!!

cee215
Car: 2006 M35x Black Obsidian/Graphite. All packages

Excellent! Another way you can raise the beams, if your M is lowered and equipped with AFS, is by modding the rear ride height sensor's mounting point. If, like myself, you used Eibach springs, which change the pitch of the car by lowering the front more so than the rear, your headlights are probably only lighting up a few feet in front of the car. Dangerous imo when driving on the highway or a dark road. I simply made a bracket and remounted the rear sensor's arm to it. The sensor now thinks the car is back to OE ride height, therefore raising the beam. The bracket allows moving the mounting point of the arm to adjust height. All you do is loosen the arm, adjust, and re-tighten it. I mounted the arm about an inch lower to see the results (same as the 1" rear drop on the Eibach) and the aim was back to OE level. Since these headlights aim a little low from the factory anyway, I moved the arm about another 1/2" (I didn't measure). Now I see everything!What a difference! Now I can actually see the car in front, not just it's muffler!I was barely getting any light on the bumper of the cars in front of me at a red light!I have not had anyone flash me either, so I know I'm not blinding on coming traffic in any way.

anotheraznguy
1989 Nissan 240sx
2006 Infiniti M35

cee any pics?

cee215

anotheraznguy wrote:cee any pics?
Yes. :chuckle: I knew that question was coming. I will take a couple of pics and post them Tonight or tomorrow.

sergio1987

Hey, JoshTex
1: Does the AFS light come on on the dash when you unplug the motors?!
2: Everyone is complaining that when they adjust their lowbeams higher, the highbeams go to the sky... By idea you are able to adjust the low beam a bit higher(your way), than put everything back the same way it was(the AFS motors, and the blue housing in the silver adjuster), and than lower the lights back (high beam and low beam together). As a result you will have a much smaller difference between the high beam and low beam degree/angle, and therefore you can keep your AFS and be able to adjust your lights as you prefer without having to sacrifice the high tech stuff in your car. Please guys let me know if it makes ANY sense what I just said, and if not i'll try to explain somehow else:)))))) :whistle: :picard:

cee215

anotheraznguy wrote:cee any pics?
First, let me say I am new to Infiniti, and new to Nicoclub. I just picked the car up a couple of months ago. I love the car! So far it's more than I expected it to be. I actually wanted the 45, and didn't care about the "X", but this car was loaded, very well maintained, and black, so I went with it. One issue I had the first night of ownership was with the headlight performance because they were just too low. One of the first things I had planned was to lower the car, so I figured I would simply adjust them when I lowered the car. When I did lower it, the headlights just became useless! Worse was when I went to go adjust them the first night it was lowered! I couldn't adjust them. I figured they HAD to be manually adjustable in some way, so I checked out how the system worked. My first plan was to disconnect the motor from the gears, adjust the low beam, then reconnect the motor/gears, the way we saw demonstrated on this thread by Josh. Before doing that, I wanted to see how the height sensor determined the ride height. That's what led me into this experiment. I had the car up in the air, looked at the sensor and wondered what condition or position determined what the sensor would tell the headlights to do.
Here is what I did. I removed the arm (while the car was up in the air, headlights on) I then gently pulled the arm down, waited a few seconds to see if the AFS would adjust the headlights, and I saw them move up. I just wanted to see if what I thought should happen, would. Once I saw how the headlights responded, I looked for a bracket, nut and bolt to keep the arm mounted at the lower point. In the pics you will see two nuts, one higher, one lower. The higher one is where the arm mounts normally. That is where I attached the bracket. I then took the sensor's arm and mounted it right about where I was holding it when I saw the headlights move up. Since I didn't know how much of a difference this would make at night, I waited for nightfall and took a ride. It worked! The difference is like night & day. The next step is to get back under there and mount a more professional, oe looking adjustable bracket, clean up the chassis, and call it a day.
My suggestion is to do either, or both ways to adjust them. Josh's video is excellent, plus Josh's method allows separate low & high beam adjustment, which the sensor does not do. The sensor trick is another easy, minimum risk way of adjusting. I will still do as Josh demonstrated, simply because although my low beams are just right, my high beams are now aiming for other galaxies, and I'm a little more interested in what's down the road than discovering any new planets.

JoshTex

sergio1987 wrote:Hey, JoshTex
1: Does the AFS light come on on the dash when you unplug the motors?!
2: Everyone is complaining that when they adjust their lowbeams higher, the highbeams go to the sky... By idea you are able to adjust the low beam a bit higher(your way), than put everything back the same way it was(the AFS motors, and the blue housing in the silver adjuster), and than lower the lights back (high beam and low beam together). As a result you will have a much smaller difference between the high beam and low beam degree/angle, and therefore you can keep your AFS and be able to adjust your lights as you prefer without having to sacrifice the high tech stuff in your car. Please guys let me know if it makes ANY sense what I just said, and if not i'll try to explain somehow else:)))))) :whistle: :picard:
Sergio,

1. NO!! the AFS light WILL NOT come on. I never use the AFS however, in the interest of some forum members I went out and did a test. I turned the AFS ON, personally I've always left it off, and it works just fine as the horizontal motor is still plugged in and active.
2. I did not plug the vertical AFS motor back in and did not re-set the blue bolt to the prior location. I'm not sure the outcome as the car may "re-level" the lights to the proper "factory" setting. This mod gives you the ability to adjust the low and high separately, the your desired height.
I hope this answers your questions.

Joshua
Last edited by JoshTex on Thu May 02, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshTex

Partysan7 wrote:Great video Josh !!! :dblthumb: Do you think this could resolve the clicking noise that some of us have ?
Thank you. I'm not familiar with the "clicking noise" you are referring to. It may, as you will disable the vertical AFS motor by unplugging it.

Joshua

sergio1987

It did answer my questions of course:) I am going this weekend on a 1000 km road trip, and I don't wanna screw up my light now:) When I get back i'll definitely try to adjust them and see if I can put back the AFS motor without the lights going :weak: again:)

Partysan7
Car: 2008 M35

JoshTex wrote:
Partysan7 wrote:Great video Josh !!! :dblthumb: Do you think this could resolve the clicking noise that some of us have ?
Thank you. I'm not familiar with the "clicking noise" you are referring to. It may, as you will disable the vertical AFS motor by unplugging it.

Joshua

I have this clicking on my driver side headlight only , its like its trying to adjust itself but cant. If I remember correctly there was a thread about it not that long ago and couple of members stated same issue. Anyways so badically from what I understand you have to disengage AFS , adjust and leave it plugged off ?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”