Having to replace bad ECM

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
MamaLion1
Car: 2001 Infiniti I 30

After purchasing a 2001 Infiniti I30 two weeks ago, and only being able to drive it once, I was told my ECM was bad and woulkd need replacing. I am told by my mechainc they can get the computer from Infiniti at thier cost and save me some money. I was told for the computer and having it installed by nissan would run me 1100.00. I was told the computer alone without labor would have cost me 2000.00 I hope this will correct the previous problems i was having with car. last week I had Idle Air control Motor replaced at a cost of 549.00. The car actually ran worse after that. it was blowing white smoke from exhaust and had a funny smell too. The car wouldn't even crank after that, and had to be towed to mechanic. They gave up and told me they didn't have the sophisticated equipment that Nissan has. Wish they had told me that before spending 549.00 on it.Hopefully this will take care of situation, as I am about tothe jumping off point (:-O

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

HA!I ran into the exact same problem winter break! The mechanic told me once the idle air control valve goes bad it fries the ECU. Also two of my motor mounts are broken and they watned to charge me 2400 bucks! I bargained with em and they were willing to do it for 1800. Now I found an ecu at a junkyard for 150 bucks and will get it replaced next thursday with the engine mounts and everythign for under a grand

MamaLion1
Car: 2001 Infiniti I 30

Hey There:

Well the original mechanic (A total redneck yahoo) finally admitted they his equipment wasn't sophiticated enough to handle the problems after charging 549 to replace the Idle Air Control Motor. They wre nice enough to get the new ECM with thier discount for me and worked out a deal with Nissan Tech on labor. The entire job of replacing allwiring which was shorting out everthing, and the new computer and all the labor that was involved ran 1239.16 They told me the computer alone without the discount would have run 2000.00 not including labor to install. My baby is back home and she is purringlike a kitten, no SES light continulally coming on and no Security light flashing. I have spent so much on this car I hope it lasts till I give up the ghost LOl. They can bury me in it.

j_chawaguta
Car: infiniti i30t 2001

by any chance u have the phone # for the junk yard we got your ecm. i'm having the problem . i did Idle Air control Motor and the garage were i was taking the car they did not have the machine to program it after replacing it so they did fry my ecm know i have been looking for one for about 2 month i u still have there phone # i will aprectiate it.. thanks i have looked the hole of canada and they dont have the used one. the onne they were able to get did not have TCM , and my car does have TCM.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”