haven't been around in a Long while

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

Some of the old timers may remember me, not sure if that is a good thing or not :chuckle:

Anywho, have been bouncing around from car to car recently. Started my love for nissan's with my first S13 hatch I got out of high school. Got tired of all the quarks of that KA and swapped a CA18DET into it. Drove the hell out of that thing and loved it for almost 2 years. After 2 years (on a 20 year old engine) it needed some upkeep so I purchased a 03 6spd G35 (dec 2008 IIRC) with ~50k on the clock. Driving a car that now had all kinds of creature comforts and little things like AC really made the S13 just a paper wait. After owning the G a year I sold that car.

bought a new house in 2011 and got married to a mazda guy. We bought a 92 5spd ranger for a beater and to do things around the house for $600 bucks and that became my daily. I worked at a mall and didn't like the random door dings and BS that came with working at a mall. Fall 2012 I got offered a big fancy job ~20 miles away from the house and down the block from my husband. It is now $52 bucks a week to park downtown and hell to deal with people in a parking garage so we commute together (great for gas too). Jan 2013 the G had only seen 200 miles in the last year and 1/2 and it really wasn't moving, but the 2003 mazda 6 my husband drives was not as comfortable as it once was with all the suspension work and driving downtown with cobble stone. the G still owed a little on it so it was more logical to trade that in, I was upset, but the deal was I could get a new car we would pay cash for after selling the parts off the G.

Spent about 3 months digging and finding that 240s were stupid expensive and thrashed for the most part in town. Husband posted a WTB on one of the local boards just out of a "you never know" kind of deals and found someone willing to sell us not 1, but 2 RUNNING 5SPD COUPES for $3k (along with a s*** load of other parts). All they needed was batteries and some love as they had sat outside. Drove 60 miles out to the coast and bought both of them and drove them back 2 days later. Spent a few dollars (maybe $150 total) and sold the gold one for the cost of both cars to the first person who saw it. The paint wasn't horrible after a wash, and my now red coupe looked really good after about 6 coats of wax and polish. had a little fun with them and the pictures below will show where that went :naughty: recently sold the Red coupe for $5k with all the mods and little driving I did of it(parts paid for by selling parts from the original 3k investment), and now I wait....... 7-1-89 my Black R32 will be legal to pass through customs and I will be able to enjoy my R32 GTS-T. the cost for it was cheaper than what a swap and mods to my S13 would have cost just to go RB, so it was kind of a no brainer....

alright, so onto the pictures......

92 hatch 5spd(Owned for a ~3 years)

03 G35 (owned for ~4 years)

92 ranger 5spd (still have)

how it looked (dec 22 last year)

(what my husband and father did to it 2 days later)

93 gold coupe 5spd(owned for ~2 weeks)

93 Red Coupe 5spd(owned for ~9 months)

89 R32 GTS-T 5spd(got a wait till july to have... Rivsu Imports is importing it for me)

paint will be done before it ships. Once it gets here there are definitely some stuff that needs to be cleaned up. In the mean time I will continue to stock pile parts as I try my best to be patient.

So Anway, Just saying whats up. Been a while since I have posted on here. going to start doing some reading on the RB pages and the skyline pages. :bigthumb:

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Nice. Your S13 deal reminds me a bit of when I got that silver 89 coupe for $50 about 10 years ago...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome back, Gabs!

For the love of God, don't let hubby touch the R32... (we can tell who has good automotive taste in that family, haha ;) )

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

He IS a Mazda guy. They are weird.

Gabby is back! What's the intended motivator for the 240?

sci2000tech
Car: s13.5 RB20DET 'Vert

Can't wait to see the R32 build.

There's a lot of potential in the Rb20 :woot:

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Whoo, R32 goodness. Have fun on that adventure. I hope to do that one day.

ca18detgabby

AZhitman wrote:Welcome back, Gabs!

For the love of God, don't let hubby touch the R32... (we can tell who has good automotive taste in that family, haha ;) )
haha, he is actually the boy friend at the beginning of the story who talked me into my first S13. He has some decent taste, even if his yellow car is a little bright. He has been testing parts and fabricating things for almost 10 years now, so I might let him wash my car.....
themadscientist wrote:He IS a Mazda guy. They are weird.

Gabby is back! What's the intended motivator for the 240?
yeah, the mazda community is a totally different animal.

The 240 was going to be my weekend toy as I sold my G35 (he wasn't going to be the only one with a toy car). I had intended to swap it once I was happy with the suspension (which it was really nice when I sold it), but for the price of just the RB motorset I could sell my S13 and drive a caged R32.... was kind of a no brainer to move on. The 240 "scene" isn't what it was back in the day (or maybe I'm just old now) and really wasn't as enjoyable as it used to be. I liked being able to pick up neato parts for dirt cheap, but watching what some "240 guys" do to their cars made me want to push the drivers into on coming traffic.
sci2000tech wrote:Can't wait to see the R32 build.

There's a lot of potential in the Rb20 :woot:
yeah, I'm already stock piling parts in one of our spare bedrooms. Got a complete set of R33 GTS-T seats and floor mats already. Shopping for coils right now (as I don't think this one is currently equipped with them). Cusco, trust, and Zeal are at the top of the list, though I did find a set of Ohlin on UPgarage for a decent price. My husband knows the guys at BC NA pretty well, and if nothing else works out I may go over and see Sam and Paul and see what ideas they have. I have know those guys for YEARS now, and their coils were on my S13 and I was very happy with them.

I'm also looking for an intake manifold as I don't like the cold pipe crossing the engine. Husband is going to fab a V-band setup for the FMIC. I would like to find an older ARC or Blitz or greddy Core, but I have friends who can make those for me as well.
breadbox wrote:Whoo, R32 goodness. Have fun on that adventure. I hope to do that one day.
thank you. It did pull a little of the thunder out of Christmas as now it all I can think about.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Welcome back. We need about 100k more members to come back here.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Welcome back Gabby! I'm still rocking the CA18, but it's in an S14 now.

Odd question, how is rear leg/shoulder/hip room in the Mazdaspeed6? We have a Mazdaspeed Protege right now, but we have a baby, and with the car seat, it's cramped back there.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

Welcome back!

R32 FTW!

ca18detgabby

http://www.rooksmag.com/new-page-1/

I really should update this a little more often, Here is a little article on my car now that it is here and arrived and I have gotten to wrench on it a bit. If you haven't been following me on any of the other boards, Please enjoy and feel free to ask any questions you might have. Car still got a whole stack of mods to get installed and more waiting to arrive... Can't explain how much I love this car. Had I known what I know now, I would have bought one 3 years ago.

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

oh wow, that's pretty.

veery
Car: 06 M35x Umbria Grey

Yes, very pretty!! And a bit understated, Love that color.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Beautiful car! :bigthumb:

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

WHAT? nice ride!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Great, now I want one!

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Nice and welcome back. Skyline a beautiful beast. I have a question how trust worthy are those Rivsu Imports?

ca18detgabby

Pento240sx wrote:Nice and welcome back. Skyline a beautiful beast. I have a question how trust worthy are those Rivsu Imports?
I'm not sure how to answer that, but I will put it like this. I know Elvin at IVI, I know Kunio at GTR garage (love them btw), and I follow Japanese classics, Nostalgia, and others pretty closely. I know the guys at hi-rev, I know the guys at black ops, and a couple of the other "questionable" importers locally. I have spent thousands with GTR garage and Kunio in the past 2 years alone....

I had my options and had done my research on what I would need to import a car and generally what kind of prices I would see. I thought an R32 was going to be out of my price range and that I could never be "that chick". My friend actually went to work for Steve as his shop mechanic and took me around in the r31 he had at the time, it was a great experience and for what it would have cost to get an engine from them, it wasn't much more than the price I could sell my 240 and buy a complete R32. I went on faith that my buddy was a shop mechanic there and since then, the owners and his employees have all become family to me as well. They have taken care of everything I needed and then some, they took care of painting the car before it shipped, and they have parts sitting waiting for their next container for me that they picked up that I wanted after I had already purchased the car. It has been a wonderful experience, and WHEN I order something next it will be through Rivsu.

I have read all the federal paperwork, and given the 9 months I waited for my car I spent shopping for parts and studying what I actually would be expected to receive and provide to the feds when it arrived. I could probably import the car myself now, but not having to deal with the port authority or DMV is totally worth w/e savings there might be.

I have to say I have watched what all of the importers do, I would like to say that some do it "more right" than others, and I think Rivsu handles it about as well as anyone in the industry, and certainly at some of the best prices.

PS if you have more specific questions, I'm happy to share.
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Great, now I want one!
I will tell you what I tell everyone else, it is totally worth the investment. specially if it isn't your only means of transportation. Sourcing most everything is pretty easy, but like last week for instance I wanted a nice clutch line, not something generic or vatozone, so sometimes there are little hold ups. Light bulbs being H3Cs was an interesting surprise as well.

if you have a 240, and can part with it for anywhere in the 5-6k range (or better) a GTST isn't that much more. out the door other than me modding it because nothing I get stays stock... was 10k including the paint, tax, title, and all my fancy federal paperwork. Had I not painted it, the car itself was only 8500 for all the other good stuff, but it deserved to be pretty ;)

Return to “General Chat”