Harmonic balancer wobbling at idle

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Dan1200sss

My harmonic balancer has started wobbling at idle in the last 1000 or so Kms, wobbles quite a bit at idle but if I hold revs up over 2000/2500 Rpm it doesn't seem to wobble anymore or no where near as much anyway. What you guys reckon ? Maybe the rubber inside of the harmonic balancer has started to break down or something? My bottom end assembly is aftermarket balanced if I do get a brand new pulley/harmonic balancer and fit will it cause any damage because it's not balanced to the rest of the rotating assembly ?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

The bolt is loose. The part of the crank pulley that the belts ride on isn't isolated from the part that bolts to the crank. The harmonic dampener part is simply what's referred to as a "tuned mass dampener". This means it's very simply a hunk of metal, of a specific weight, connected to the crank via the rubber that we see on the back side.

What this means in your case is that even if the rubber failed completely, the dampener would fall out of the back of the pulley, but the rest of the pulley would remain intact. There is a thread showing a picture of the stock pulley cut in half. I'll try to find it and post a pic.

float_6969

blownhemi
Car: S13 200SX CA18DET HX35

Dan1200sss wrote:My harmonic balancer has started wobbling at idle in the last 1000 or so Kms, wobbles quite a bit at idle but if I hold revs up over 2000/2500 Rpm it doesn't seem to wobble anymore or no where near as much anyway. What you guys reckon ? Maybe the rubber inside of the harmonic balancer has started to break down or something? My bottom end assembly is aftermarket balanced if I do get a brand new pulley/harmonic balancer and fit will it cause any damage because it's not balanced to the rest of the rotating assembly ?
I might be too late, but tighten it, NOW! Don't rev it, don't even start it until you've done so. A slight wobble like you describe has ruined the keyway in my crank (and as such, the crank as a whole), the keyway in my balancer, and the timing gear. And the woodruff key, of course, but that was the least of my problems.

float_6969

Yea, I didn't even think about that. He's right. You probably need to pull it off and inspect it as well to make sure there hasn't been any damage caused.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”