Hard shift from 1 to 2

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
nj1sh
Car: maxima 96

When i accelerate there is a hard shift from the first gear to the second. I don't know what the problem is.. does this have to do anything with the knock sensor?

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Most likely not your knock sensor.

If I had to guess: I would look at the drop resistor, if it exhibited the problem through out all gear changes: or the shift solenoid for that particular gear.

nj1sh

where is the drop resitor located? and one more thing all the gears seem to change below 1500 rpm but the hard shift is only noticed from 1-2 gear
Modified by nj1sh at 9:26 AM 5/18/2007

danielekfuj
Car: miata, rocket ship

drop resistor is the one circled in blue:

Nick240sx
Car: 2009 Ford Fusion SE Sport

as dumb as this sounds, make sure your shifter bushings under the car (if in the open and visible) are lubricated. My buddy has an Integra that it was hard as hell for him to put in reverse. All we did was spray some WD 40 on the shifter bushings and assembly underneath the car and it moves around freely now.

just an input.

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

maxhopper97 wrote:Most likely not your knock sensor.

If I had to guess: I would look at the drop resistor, if it exhibited the problem through out all gear changes: or the shift solenoid for that particular gear.
The drop resistor can definately do that. It's a very common issue on the Infiniti G20s as well.

nj1sh

I am 99% its that because the guy I purchased the car from was into racing so I guess he probably did the mod to get some juice from the car. But i cant seem to locate it on my 1996 maxima. Can someone be more specific where it is located?

nj1sh

And can this hard shifting cause problems for the transmission or any thing else?

Aaron92SE
Car: 92 Nissan Maxima SE AT

I believe your drop resistor is located either near the strut as shown in the pic above or underneath the intake air box. Make sure it's plugged in. The guy who owned the car before you could have unplugged it, which gives 100% line pressure providing a very fast shift.

Also, when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? If you've never done a fluid change, then get a full tranny flush done. It will probably be over $80 to pump out ALL your old fluid and put in new. You can do a drain and fill, but that doesn't change ALL your old fluid. Once you do a flush, then you will do periodic drain and fills to maintain your fluid. When you have bad fluid, it can definitely cause a hard shift. It did in my 92 Maxima when I first bought it in 2001. A tranny flush solved my problem.

Also, bad motor mounts can cause a harsh shift. This is caused when there is no rubber in your motor mount and when shifting from P to R, it can bang into gear. It can also bang into gear in the 1-2 shift if the motor mount is really bad.

And the last thing, look into adjusting your TPS. The throttle position sensor tells the tranny when to shift. If it's adjusted incorrectly, it can cause the tranny to shift VERY hard.

One more thing, it's definitely not your knock sensor. It does not communicate with the TCU at all. I only listens for pinging and tells the ECU to retard timing is nessecary. But it will never cause a hard shift.

95prmax
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima SE-L

Aaron92SE wrote:I believe your drop resistor is located either near the strut as shown in the pic above or underneath the intake air box. Make sure it's plugged in. The guy who owned the car before you could have unplugged it, which gives 100% line pressure providing a very fast shift.

Also, when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? If you've never done a fluid change, then get a full tranny flush done. It will probably be over $80 to pump out ALL your old fluid and put in new. You can do a drain and fill, but that doesn't change ALL your old fluid. Once you do a flush, then you will do periodic drain and fills to maintain your fluid. When you have bad fluid, it can definitely cause a hard shift. It did in my 92 Maxima when I first bought it in 2001. A tranny flush solved my problem.

Also, bad motor mounts can cause a harsh shift. This is caused when there is no rubber in your motor mount and when shifting from P to R, it can bang into gear. It can also bang into gear in the 1-2 shift if the motor mount is really bad.

And the last thing, look into adjusting your TPS. The throttle position sensor tells the tranny when to shift. If it's adjusted incorrectly, it can cause the tranny to shift VERY hard.

One more thing, it's definitely not your knock sensor. It does not communicate with the TCU at all. I only listens for pinging and tells the ECU to retard timing is nessecary. But it will never cause a hard shift.
for all fourth gen maximas that were automatic the drop resistor is right on the frame of the strut tower. regardless of the model or the year.

also he might have done the drop resistor mod which is this little wiring setup that removes the drop resistor mod for you to have hard shifts but it only works when you punch it

Do your hard shifts occur in regular granny driving or when you hit the pedal hard.

also if it turns out to be that none of this so far is it i agree with aaron on the tranny flush it will be a bit expensive but its worth it of instead of paying 1300 for a good rebuild of your tranny. I might also think about changing the tranny filter if its bad. I paid 120 for teh tranny flush and tranny filter so now you have more or less something to go on if you wanna do it.

danielekfuj
Car: miata, rocket ship

95prmax wrote:
also he might have done the drop resistor mod which is this little wiring setup that removes the drop resistor mod for you to have hard shifts but it only works when you punch it
correct me if i'm wrong, but it will shift hard all the time w/the drop resistor mod unless you have the resistor wired to a WOT switch.

nj1sh

Well its noticeable when i hit it hard and soft but more noticeable when i hit it hard. I found the cable i disconnected it than reconnected still no difference.

95prmax
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima SE-L

danielekfuj wrote:
correct me if i'm wrong, but it will shift hard all the time w/the drop resistor mod unless you have the resistor wired to a WOT switch.
very true if you only want it at WOT you need the micro switch but thats why i asked if it was when he hit it hard or when it was granny driving
nj1sh wrote:Well its noticeable when i hit it hard and soft but more noticeable when i hit it hard. I found the cable i disconnected it than reconnected still no difference.
when you disconnected the cable did you notice anythign weird like extra cables or any cuts or solders onto the old wiring with new wiring

it might be the same problem i had do that tranny flush and if i were you i would spend the extra 40 for the tranny filter to when i bought the car it was shifting hard and then it started slipping i did the tranny flush and that took care of me but every car is different meaning different situation different solution

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”