Hard Shift Btw. 1st / 2nd Gear @ 57,000?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ZGadson

I have less than a month and less than 2000 miles before my powertrain warranty is gone.

I've had problems with the car not wanting to shift or shifting hard between 1st and 2nd gears. I was told by a mechanic friend of mine that a "clutch pack" is bad and needs to be replaced.

Anyone have any ideas? Any at all?

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

When was the last time the transmission fluid was flushed? It should be done around 60-70K.

ZGadson

Haven't had a chance to flush the fluid yet. My friend told me that changing the fluid could possibly make the problem worse. I don't see how exactly, but he's worked on cars for 30 years, so I trust his opinion.

MattB

ZGadson wrote:Haven't had a chance to flush the fluid yet. My friend told me that changing the fluid could possibly make the problem worse. I don't see how exactly, but he's worked on cars for 30 years, so I trust his opinion.
With 57000 miles unless your transmission is in terrible shape already there isn't any harm in flushing the fluid unless the machine used overpressurizes the system. The BG system that most Infiniti dealers have doesn't. I had the trans fluid flushed on my I30 at 67K or so and have had no issues. Since you have 3K left on the warranty though just take it to a dealer and see what they say.

ZGadson

Closest dealer to me is 2 hours away. I've talked to Infiniti customer service and they've informed me that I could take it to a Nissan dealer near me, but Infiniti wont respect what Nissan says is wrong with the car. An authorized "Infiniti" tech looks at it.

Exact same engines... wtf...

xerexabante
Car: 02 q45, 02 max se

There is a new TSB for the manual trans. 2001 Infiniti I30 V6-2988cc 3.0L DOHC MFI (VQ30DE) Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins M/T - Required Oil for Warranty Repairs M/T - Required Oil for Warranty Repairs Notes Classification:MT02-002a

Reference:ITB03-012a

Date:February 15, 2007

2001-2006 ALL INFINITI: MANUAL TRANSMISSION OILREQUIRED FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS

This bulletin has been amended. This version is expanding the Model Year range. Please discard all copies of the earlier version.

APPLIED VEHICLES:

2001-2006 - All Models Equipped With Manual Transmission

SERVICE INFORMATION

If a 2001-2006 Infiniti vehicle equipped with Manual Transmission needs servicing for warranty repairs, Nissan Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75W-85 oil (P/N 999MP-MTF00P) is required.

Important Note : Nissan MTF HQ Multi 75W-85 oil must be used when performing manual transmission repairs paid by Infiniti. These include warranty, service contract, or goodwill repairs. Infiniti will not reimburse dealers for manual transmission repairs when Nissan MTF HQ Multi 75W-85 oil is not used.

If a manual transmission requires the oil be drained for maintenance or repair (customer pay work), 75W-85 oil is required as the service fill fluid.

Infiniti recommends use of MTF HQ Multi 75W-85 oil, which optimizes shift quality, for customer pay use as well.

Nissan Manual Transmission Fluid and all Infiniti chemicals are ordered through the Direct Ship Chemical Care Product Program.

MattB

There's no such thing as a manual transmission A33 Infiniti (at least not from the factory).

ZGadson

Mine has an automatic transmision. That last post about using manual tranny fluid doesn't apply to me too does it?

MattB

ZGadson wrote:Mine has an automatic transmision. That last post about using manual tranny fluid doesn't apply to me too does it?
No it doesn't apply. Putting MT fluid in an automatic could create problems.

ZGadson

My fear is that I'll take the car in to be looked at, and I'll be told to change the transmission fluid before they'll really look into the problem.

From experience, I know that changing the transmission fluid will only fix shifting issues temporarily; meaning, the car will act up again the day after the warranty expires.

Would anyone happen to know if Infiniti gives out loaner cars if they're doing warranty work on your own car?
Modified by ZGadson at 4:16 PM 10/23/2007

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”