Guess the damage...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
danco
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S
2012 Nissan Rogue SV w/L package

Hi all,

New to the forum after lurking as a guest for a bit. Yesterday, I was in a 3 car accident, and I was in the middle. An F250 rear ended me at about 25 MPH, pushing me into the car in front of me. Luckily, no one was injured and I was the only one in my car. Not much damage done to the F250, thanks to his plow hitch, and the car I hit had a few dents, and had my license plate stuck in his bumper.

http://imgur.com/HZnkw

The trunk door is offset and water will actually leak in a bit. I can't open it, and can see that the trunk inside is messed up too.

http://imgur.com/o7Rpr

The hood is coming up on the passenger side, and the bumper plastics are cracked and scuffed.

http://imgur.com/k8SMP

Insurance is going to look at it Monday, so my question is what do you think it'll cost to get fixed @ my dealership? I wasn't at fault obviously, but am looking for opinions on costs. Thanks for any input, and I'll see what insurance has to say...

-Dan

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

yikes. sorry to hear your accident.

well dealerships are going to just about double the cost, to repair this. they drool at things like this.

the painting will be outsourced(just so you know). dealerships dont paint. they have contracted deals with outside vendors to take new nissan body parts like bumpers and have them painted. but that means, the dealer has to make money on top of it. you could cut the middle man out and go to any shop and have it painted, and then the dealer install it. (money in your pocket)

i see new bumper covers, paint on those, new bumper reinforcements, new tail lights, new lift gate, new license plate holder, new lift gate trim, address the hood(possibly due to rad support bent), bent lift gate support brackets(could lead to totaling the car if they bent critical areas), new coding for the lift gate locking system to your key/vin, clips, tabs, junk

if i had to think of a guess = your looking at $4500-$7000 at the dealer price tag for everything.
(the reason its such a wide guess, is because i cant see what the bumper reinforcement mounts look like behind the plastic & foam bumper cover. hell, they could end up totaling the car due to frame damage because the bumper reinforcement could have buckled the uni-body of the car or that lift gate could have bent the upper portion of the roof support)

you could pocket a load of money by bringing it to a body shop which will reuse all the guts off of your lift gate: locking system/struts/wiper system/glass/interior trim/3rd brake light/etc (a dealer will install everything new as long as the money is available from the insurance). they could order aftermarket tail lights for those that are broken. they would do in house painting, etc.

oh the joys of Uni-Body cars:

Qashqai

Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to got rear ended..When an idiot hit me, the sound was loud...

Just wondering why do you care about the cost? insurance will pay everythnig including the cost of the rental car, right?

I aggree with ImStricken. Also be sure that they used original Nissan parts. I also heard from my bodyshop that, if the car is older than two years old, the insurance companies ask body shops to use second hand parts, repaint them...so somethnig to keep in mind.

Qashqai

oh by the way, don't forget to ask them inspect the exhaust system. When I got rear ended, the exhaust system moved like two inches forward. It may crack the joints of the pipe and muffler CC etc. When the insurance guy comes to look at the car, they sometimes "forget" to check the bottom...

Be there next to your car when they are looking at your car and making an estimate. After they prepare the estimate and you realize a damaged part, that can be painful to add it to the first estimate...It happened to me...

danco

Thanks for the replies! I know that their insurance will take care of it all, just wanted to have some sort of idea going into it all. I got rear ended a few years ago in my Jeep, and got a check for $2000 for repairs, brought it to my body shop, and they did it for $1200. It was all plastics, so I was able to get OEM parts on my own and bring them to be painted and installed. I know that won't be the case for this accident, so I'm pretty clueless as to the cost of it all. I plan on getting under it this weekend to take a look around.

I don't care either way if it's totaled, I'd be happy to upgrade to a '13 Rogue....but it's an '08 Rogue S w/49k on it, so I doubt that the damage will warrant a total loss (unless framework or vital supports are damaged)

Yeah, getting hit sucks and is such an inconvenience. And being winter in Vermont, I'm going to miss my Rogue and how it handles snow/ice while it is in the shop. We'll see how it works out and what they come up with next week.....thanks again!

danco

Qashqai- Thanks for the tips on being sure they use OEM parts, didn't think about that. I'll be sure to have them check the exhaust system as well. I'll make sure to give it a look this weekend as well. Brakes squeak now in the rear, so another thing to add to the list.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

danco wrote:Brakes squeak now in the rear, so another thing to add to the list.
that could be due to the caster & toe misalignment from the rear impact:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

out of all your pics, this one scares me the most: the lift gate looks shifted.

if the lift gate supports tore or bent their respective mountings - major issues. the area that the lift gate struts and hinges mount too is so soft, and gentle on the rogue its not even funny. take your lift-gate and raise it. now look at where the struts join to the car itself, and gently lift the lift gate. watch the whole metal flex like crazy!

Qashqai

danco wrote:Qashqai- Thanks for the tips
Anytime. There are more knowledgeable guys in this forum. I am just talking from my experiences. I am glad that I could gave you few tips.

What do you mean by squeaky breaks? Is it every time you apply the brake or sometimes? just curious.
ImStricken wrote: that could be due to the caster & toe misalignment from the rear impact:
:ohno: I have a squeak problem with my rear brakes as well. Actually not squeak but a loud click noise. It is not everytime I press the break pedal. Here is when it happen. In the morning, I release the foot break, reverse the car from the inclined drive way. Put it into Drive and the first time I hit the breaks, it clicks. It never clicks again until next morning (or whenever I use foot brake, reverse, drive and first stop). Last time I took it to the dealer for an oil change, they clean the rear brakes and said there was a small pebble inside the break system? :rolleyes: After that cleaning, it didn't happen for 2 -3 months. Then started to happen again.

I am not sure if it started to happen after my rear ended accident or not (the car was only 6 months old :mad: ).

Imstricken, do you think it is just a simple adjustment/cleaning issue or I should let them check wheel allignment? The summer tires look OK, no abnormal wear...

I love this forum, but sometimes too much information cause hair loss :poke:

danco

Yes, it's every time I apply the brakes, and it goes away with increased braking power. If I press down firmly, no squeak. If I slowly apply them, then it squeaks until more pressure is applied. I can ride the brakes and it'll squeak the whole time, and as soon as I press a bit harder, it stops.

Qashqai

I know ImStricken, Kerrton and others will laugh but here is my theory:

When the car hits the rear of your car, due to the impact the sand, little stones and other dirt inside the rim fell on to the brake system and although most of them gone, some small stones are now between the discs and brake pads. Maybe that is the reason for that noise?

That is my guess as an average North American driver :gapteeth:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:
danco wrote:Qashqai- Thanks for the tips
Anytime. There are more knowledgeable guys in this forum. I am just talking from my experiences. I am glad that I could gave you few tips.

What do you mean by squeaky breaks? Is it every time you apply the brake or sometimes? just curious.
ImStricken wrote: that could be due to the caster & toe misalignment from the rear impact:
:ohno: I have a squeak problem with my rear brakes as well. Actually not squeak but a loud click noise. It is not everytime I press the break pedal. Here is when it happen. In the morning, I release the foot break, reverse the car from the inclined drive way. Put it into Drive and the first time I hit the breaks, it clicks. It never clicks again until next morning (or whenever I use foot brake, reverse, drive and first stop). Last time I took it to the dealer for an oil change, they clean the rear brakes and said there was a small pebble inside the break system? :rolleyes: After that cleaning, it didn't happen for 2 -3 months. Then started to happen again.

I am not sure if it started to happen after my rear ended accident or not (the car was only 6 months old :mad: ).

Imstricken, do you think it is just a simple adjustment/cleaning issue or I should let them check wheel allignment? The summer tires look OK, no abnormal wear...

I love this forum, but sometimes too much information cause hair loss :poke:
if by "foot brake" you mean the e-brake/emergency brake? then i think your system works just fine. you gotta remember e-brakes work on cables - and sometimes they stretch or get a little kinky and can click right after use. not a biggie.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

danco wrote:Yes, it's every time I apply the brakes, and it goes away with increased braking power. If I press down firmly, no squeak. If I slowly apply them, then it squeaks until more pressure is applied. I can ride the brakes and it'll squeak the whole time, and as soon as I press a bit harder, it stops.
you had a significant impact i must say. if the vehicles wheel alignment is all crazy, your pads could be applied slightly skewed and once more pressure is applied by your foot, the pad could be then settling down straight and no noise. id bring that up to your mechanics.

danco

Took a few quick pictures under the rear bumper.

Here's the bottom of the bumper plastics and what's inside of it. The spare tire well is crushed in a bit and most of the foam in the bumper is broken.

Inside shot of the bumper.

Exhaust looks fine, wheel alignment doesn't look out of whack, to the naked eye anyways. Thanks again for all the thoughts, I'm keeping a mental list for the mechanics.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

can you take a pic of your frame rails?

i wont be surprised if they total you car, mate. looks like your bumper support folded and pushed up against your body crushing it.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

That looks like a write off to me....they pretty much write off any car these days.
Last edited by asoomal on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danco

You're 100% correct. The bumper support is pushed into the spare tire well, as far as the tire itself. It's folded up in multiple places. I'll get a pic of the frame rails tomorrow, see how they took it.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Damn that sucks Danco! Glad to hear nobody got hurt. My guess if it's not totaled is $9,000

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

ImStricken wrote:yikes. sorry to hear your accident.
well dealerships are going to just about double the cost, to repair this. they drool at things like this.
Really? When I banged up my 2011, I took it to a local bodyshop and my local dealership. The dealership's review of the damage was more thorough AND the estimate for repairs was cheaper!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

danco wrote:Hi all,

New to the forum after lurking as a guest for a bit. Yesterday, I was in a 3 car accident, and I was in the middle. An F250 rear ended me at about 25 MPH, pushing me into the car in front of me. Luckily, no one was injured and I was the only one in my car. Not much damage done to the F250, thanks to his plow hitch, and the car I hit had a few dents, and had my license plate stuck in his bumper.

http://imgur.com/HZnkw

The trunk door is offset and water will actually leak in a bit. I can't open it, and can see that the trunk inside is messed up too.

http://imgur.com/o7Rpr

The hood is coming up on the passenger side, and the bumper plastics are cracked and scuffed.

http://imgur.com/k8SMP

Insurance is going to look at it Monday, so my question is what do you think it'll cost to get fixed @ my dealership? I wasn't at fault obviously, but am looking for opinions on costs. Thanks for any input, and I'll see what insurance has to say...

-Dan
So what did your insurance say?

danco

Hey all, just got done dropping it off at the shop and picking up the rental.

The insurance agent was thorough and did a good job looking it over. Took pictures of it all and had an estimate to me a couple hours later. The initial estimate is $5400. Obviously, if (when) they find more, that will go up.

When I brought it to the shop, they said that was a pretty good estimate for the damage that could be seen, still need to get into it and see what lies underneath everything. Thanks to tips from you guys, I made sure to mention checking the exhaust, brakes, and I made sure all major parts were OEM, which they were. Total number of labor hours quoted is 42. I'll post more as I hear from the shop, as I'm sure there will be some surprises.

They are ordering parts and will start on it Thursday, hopefully finishing by Dec 21. I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty for a rental, not bad, but not my Rogue! Thanks again for all the feedback

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

danco wrote:Total number of labor hours quoted is 42.
42x$75/hour = $3150

i say that car is damn near totaled.

kingjman
Car: Rogue AWD SL

Totaled

Just about due for another tranny, 1st one replaced at 40k

Hit head on during a nighttime snow storm.....kid tried to pass a semi without enough room..got over as much as I could, but snow bank prevented me from getting all the way over, he just caught my driver headlight..I was stopped/stuck, but he was doing 40-50 I guess(55mph road)..both side airbags went, but not steering wheel....frame was also bent ...during the police interview the kid was complaining the semi wouldn't slow down for him to get around....he was also only a mile from his destination.

SL AWD with bose
Bank gave me $16,500, owed 10k.
I miss it, but would never buy another Rogue.

......anyone in MN need a cargo cover?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

damn dude, thats nuts!

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

kingjman wrote:

I miss it, but would never buy another Rogue.
Just curious... Why?

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

kingjman wrote:Hit head on during a nighttime snow storm.....kid tried to pass a semi without enough room..got over as much as I could, but snow bank prevented me from getting all the way over, he just caught my driver headlight..I was stopped/stuck, but he was doing 40-50 I guess(55mph road)..both side airbags went, but not steering wheel....frame was also bent ...during the police interview the kid was complaining the semi wouldn't slow down for him to get around....he was also only a mile from his destination.
I hope you're physically OK after an accident like that!

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Gah damn. glad you're ok man. Kids these days...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rdub2k4 wrote:Gah damn. glad you're ok man. Kids these days...
hey OP, that kid wasnt driving a sporty car, with a wing, and some crazy colored rims? was he? if so - i might know who it is.... LOLOLOL/jkjkjkj :chuckle: :chuckle:

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

ImStricken wrote:
rdub2k4 wrote:Gah damn. glad you're ok man. Kids these days...
hey OP, that kid wasnt driving a sporty car, with a wing, and some crazy colored rims? was he? if so - i might know who it is.... LOLOLOL/jkjkjkj :chuckle: :chuckle:

TurboSauce
Car: 2006 G35 coupe, 2018 Mazda CX-9

Thread Jacking at it's finest

Return to “Rogue Forum”