GTR33 - how to remove centre console?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
notyouraverage1

I would like to attempt removing the centre console, but am worried I will crack it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Are you talking the dash piece that is all one piece from the bottom of the radio all the way around the main cluster?
If so, I can help.

FIrst off, lower your steering wheel to the bottom, then remove the upper and lower steering column covers. Should be 6 screws, one of which is above the tilt steering lever. Doing this step isn't necessary, but it makes removing/replacing the dash panel much easier.

Next, remove your shifter knob and pop out the shifter cover/boot piece. Just pops out with just a little pull from the back of the cover. You'll need to remove the plug for the cigarette lighter so you can move the cover out of the way. After that, remove your ash tray.

There are two screws under the shifter cover and two screws behind the ash tray. Once those are out, very carefully pull the bottom of the center dash panel. It will just pop off. Then work your way up to the top by the center vents then around the part of the dash under the main cluster, but don't try to pull the dash out of the way.

Once you have the dash pulled off, you'll need to reach behind and unplug the power mirror control on the right. You'll also need to unplug the rear window defroster, the hazard blinkers and the clock. There is also a small plug on the part that goes under the main cluster where there is a hose below it. It's kind of tricky to get to these plugs, but you can do it. Also, it's easier to remove/replace the dash panel if the driver side door is open.

Once you have that done, you're home free.

Now, if you're talking the center armrest consel, follow the step for removing the shifter boot then open your center storage compartment. There are 4 screws in the base of that pocket that need to be removed. I can't remember if there are any screws at the front under the shifter cover.

Hope this helps!

notyouraverage1

Thank you so much for all that!!!!!

How long do you think it would realistically take one person to remove all this, including the center armrest console? Also, is this likely to be where a spy gps tracking device could be hidden? (I know the car has an after market one installed but haven't been able to find it yet, which is the reason I would like to attempt and remove the interior etc...

Thanks once again!!!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Spy GPS tracking device? Ummm...I've NEVER heard of that. Any proof on this? Only thing I know of under the center counsel is the G-sensor for the ATESSA system. As far as I know, only the R34's had any kind of theft deterrent ignition system, but I have never heard of spy GPS systems on any of the 3rd, 4th or 5th gen GT-R's.

As for total removal, if everything goes smoothly, 5-10 minutes for steering column, shifter and dash bezel. Maybe another 5-10 minutes for the center counsel.

I've done in pretty quickly, but I've also done it many times. On your first go, take your time and learn how it all works.

notyouraverage1

Gold Digger wrote:Spy GPS tracking device? Ummm...I've NEVER heard of that. Any proof on this? Only thing I know of under the center counsel is the G-sensor for the ATESSA system. As far as I know, only the R34's had any kind of theft deterrent ignition system, but I have never heard of spy GPS systems on any of the 3rd, 4th or 5th gen GT-R's.

As for total removal, if everything goes smoothly, 5-10 minutes for steering column, shifter and dash bezel. Maybe another 5-10 minutes for the center counsel.

I've done in pretty quickly, but I've also done it many times. On your first go, take your time and learn how it all works.
Thank you!

It's an add on, didn't come with the car :)

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Oh. So it's like a Low Jack type aftermarket GPS tracker? Why not ask the previous owner where it was located?

notyouraverage1

Because it was actually my controlling ex who installed it in order to keep track of me...

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Forgive me for this, but...

BWAAAHAHAHA!!!

Ahem...Ok. It all makes sense.

Now that I've composed myself...

Man, honestly, it could be damn near anywhere in that car. I'd gut the interior by pulling everything that's simple. Front and rear seats, lower knee pad under the steering wheel, glove box, ECU kick panel cover. Hell, it could even be located somewhere under the car or the engine bay.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Hey, dude.

Any luck on finding that GPS locator? How did the dash disassembly go?

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

I think it would be somewhere easy and quick to get to.
Did your ex have enough time (and knowledge) to pull the dash apart? I'd say unlikely.....
Check the easier to access areas like Golddigger said.

Also, it could be a magnetic box, and simply stuck in a wheel well, or just under a sill panel.
Maybe even in the spare wheel well?

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”