gtr registration in US

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Tyler193
Car: rb25 s14

I posted this earlier but got deleted. I was reading up and was wondering if someone could clear this up for me.. i know that a vehicle can be imported if its 25 years old but i was wondering how the registration process of it would go. On the cbp web site it says:

Before you can register a foreign registered vehicle, car or motorcycle in the U.S., you must be able to prove that you or someone else filed an entry with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will not register a vehicle that has been imported into the U.S. without proof an entry was filed with CBP and proof the vehicle conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. If the vehicle does not conform to U.S. emissions or safety standards, you will not be able to register it in the U.S. You will either have to bring it up to U.S. standards or export the car.

So does this mean you can import the car but not register it?? Or if its exempt from dot standards will it be exempt from the dmv standards so you can register it?? Someone help me out!!!!

nijuT
Car: 2012 Volt

Once it is 25 years old, it is exempt. Your summary of entry, hs-7, and 3520-1 should be all the state DMV requires, but each state is different. In Arizona, those 3 pieces of paper were all that I needed. In California, for example, it is a whole other ballgame.

Tyler193
Car: rb25 s14

thanks for clearing that up for me!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”