GTR prices

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
bigbadberry3

Several years ago, my goal was to own a GTR by 25 and was well on my path to doing so. But every year, Nissan puts me down just a little. Maybe another 9 grand down more each year since the GTR has landed. Will its price ever stop going up?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/01/ni ... up-to.html (only for the table at the bottom)
:cry:

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

Well considering the upgrades since then, I think the price hikes were justified.

Think of how the Datsun S line was like. The 240Z was the cheapest money could buy and performed exceptionally, then every generation afterwards added more stuff in the mix along with a heftier price tag. But was it worth it? Heck yes.

bigbadberry3

I must admit I do not know anything about the Datsun S line but the GTR is up about 50% its original msrp in 5 years :( I'd be OK with a GTR that was still sub 3.5 0-60 for 70k and not a sub 3 (although it is awesome) for 110K

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I am guessing you aren't wanting to buy used? I'm pretty sure you can get a good condition used car for under 70K right now. Might be a couple years old, but hey...

But be aware, maintenance costs on those things are astronomical.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, maintenance costs are one of the main reasons I'm not considering one.

bigbadberry3

Gold Digger wrote:I am guessing you aren't wanting to buy used? I'm pretty sure you can get a good condition used car for under 70K right now. Might be a couple years old, but hey...

But be aware, maintenance costs on those things are astronomical.
Exactly why I would not buy a use. Under warranty is one thing but out of pocket is another.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I'm talking things like brake pads, oil changes, the likes.

I have heard that replacing brake pads are somewhere in the $1k ball park range. Or was that rotors? Hell, I can't remember.

Those things, I don't think, are covered under a factory warranty.

Raybrant
Car: 2005 CS 350Z

Also hear the tyres only last about 10k miles. And they're expensive, unique tyres.

tyndago

Gold Digger wrote:I'm talking things like brake pads, oil changes, the likes.
I have heard that replacing brake pads are somewhere in the $1k ball park range. Or was that rotors? Hell, I can't remember.
Those things, I don't think, are covered under a factory warranty.
If you have a 70k car, you have to pay to play. We aren't talking about a Nissan Sentra here. The GT-R is a high performance vehicle. It uses high performance parts, which are more expensive than what your Moms Toyota Camry uses. Its pretty much a fact of life.

With that said, from the dealer the prices are pretty out there. The old way the dealer did the brakes was to replace everything as a unit - front and rear rotors, front and rear pads. You can get brake rotor replacements from DBA for about $900 MSRP for a set. http://www.2009gtr.com/2012/03/nissan-g ... rades.html. The AP's are more, but they last about 6 times as long as the stockers on the track.

The brake pads are pretty standard. Hawk, Carbotech, Ferodo, Performance Friction, Pagid, and others make them. They are huge. D1382 pad shape. Prices range from just over $150 for a front set to about $1000 for a set of Endless endurance pads.

I have a buyers guide I wrote up and try and keep up to date. http://www.2009gtr.com/2010/12/used-nis ... -2011.html

The transfluid is astronomically expensive. It feels and tastes like an ATF, but it has some magic go go something pixie dust that makes it cost $79.99 MSRP from Nissan. You need about 8-9-10. Some guys run the Pentosin.

The trans is pretty new, very complicated, and has some odd policies from Nissan regarding fixing it. Its not as scary as it might seem, but everyone wants to be chicken little on them. ~5k on one, and it will handle 787 whp on 91 octane at 21 psi.

tyndago

Raybrant wrote:Also hear the tyres only last about 10k miles. And they're expensive, unique tyres.
I am happy when my tires last 3 hours.

The OEM tires are a standard compound, lowest treadwear of 140, far from any kind of competition special tire. From the factory, there were three runflat tire choices filled with nitrogen. Front tires are a 255/40/20. Rear tires are a 285/35/20 The premium tire was the Bridgestone Potenza RE070, it is a treadwear 140 tire. The Bridgestone tires run about $1700 a set. The base tire was the Dunlop SP SPORT 600 DSST CTT, that is a treadwear 200 tire. The Dunlop 600's run about ($1780 a set). The Dunlop is the quick tire for the Nissan GT-R on the track. It will have a little more road noise than the Potenza, but on a track, it will be a few seconds a lap faster than the Potenza. The last choice, which might be your first choice would be the all season Dunlop 7010 all season tires, treadwear 240. They cost about $1816 per set. The all season Dunlops come standard with the cold weather package.

Overall tire height is important to a GT-R because of the all wheel drive system. If you change tires or wheels, pay attention to the heights. If you do not, you could damage the all wheel drive system, and have a non functioning ABS/VDC. According to the service manual no more than 12 mm of difference in height front to rear. Actual tire life depends on the tire, wheel alignment, and how the car is used. Some GT-R owners have mounted 285/35/20 tires to the front of their GT-R, on front wheels, and it works out well.

http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/09/nissan-g ... tment.html

bigbadberry3

Anyone have any experience with the new TT RS? More in my price range now....

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

bigbadberry3 wrote:Anyone have any experience with the new TT RS? More in my price range now....
Me. My friend and i swapped cars for the day, its a very fun car to drive especially with the launch control. Feels like a miniature GT-R. He has a boost controller, down pipe and tune and he clocks in consistent mid 12's at the drag strip.

If you really want a GT-R i would wait another year or so, the redesign will be out and the price might drop a decent amount.

R35's are absolute douche mobiles, too bad I still want one.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”