Groaning sound when turning steering wheel...

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
NICONick
Car: 1993 S13

OK so lately when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds, and maybe higher (just can't hear), I hear a groaning sound. I thought no big deal, must just be low on power steering fluid... Fill up the PS fluid, which was low, and still have the groaning sound... Any Ideas?

NICONick

OK so lately when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds, and maybe higher (just can't hear), I hear a groaning sound. I thought no big deal, must just be low on power steering fluid... Fill up the PS fluid, which was low, and still have the groaning sound... Any Ideas?

Klits562
Car: white s13 coupe

could be a leak somewhere in your power steering system, mine did similiar things when my ps fluid was low but i have mad leaks in the system so im guessing the lack of pressure is causing the rack to operate incorrectly thus the you get grinding.

Another possiblity which also happened to me is that the bearing on the top of your front struts(the part that bolts to the chassis under the hood) could be bad or even to tight.

Johnnie
Car: 1990 240sx Fastback

cv joints maybe? I had a similar problem in a honda accord when I was 16. I could be wrong, but it's an idea.

chaosli
Car: 89 nissan 240sx coupe FTW
99 mazda miata
93 bmw 325i RIP

either bad pressure hose or bad pump

zeause

Johnnie wrote:cv joints maybe? I had a similar problem in a honda accord when I was 16. I could be wrong, but it's an idea.
:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I was thinking indigestion. Maybe your car ate a honda and its not going down so well. lol Or maybe its your cv joints on your cv shafts on your FWD 240sx. :lolling:

NICONick

Anything I can do to narrow these problems down? I don't think it has anything to do with the suspension, I have had the same set-up (Megan Racing Street Coilovers) for almost a year now, with no real changes...How can I narrow this down to see what it is?

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

lol I didn't know they had FWD 240s :bowrofl:
Does it make the sound only when you're moving or is it when you are parking? The best way to pinpoint it is to have someone work the wheel at different engine speeds while you look under the hood, get yourself a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver and listen to everything. Check the pump, rack, and upper strut mounts/bearing plates. If You can't pinpoint the sound under the hood, check at the wheels, it could be something rubbing down there when you turn the wheel. GOOD LUCK!

Second Shadow
Car: 93' 240sx, s13 blacktop sr20det

your power steering fluid is low. buy a bottle of fluid and fill it, and the noise will go away.

however that's only half your problem. the fun part is figuring out why it's low. if you're lucky it's just a bad hose, if god hates you it could be seals on the steering rack.

CJH
Car: S13

Wheel bearing? When they go bad, you only hear them when you turn.

NICONick

DanThaMan wrote:lol I didn't know they had FWD 240s :bowrofl:
Does it make the sound only when you're moving or is it when you are parking? The best way to pinpoint it is to have someone work the wheel at different engine speeds while you look under the hood, get yourself a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver and listen to everything. Check the pump, rack, and upper strut mounts/bearing plates. If You can't pinpoint the sound under the hood, check at the wheels, it could be something rubbing down there when you turn the wheel. GOOD LUCK!
Mostly when Im parking or pulling out of my driveway or just sitting still, dont really hear anything at all when taking turns at normal speeds...

Second Shadow
Car: 93' 240sx, s13 blacktop sr20det

lol, I should have read that whole post before posting, I saw turning wheel+groaning and jumped. now I feel like a jackass.

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

I would pull the wheels man and look for signs of rubbing, or anything that might have moved causing that groaning when the wheels are turned. If you can't find anything down there, go back and listen to everything with the steth. When I had my dodge ram with big a** tires, one day i heard a groaning sound when parking. I drove myself crazy looking at all the steering parts, it turned out to be a milk jug that jammed up in the wheel well somehow haha. :rotfl

NICONick

DanThaMan wrote:I would pull the wheels man and look for signs of rubbing, or anything that might have moved causing that groaning when the wheels are turned. If you can't find anything down there, go back and listen to everything with the steth. When I had my dodge ram with big a** tires, one day i heard a groaning sound when parking. I drove myself crazy looking at all the steering parts, it turned out to be a milk jug that jammed up in the wheel well somehow haha. :rotfl
I mean they def rub on the fender liners but i mean sicne ive had my coils thats really the only thing that has been rubbing but i will take them off and look around. Thanks for all the help. More comments are welcome tho...

Harman850T5
Car: 2003 350z

It could also be coming from where the steering shaft goes through the fire wall. A lot of Toyotas that have a rubbing kind of groaning sound are just the steering shaft and the boot rubbing. Some White grease or silicone spray does the trick with that.

Klits562
Car: white s13 coupe

get you car jacked up and look at your rack for any signs of leaking. If the rubber boots are ripped peal them back and see if any fluid squirts out.
Mine did that and long story short 400 bucks for a new rack

If your rack is going out when you hear the growning your steering wheel should be hard to turn or may even pull back a little, if your steering doesnt feel right while turning at low speeds then i would say get your rack checked.

NICONick

Klits562 wrote:get you car jacked up and look at your rack for any signs of leaking. If the rubber boots are ripped peal them back and see if any fluid squirts out.
Mine did that and long story short 400 bucks for a new rack

If your rack is going out when you hear the growning your steering wheel should be hard to turn or may even pull back a little, if your steering doesnt feel right while turning at low speeds then i would say get your rack checked.

Steering wheel doesn't feel harder to turn or noticeably anyways....

Brad2010Rogue
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue

2010 Rogue has a moaning groaning rubbing sound when turning steering wheel even at a stand still. Just started a month ago. Hope it's still under warranty even though I haven't had good experiences with Nissan service reps with haughty attitudes will try a different dealership. thanks for the info about the recalls - PCO22? -NTB10019?

BriceYarbrough
Car: 1993 240sx SR20DE

My f-150 has been doing the same thing for the past 2 years and nothing has gone wrong yet, mechanic said it was the diff (even though i knew it wasnt) but i got a new one and same s***, I've learned to ignore it.

BriceYarbrough
Car: 1993 240sx SR20DE

Moral of the story, it shouldnt be too big of a deal.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”