Godspeed sway bars nightmare....any experiences?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Mr240dude
Car: 240sx se hatch.

Today I had my shop try and install front and rear Godspeed sway bars for my 93 240sx. Everything looked to be fine until first we noticed the bushings for the rear bar were too large in diameter.

Suddenly we noticed the good part, the rear sway bar was too short and did not reach the bracket link shown below. I was hugely dissapointed as I read some pretty decent reviews on these. The rear bar is about an inch too short .

The front sway bar took effort getting in because no front brackets were included and my links are slightly pushed back since the front bar is a little too long.

Anyone have any experiences with these? I am demanding a refund or exchange for the rear sway bar. Is it ok to have just the front sway bar upgraded? The car feels a little tighter on turns. I don't want an OEM sway bar in the back and much larger sway bar for the front.

[URL=https://forum-attachments.sfo2.di ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Jake The Snake
Car: S14 SR20DET

It's fine to just upgrade the front sway bar. Many cars come with only a front one. That's really unfortunate that they don't fit. Maybe the shop could make new end links for you by cutting yours and welding in a section. Godspeed is an ebay brand around the quality of megan, but any company can make hit and miss products. If you send them back and want something better, I always hear sikky makes good stuff.

Is your car lowered? That could possibly be part of the problem as well. Not too familiar with s13 sway bars but when I lifted by jeep they would no longer reach so I just removed the rear sway bar. Not a very important piece on a jeep, but obviously important for your 240.

Good luck man!

Mr240dude

Jake The Snake wrote:It's fine to just upgrade the front sway bar. Many cars come with only a front one. That's really unfortunate that they don't fit. Maybe the shop could make new end links for you by cutting yours and welding in a section. Godspeed is an ebay brand around the quality of megan, but any company can make hit and miss products. If you send them back and want something better, I always hear sikky makes good stuff.

Is your car lowered? That could possibly be part of the problem as well. Not too familiar with s13 sway bars but when I lifted by jeep they would no longer reach so I just removed the rear sway bar. Not a very important piece on a jeep, but obviously important for your 240.

Good luck man!
Yeah I already sent them the photos and asked for a replacement. I feel like I had to be the one who got the short end of the stick here. Well let's see if the replacement gives me problems, if so I'm getting my money back plain and simple.

Yes my car is lowered on coils. Thanks for the feedback I shall see what happens.

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

I have the godspeed rear cross brace for my hatch. Their quality control is very iffy. The mounting holes did not quite align properly. I sent it back and they sent me something again- couldn't really tell if they just repackaged or what. I took it to a machine shop and had them modify the hole and still had to muscle it to get it to fit. Their customer service wasn't too thrilling either. I'd return it and find a different manufacturer for a sway bar.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

I am not surprised by that poor fitment. You really get what you pay for when you go with any chinaspeed manufacturer.

Eddiemac
Car: 93 240sx vert

My megan and tannabe bars fit like stock, as did my suspension techniques. Coils don't matter, i've done every possible equation when it comes to that. And that garbage should be thrown in the trash. It's like looking at your girl and saying "I just saved a bundle on car insurance, I cancelled it and bought crack instead". Then you tell her about your five year plan to be a manager at hardees...

whoareu
Car: 1993 rb25det s2 240sx vert

well my experiences with my swaybars arent bad. i got my godspeed sways when i got the car and had no issues with them. i think they were difficult to get on but that was 6 years ago so i dont recall that well. its hard to F*** up a bar, but making it too short would be one way lol. so i would also try and get my money back and go with another brand in this instance.

Mr240dude

So here is the front sway bar which is installed, as you can see the steering link is slightly pushed back as the bar is a little too big. Will this affect anything? Or should I just be ok the way it is?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

The stiffness of the bar is partly dictated on how long those arms are that go back to the end link (this is how Whiteline can have adjustable bars as you change how long the fore/aft section runs). So in short, it's not gonna be an issue that the end link is bushed back a little. It might end up causing extra wear and tear on the end link. If it's something you worry about and can't sleep at night, upgrade to some aftermarket end links.

To give you an idea, I snagged these two pictures from MOTO IQ

-This is an ideal bar. Most bars make compromises in design for bits and pieces of the car to snake around. Those extra angles and shapes can be tough to model.

-This is the formula you would use to dictate the strength of the arm. As you can see the arm length plays a square effect on determining the strength of the arm. The diameter plays the biggest part however. All measurements are in inches for this formula.

Mr240dude

Hijacker wrote:The stiffness of the bar is partly dictated on how long those arms are that go back to the end link (this is how Whiteline can have adjustable bars as you change how long the fore/aft section runs). So in short, it's not gonna be an issue that the end link is bushed back a little. It might end up causing extra wear and tear on the end link. If it's something you worry about and can't sleep at night, upgrade to some aftermarket end links.

To give you an idea, I snagged these two pictures from MOTO IQ

-This is an ideal bar. Most bars make compromises in design for bits and pieces of the car to snake around. Those extra angles and shapes can be tough to model.

-This is the formula you would use to dictate the strength of the arm. As you can see the arm length plays a square effect on determining the strength of the arm. The diameter plays the biggest part however. All measurements are in inches for this formula.
Thanks that actually helped. I guess I won't worry much about it.

Mr240dude

:gotme This may sound silly but I just noticed something here. If you compare the pics of the rear sway bar installed on my car to the picture of the bar installed on Godspeed's page, you'll see the shop had placed my bar facing the wrong side. Could this possibly be the reason the bar seemed too short to install? :gotme

Image[/URL][/img]

Image[/url][/url]

Return to “240sx General Discussion”