Getting the KA ready

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Josh
Car: My car

I was told to bring my post here, so here it is.

Allright, I want to rebuild my KA24DE. It only has 115,000 miles but I want to build it up reasonably well and then turbo it in a year or two down the road. Modest HP and torque gains would be nice, but I'm looking for a strong, reliable NA engine with low compression right now.

So what I'm asking, since I dont do things like this everyday, is what would be a good list of items to buy and replace (and recommendations on brands/types etc). And please note that I would be doing this as a senior project for high school, and dont want to go over $1000 in parts.

Can it be done? And Be worth while?

All suggestions are welcome.

BinaryVertigo

lol be gently to the guy

it all depends on your definition of "parts"

to some people it's forged rods/pistons/stainless steel valves/springs/port n polished head.....etc...the works

while to others it just means to get the necessary parts to return the motor to fresh factory condition

while i think you could do this under 1000 easy, it all really depends on the condition of your motor

if you're plannin to have a shop do it....extend your budget to 1500+ for labor

take care

Josh

Work will be done myself (the installing of parts and ****) unless it must be done at a shop (machining, etc)

My engine is in good condition right now, just has more miles then I would like. I want the engine to be strong, reliable. I would also like HP and torque gains... I was just wandering how far $1000 would get me in parts, and the list of the needed/desired parts.

george
Car: autocross

$1000 is not much to work with, i mean if you are going to open the motor up and go through all that hassle of doing it yourself why not increase the compression and give the head a serious port and polish and some high lift cams? i mean you would need gaskets bearings, might as well do the water pump, pistons and rings....etc. if your gonna do it do it right or just leave it alone....there is no reasonable budget when it comes to going fast.

UnderPressure

Dude, almost everyone here knows what its like to spend everything on your cars and still need 5K more. Basically what you have to ask yourself is "Is food really important?" "If i take this girl out, am I going to score?" The answer to both is no, of course. So save all your money, sell your soul, get a student loan, and turbo the little fu.cker until 1)you die 2)you get arrested 3)you sell if for more money and get an s15 imported.Thats all you need to know.

Flash

if that doesnt work, man whore yourself. I do. . . .

Josh

Underpressure, you have a perfect philosophy on life, and are completely right. I've decided not to do this yet and put it off a little so its done right.

And George, I said I wanted to turbo the engine a little later, which is why I wanted to keep a somewhat lower compression.

george
Car: autocross

yeah but if you decrease compression and dont have a turbo you will lose power...a low compression engine begs for a turbo. you cant be driving around with a low comp engine and no turbo...thats illegal, or it should be

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

True...

Low compression = low power

But when you combine it with a turbo you can run more boost.

High compression with lot of boost is a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse, unless your running race fuel.

When building an engine, you have to do one or the other, you need to know the direction you are going, in this case it seems like you know what you want to do, but if you build the engine mainly for turbo you will be disappointed at how little power you have, especially if you lower the compression to put on a turbo down the road. Save up your money and do it the way you want it and do it the right way.

Rick

jrc90240sx

Ok all this take of rebuilding with High or low compression. all that really comes down to is how much power you want. if you want about 200 HP just go hp compression, if you want around 250-300 i would say stay stock compression, and build the bottom end up, if you want over 300 drop the compression.

I am giong to be rebuilding my engine, i have the KA24e so its alittle difrent then what your building. i am going to stay with the stock 9.1 compression, just build up the bottem to take 8-12psithen do some head work and a mild cam.

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

i dont think the stock 9:1 can take anything over 10-12 psi dude

jrc90240sx

not stock, rebuild the botom end, new forged pistons and rods. but keep the stock 9.1:1. or even go with a 9.5:1 and use a copper head gasket that drops it down between 9.4 to 9.2. and you could run over 20 pis on a 9:1 compression with proper engine manigment, and a strong enough engine. look at some new cars that have 10:1 with aftermarket turbo kits hitting 8-10psi.

ST240
01' Pathy

it rather go 8.2:1 with 34 psi :pface

-Andre

jrc90240sx

well i am only looking for 250 to 300 rwhp. so having a 9.5 compression, i would have a more usefuly power band then if i was at 8.2. if i wanted 350+ yeah your 8.2 would be better. But it all comes down to what you want.

ST240
01' Pathy

very true this :)

-Andre

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”