gas mileage?? only getting 230 miles a tank (14 mpg)???

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
lucsious
Car: 350z

k so finally just burned a tank filled it up untill light came on filled it up again.. cost me 50.00 canadian and gas is at 81 cents a litre.i clocked the distance from time of fill up to the time the empty light came on and it read 230 miles.

is somthing wrong here.. what is everyone else getting.. im reading 350-375 that other people are getting if thats right then mines really off. is it not??

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Realize, that the light comes on before the tank is anywhere near empty.

On my G35, I have 3.5-4 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on.

Assuming the Z has the same capacity (20 gallons). Then you have 230/16= 14.375 gallons. Seems kind of low to me. You should be seeing 16-20.

aris_unlimited
Car: 1998 Ford F150 4.6L 5 speed. Edge programmer, 2" lift, 35" tires.

yeah I would say something is not right. I usually get 375ish to a tank. On average I get about 27 miles per gallon. No idea what is going on with yours, though you may wanna take it to the dealership if it is still under warranty.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

aris_unlimited wrote:On average I get about 27 miles per gallon.
27mpg? Do you drive like a granny? I'm getting 21-22 on the hwy. Maybe 23 if I keep the speed down. I know the slightly different Cd and 200lbs isn't making that big of a difference.

lucsious

yeah i thought so and i could of sworn i read 10 miles per gallon on my reader..but im also used to km as im in canada my past cars would get 400-450 kms a tank just regular gas. not premium. so 230 miles is 360 kms still low but then its a performance car. my friends slk 500 mercedes gets 400kms a tank

lucsious

ok just checked it again and its says 14 mpg. so thats not right is it?? it should be higher...what could be wrong??

R350Zz33
Car: 2008 350z enthusiast

could be ur driving style i get around 11-13 mpg im a very aggressive driver

lucsious

yeah makes sence..lolil try driving slower and see what it says

R350Zz33

its not really weather u drive slow or fast its more of smart driving not giving it gas when ur a lil bit away from a stop sign shifting at slow rpms drafting ect proof of smart driving is in my pix.

lucsious

holy wow! ill say..what other tips do you got.. like wow! teach me...lol

ldstang50

rixhie this is what makes people question you, you first post this
R350Zz33 wrote:could be ur driving style i get around 11-13 mpg im a very aggressive driver
then you post this
R350Zz33 wrote:its not really weather u drive slow or fast its more of smart driving not giving it gas when ur a lil bit away from a stop sign shifting at slow rpms drafting ect proof of smart driving is in my pix.
so which one is it?

To the OP, as far as getting better gas mileage, easy acceleration, drive slower on the highway 65 70 mph. The faster you go on the highway the worse mileage you get, not only because of increased RPMs but also the strain on the motor to keep the car maintaining a higher speed

lucsious

is there any mods you can do for better mileage?

R350Zz33

intakes and a reflash should have u get better gas milage. i do get 11-13 i can do better but its hard for me to hold back thats one of the rare times that i tryed to get good gas milage other then that i have really bad road rage and everyone on the road pisses me off and i get madder and certain music just gets me pumped thats why i get 11-13 i dont know what her excuse is lol

lucsious

reflash? intakes? dont mean to sounds girly..but what are they and what do they do?like cold air intake? has anyone done it and has it improved mileage?

R350Zz33

yes by intake i mean a cold air intake or even a ram air and a reflash basically puts different maps in the computer to better accommodate ur mods. and dont worry about sounding girly i have plenty of guy friends that dont even know what a brake caliper is .

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

ldstang50 wrote:To the OP, as far as getting better gas mileage, easy acceleration, drive slower on the highway 65 70 mph. The faster you go on the highway the worse mileage you get, not only because of increased RPMs but also the strain on the motor to keep the car maintaining a higher speed
To counter driving slower, you need to find the sweet spot in the RPMs for optimal mileage. On the HR engine, this is around 3000 RPM. Just for kicks, I played a bit with the trip computer on a long road trip.

These were taken for 5 minutes with the cruise control in the flat borring terrain of Montana:

65 mph was 24.7 mpg75 mph was 25.3 mpg85 mph was 27.3 mpg95 mph was 24.5 mpg

Speed limit was 75, but Montana is very lax on their enforcement in the rural areas.

I went over 450 miles on the tanks before the low fuel light turned on. Never put more than 18 gallons in to fill up.

Mixed city/hwy driving, I let the trip computer calculate for the whole tank and get 21-25 mpg. Typically the low fuel light turns on at 400 miles.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

not gonna lie... a cold air intake probably isn't going to increase your mileage very much at all. An ECU reflash would hurt your performance, and will definitely void your warranty.

Are you making a lot of short trips? The engine gets its worst mileage when it is cold... being that you are in canada, I'm guessing that happens fairly often.

Watermelonwarrior
Car: 2006 Cayman S 6SPD

lucsious wrote:k so finally just burned a tank filled it up untill light came on filled it up again.. cost me 50.00 canadian and gas is at 81 cents a litre.i clocked the distance from time of fill up to the time the empty light came on and it read 230 miles.

is somthing wrong here.. what is everyone else getting.. im reading 350-375 that other people are getting if thats right then mines really off. is it not??
Seems like your car is full of problems. Did you ever get a carfax on it?

Even if I drive aggressive I still get 15-18 mpg.. I don't see how you could be getting 11mpg unless your keeping in a lower gear and keeping it past 5k rpm

lucsious

car fax? got a history of it yes was owned from one owner was a lease, and its from the u.s.i do drive it pretty hard right now as im still testing her out.

yeah i guess i do make alot of short trips, i run 2 businesses and am allover the place daily not just to work and back.. and yes its really cold here now never thought of that on top of getting stuck in snow once a day..lol

yeah ill plan a roadtrip soon to see what i get without stopping on a tank.

oh and no i get 14 mpgthats cold weathershort tripsgetting stuck in snowaggressive driving.its the roadster so does have that extra 200 lbsand its automatic. (couldnt find a white one standard)

R350Zz33

u dont have to get a reflash u can get a cobb access port tuner works like a reflash and has sever maps including ones for gas millage.i brink the hr above 5,000 all the time and all my driving is city /town.i thought engines liked the cold (preform Better)

_b.jaye_
Car: '03 350Z

not runnin e85 or anything are you?... mines rarely under 22-24 average

lucsious

e85?

p.s how are you attaching pics?i cant figure it out.

R350Zz33

e85 is ethanol. Its a type of fuel that is 85% ethanol (alcohol) and 15% gasoline. It can offer some performance gains when it is used correctly (has a higher equivalent octane rating), but requires more fuel to do it, so your "miles per gallon" decreases, or "liters/100km" increases- whatever the Canadian system is. It probably isn't very readily available in Canada.

edited to elaborate on E85-Papasmurf2k3

R350Zz33

go to tinypic.com upload it there then tack the code and copy and paste here

lucsious

i use sunoco 91 octane level

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Richie, stop filling this thread with info about your personal life that has little to nothing to do with the thread. And engines don't really perform better when they are THAT cold. They run the chance of not burning all the fuel, and have to run richer to maintain driveability and smoothness.

14ish MPG is about right for short trips in the cold, driving aggressively on 91 octane.
lucsious wrote:p.s how are you attaching pics?i cant figure it out.
zerothread/254009
R350Zz33 wrote:i posted lost of helpful things to why do u guys only point out the bad stuff
I only deleted the post that really had nothing to do with the thread, and yes, you did answer some questions for the OP, but she isn't likely to buy a cobb tuner and reflash her ECU... which btw will still void the warranty. I'm sure Nissan won't want to touch your engine after you alter the air/fuel ratios and timing maps. The fact is her car shouldn't need that to perform where she wants it to perform.

BTW, "Lucsious", how many miles are on the car? Efficiency usually increases with mileage on these engines.

raremotive
Car: 04 G35

Do not get intake or reflash .. these will not help your dilemma. Only to make it worse.

There really isn't any modifications for the car. But perhaps the driver.

A good read:

http://www.nicoclub.com/tech/gas-mileage.shtml

Of the big things to understand is how you drive.

At a green light ease on the accelerator slowly, the faster your speed is the more unsteady the fuel flow into your engine is...in turn more unsteady more fuel consumption. Your goal is steady flow for fuel economy.

Second is coasting. Plan ahead, instead of speeding up to a stop light, let the car coast to the stop light. You will need to begin coasting sooner than conventional braking. This here will make you a better driver too. Each time you have to use your brakes is energy lost, and energy you have to make up with fuel. If you coast correctly, you may be lucky enough to get to the light right when it turns green. This means that you will be at motion when it turns which then means less fuel it takes to bring you back up to speed. (Which brings back to the first topic slow acceleration)

Fuel is what puts your car in motion, your goal is to keep it in motion. And that's fuel savings.

If I follow these and I can get 38 mpg out of my daily, all because I choose to drive smart.

And finally during short trips. When you first start your car up it is running on a closed loop to warm your engine up. It adds more fuel to increase the rev at idle. You can spend a few mins letting the car warm up, this also prevents start up wear and tear.

Check air filter and spark plugs.

And remember I am not saying don't enjoy your car. It just costs if you do.

As for pics.. you need to find a image host like photobucket or flickr. Once you upload your image there, they will give you a URL to that image.

Then on here put the URL between [*img]URL[*/img]..note I added * so you can see the code for adding the image tags, you will want to type them without the *. Keep in mind that image host may already provide the [*img][*/img] tag with the url.. then it's just simple copy and paste here.

Enjoy.
Modified by Rare_f8 at 10:13 PM 1/22/2009

R350Zz33

but the cobb accessport tuner can put back the stock maps so it dosent void right. next thing i herd that staying in your tq band will yield better gas mileage. can anyone confirm that. also another technique for better gas mileage is called hyper-mileing this is a real thing look it up and study it if ur interested u can get really good gas mileage wit theses techniques but some are kinda dangerous i dont recommend this to someone that has no balls. (cause cruising dow the highway at 70mph, feet from the back of a 18 wheeler with the engine off is kind of scary)

spitalul2bad
Car: Nissan 350z Roadster - REV-UP Engine
Opel Vectra C
BMW E30 6cylinder 2000cmc

lucsious wrote:yeah i thought so and i could of sworn i read 10 miles per gallon on my reader..but im also used to km as im in canada my past cars would get 400-450 kms a tank just regular gas. not premium. so 230 miles is 360 kms still low but then its a performance car. my friends slk 500 mercedes gets 400kms a tank
I live in Europe so we have kilometers here too. When you really push the car, you can actually get 360 km on a tank... I get about 400 km when I do drive... spirited. And only city stop-go traffic driving will get you about 400. However, long distance, highway/freeway driving will get you about 150 more... if you take it easy (and abide the legal speed limits).

That's the way the Z goes

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

R350Zz33 wrote:but the cobb accessport tuner can put back the stock maps so it dosent void right. next thing i herd that staying in your tq band will yield better gas mileage. can anyone confirm that. also another technique for better gas mileage is called hyper-mileing this is a real thing look it up and study it if ur interested u can get really good gas mileage wit theses techniques but some are kinda dangerous i dont recommend this to someone that has no balls. (cause cruising dow the highway at 70mph, feet from the back of a 18 wheeler with the engine off is kind of scary)
That's not hyper mileing, that'd drafting - they're completely different, and following a semi 2-3 feet back is the dumbest thing you can do on the road, and hopefully if you do it a cop catches you and tickets you for tailgating.

Hyper mileing is coasting as much as possible before coming to a stop.

OP - you want better gas mileage? Here's how:

Don't bring your RPM's over 2500 when accelerating. Do as much driving at one time as possible, as your car runs more efficent over longer periods of use instead of short runs. Consider using a higher viscosity/synthetic oil.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”