Gas Mileage and Windshield

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
rockwall

I purchased an 05 Murano SE AWD 4 months and have had numerous problems, the first one was that the windshield cracked while it was in the garage overnight, there is no rock chip and there was not a drastic temperature change. I have seen numerous Murano's with the Windshield cracked, don't know if this is a common problem. According to the Computer readout we only 17m/G and it does not vary very much between City and Highway, this is about 5m below what I expected on the Hwy. Other problems have been the tire presure indicator states the tires are flat, the engine warning light came on for 2 days and then went off and one of the key fobs does not work and this is also used as a keyless start, the dealer cannot figure it out and the service is so bad to previous vechicles. The car only has 4000 miles on it so it worries me how many more problems we will have, all the dealer said is we should have paid to upgrade the Warranty.

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

can you still upgrade the warranty?

since it is so new, I would start to take videos, photos of varies problems

depending on where you are located you can proabbly get a replacement/money back

someone else might know more about this

if mpg is your confern. reset the trip meter every single time. And divide the numbers of miles driven by how much you filled up and you will have your mpg

I have a swapped motor, depending on local/hwy and driving behavior. I can get from 16mpg to 20+ mpg

try it yourself

NISTECH

First you can go to any nissan dealer for warranty work you dont have to go to that one. Second you can get your warranty upgraded as long as you are still under factory warranty. Go to ANY nissan finance department and inquire about getting it.

The murano is not that prone to problems. yes they do have bugs like any other vehicle. The murano specifically in the nissan line up is probably one of the lesser prone to bugs vehicles. The key issue is an easy fix , if the dealer you use isnt figuring it out you have choices here. You state likely has lemon law buy back laws. If you return for the same problem so many times you can have it bought back. Nissan would preffer to "TRADE" you out of it instead of buying it back as that destroys the title. SO calling 1-800-nissan1 can get the ball rolling. First tell them you are considering having it bought back as its not getting fixed. Then after a long winded wine suggest or at least trade me out of it. They may jump on that quicker then the buy back method since the car has low miles the sooner they get it the more they can get on resale with out the branded title. I personally feel you are having a combination of bad luck with your particular car and inexperianced nissan techs working on it. I am a nissan tech and have seen whats out there. Nissan techs with years of nissan experiance or automotive experiance in general are harder and harder to find. I know of one dealer [ one I used to work for] that now has not one experianced nissan tech working there now. 10 or 11 guys and they have 0 nissan back ground and little automotive knowledge in general. I left there in march of this year 3 days later another master tech left. since then the dealer has been on a steady downward spiral and can not find any good nissan techs to take a job there. You may be dealing with just such a dealer. I strongly recommend you find another even if it is slightly out of the way.

Lastly do not trust the milage computer it can have as much as a 5 mile discrepancy. I believe it states that in the owners manual. Do it the old fashion way to be sure. Write down your milage when you fill up. Then when you fill up the next time write down the milage and subtract your original milage. Divide the total by the amount of gallons you put in to come up with a realistic fuel milage.

LEPoo
Car: 2004 Nissan Murano

Nistech,Excellent & thorough answer. I hope you are still checking this site so you will reply to me also. I have a '04 Nissan Murano - quite happy with it, no problems (and I say "whew" after reading some of the above!) but one month after I bought it, and since then, GAS prices have been jumping into extremes! NOW the 20 mpg bothers me (especially since I live in the country and it is an hour drive to town, etc.). Some people have told me ways I can increase my gas mileage, from headers to exhaust system to catalytic converter (removal), but I wanted to ask a Nissan Tech:What have you doneWhat have you seenWhat are the resultsand what do you Rx?

Thanking You in Advance,Linda Peoples

You may reply here or directly to my email of : [email protected]

NISTECH

Hello Linda. I am still around, just not as frequently as the past. I have really done nothing to increase the milage on any of these. There are little tricks to ever so slightly increase fuel milage, but its nothing that is new news or gonna really give you a astonishingly lower gas bill. Some tricks are to slightly increase the tire pressure to around 40 psi. Although this is not recommended by tire manufacturers or Nissan as it will wear the tires out in the middle much quicker. So cost of the tires should be considered.

Other basic things are to be sure the oil is right on the full mark not to high not to low and that it is kept clean. Make sure all your fluids are fairly fresh and at their correct levels. Make sure you get your tires rotated regularly. This keeps the tire wear even and prevents drag from cupped or uneven tread.

For my own personal relief from the fuel pinch I have a little car called a geo metro 1991, 43 to 47 MPG. this was my work commutor when I was traveling over 70 miles a day back and forth to work. The car was cheap and all insurances and registrations were extreamly cheap. The fuel savings alone in one years time, as compared to what I was driving, Payed for itself including the insurance and registration. Yea Its might be a car you would be embarressed to be seen in but when you compare your fuel bill to the guy laughing at your car fuel bill. Whos laughing now?

LEPoo
Car: 2004 Nissan Murano

Yay Nistech! So grateful for your reply! I have previously gone 'the extra car route'. We live in the country and therefore HAVE to have at least 1 extra car anyway. We have 'downsized' to 5 vehicles - excluding tractors- and I hate to increase that # again. I do exactly what you have RX'd so far ( tire rotating and pressure, fluids, etc.). I live in a state where there is no annual inspection of vehicles - what do you think of my removing the catalytic converter? People tell me it would greatly increase my fuel mileage - would it mess up computer settings or anything else in the Murano? Thanks so much for your input. Reply here or to:[email protected]

NISTECH

You will set engine codes,also they are starting to use the Rear o2 for fuel control on some of the newer cars. It is not a main control but does have a slight effect on fuel mixture. Due to this you MAY have adverse reactions to your fuel consumption. In other words gutting or removing the cat may axtually decrease your fuel milage instead of having the gain you desire.

COPlaneGeek
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano SE

I am averaging 21MPG and I live in Denver, so I am a mile high and all naturally aspirated vehicles up here get worse then stated mileage. I am actuially at 5900' MSL. I do a decent mix of city and HW driving too. I am curious to see it on a roadtrip. I have been calculating mileage at pump and computer is very accurate too. I am interested in putting a turbo on it as that helps a lot up here and on the way to the slopes where roads go over 11,000'MSL. Our '06 Passat 2.0T has much more power then most other cars at the same HP rating.

Return to “Murano Forum”