GAS CAP PROBLEM, SERVICE ENGINE SOON

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
mastequila
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56

Picked up my 2008 QX the other day .. Drove it for 2 days and then the "Service Engine Soon" Light came on ... I was like WHAT THE !!!! ...

So i bring it to the dealer only to find out that if the gas cap is not closed well it can not pressurize as needed and throws back an error code .. Wondering if anyone else had this problem..

Sucks because they filled it up and I have not gone thru a tank of gas yet, so the dealer is the one who did not tighten the cap ..

Just wonder what everyone thinks about this ...

808QX56
Car: '04 QX56

Ya, I had that happen to me on my '04. Scared the $hit outta me, I thought something was seriously wrong.

I noticed when I was parking in my garage that I could smell fumes then a day later the light came on. I figured it out pretty quick but still scared me for a moment.

Felt kinda dumb after, damn gas cap!

mastequila

Yea , I agree.

Mine may be something else , noticed the gas gauge was fluctuating almost a 1/4 tank ro more from day to day .. Turns out the dealer said I have a bad sending unit . They need to pull the tank and replace the sending unit .. All this and I have under 500 miles ....

Lets hope this fixes things ..

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

This "issue" is common to all OBDII (1996 and later) vehicles. It happens because the emissions system looks for a good pressurized fuel system to ensure that fuel vapors aren't escaping, but instead are being routed through the closed system. If it sees a loss of pressure it trips the Check Engine Light. Usually the cause is a bad gas cap seal (either caused by a faulty cap or forgetting to re-secure the cap). Rarely, the problem is elsewhere int the evaporative emissions system.

If the CEL is tripping because of a bad gas cap seal, you have nothing to worry about. It won't cause any harm or damage and will reset (light and error code) once the system sees "good" pressure again. Just put the cap back on and after you've driven a while it'll reset.

terminator6868
Car: 2009 Nissan Armada, 2007 Nissan Maxima

Sorry to hear that, how did it turn out?Did they fix the problem?

mastequila

Yea , they fixed it . So for it has been a week and no problmes since the last fix ... Thanks for asking ..

kcab
Car: 11 Versa

Don't Think I Believe this gas cap crap the dealers are coming back with.I have a 2008 I bought new in Nov.17,2008 my "Service engine soon" light came on when I had less than 1300 miles on it in Feb. 21,2009. I've had the car for about 4 mos. with the same locking gas cap on it since I bought it, this cap was also on my 98 King Cab (it had 50Kmi.) and that light never came on. I took the car to the dealer and he said it was a gas cap problem and put the original back on. After a few weeks I went and purchased a new locking gas cap the Stanton 11508/or 10508 depending on which store you buy from. Shortly after the light came back on and has been on for about 2 weeks now. I don't think this is the real problem, is there any way to have these caps checked? And how long does it take for this light to reset? I never let my tank get below 3/4 full.

mastequila

kcab wrote:Don't Think I Believe this gas cap crap the dealers are coming back with.I have a 2008 I bought new in Nov.17,2008 my "Service engine soon" light came on when I had less than 1300 miles on it in Feb. 21,2009. I've had the car for about 4 mos. with the same locking gas cap on it since I bought it, this cap was also on my 98 King Cab (it had 50Kmi.) and that light never came on. I took the car to the dealer and he said it was a gas cap problem and put the original back on. After a few weeks I went and purchased a new locking gas cap the Stanton 11508/or 10508 depending on which store you buy from. Shortly after the light came back on and has been on for about 2 weeks now. I don't think this is the real problem, is there any way to have these caps checked? And how long does it take for this light to reset? I never let my tank get below 3/4 full.
I do not think it was the cap on mine at all... Watch your gast tank meter needle one day .. I was keeping an eye on mine and it was going up and down 1/4 tank just while the car was idling , it did not move fast so it was hard to notice if you do not watch it .. Turns out I had a bad fuel sending unit . They replaced that and never had a problem since .. Guy at the dealer said this was a common problem for these QX .. It was replaced at about 1550 miles and now I am at 3200

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

I had the fuel sending unit replaced on my '08 Armada as well! Same symptoms!

rtdunbar

Me too, I just picked up my Brand new 2009 QX56 from Metro Infinite in Monrovia, California. I had it for less than 12 hours and the Check Engine Light comes on. I take it to the dealer (120 miles away) and they supposedly fix it by securing the gas cap. Then, this morning my Check Engine Light comes back on so now my brand new car will have been in the shop twice within 48 hours of ownership. Has anyone else had this QX56 problem? I am so frusturated!

mastequila

rtdunbar wrote:Me too, I just picked up my Brand new 2009 QX56 from Metro Infinite in Monrovia, California. I had it for less than 12 hours and the Check Engine Light comes on. I take it to the dealer (120 miles away) and they supposedly fix it by securing the gas cap. Then, this morning my Check Engine Light comes back on so now my brand new car will have been in the shop twice within 48 hours of ownership. Has anyone else had this QX56 problem? I am so frusturated!
Tell them to check the fuel sending unit .. I am sure that is it . I was told quite common in these .. Mine has been in the shop 5 times now. Just under 5k miles on it ..

1) Fuel / check engine light / said it was gas cap . 2) Fuel Sending Unit replaced 3) Dvd player Major rattle and Squeaking fixed 4) Dvd player still making a hell of a lot of noise , tried to fix again 5) Both running board plastic covers warping and need to be replaced.

Love this truck , but my major complaints are 1) The handling is rough , all over the place . 2) DVD player rattles a lot and is unwatchable due to it shaking so much ..

Talked to the service guy at the dealer , he said the DVD player is a major design flaw in the QX .. They did not have the roof liner support it enough ..

Engine107
Car: QX56

Hi, I have a 2005 QX56 and I just had to replace my fuel sending unit 2 days ago. My car was 5 months out of warranty and it cost me $385. After looking into this it seems like this is a very common problem - so much so that when I told the dealer service department that my QX56 had died on the highway, he answered with no hesitation "Put some gas in it and drive it in." What the hell? Then you read about Armada's and Xterra's and others having the same problem. Are these all the same sending units? And if they are, why won't Nissan and Infinity do something? I called Infinity Consumer Affairs and they said "Tough luck, we are unaware of any problem" This is no way to treat people who have speant a ton of money on your product. How many models use this same FSU?

Timmbo

Good question, however, I do not know if we will ever find out the real answer. My fuel sending unit was replaced 3 times, yes, that is right, 3 times......but not because it failed on it's own, something else actually caused it to fail. Some valve of some sort that is somehow connected to the fuel sending unit, I can't remember. I was just frustrated that I had to bring it to the dealer 3 times, but I have a great dealer, and between them and Nissan, they got things taken care of. I have been fine now for a year.

mastequila

Update. I still love the car - Not sure how much longer I will say this .. Now at about 6000 miles on my 08 .. Along with all the problems below here is what I need to add.

- Went to a conference about 30 miles away from my house. Went in was there 3 hours , came out car battery dead as a doornail , clicking sound only with no cranking . Had a set of cables and knew a few people that tried to give me a jump, battery would not hold a charge at all !! Had the dealer tow it ( about 50 miles ) at thier expense.

They checked the electrical sys, battery was replaced. They said it shorted out internally. So far working good.

- Transmission - If i let the car sit for 2 or 3 days and go to drive it ,,, when I put in in drive it takes about 12 - 15 seconds WHILE IN DRIVE before it goes into gear. Brought this up to dealer twice " Could not duplicate the problem " and they said it is normal , not sure where they get thier info , but never had this happen with any other car.

I do like the car , but there are some major flaws. The main service writer even told me that they had switched the manufacturing line from USA to Japan because the USA line seems to have so many problems .. I just do not understand why we can not make things as good or better than overseas. Not sure if this is true or false ???

- DVD player still rattling LIKE CRAZY - New roof liner coming in next week - 5th time in for this problem .. I will soon tell them to rip the darn thing out and replace it at thier cost with headrest screens.
mastequila wrote:
Tell them to check the fuel sending unit .. I am sure that is it . I was told quite common in these .. Mine has been in the shop 5 times now. Just under 5k miles on it ..

1) Fuel / check engine light / said it was gas cap . 2) Fuel Sending Unit replaced 3) Dvd player Major rattle and Squeaking fixed 4) Dvd player still making a hell of a lot of noise , tried to fix again 5) Both running board plastic covers warping and need to be replaced.

Love this truck , but my major complaints are 1) The handling is rough , all over the place . 2) DVD player rattles a lot and is unwatchable due to it shaking so much ..

Talked to the service guy at the dealer , he said the DVD player is a major design flaw in the QX .. They did not have the roof liner support it enough ..

Timmbo

Wierd that you have so many problems, that is not normal. I had the battery replaced on my '04 QX56.

FYI, they are moving production to Japan not because of quality issue, but because the new QX56 will be all new and completely different than the current model. They manufacture the current model in Mississippi simply because it is basically a rebadged Armada.

mastequila

Thanks for that info , I just thought that it was odd the service guy himself was bad-mouthing the car.. In that case hope they come out with something awesome ..

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”