G37 & Engine "auto stop"?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
RicoPass76
Car: 2013 G37xS

Hi Folks - new member here, please be gentle...

I'm repatriating to the US from the Netherlands and purchased a G37xS - we had a G35x before our moved and were happy so figured why bother with something different!

While here in the Netherlands I fell in love with the "auto stop" feature that almost every single car has here and I'm wondering if I can "hack" my ECU or something to turn it on?

For clarity, when I say "auto stop" I mean that when I come to complete stop at a light or stop sign for "x" amount of time the engine shuts off while I still have my foot on the brake. As soon as I lift off the brake pedal the engine starts and by the time I get to the gas the engine is ready and I drive away as normal. I don't see the (A) button in the car and nothing in the manual seems to indicate it as a feature.

Yes - I know this isn't a performance feature, no we usually aren't driving for performance anyway but rather commuting and I'd rather have a little more efficiency when stopped at long chicago lights. If it was stock I could simply push the (A) button to turn it off when I did want to keep the engine running full time.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Welcome back to the states Rico! Welcome to NICO.

I'm not familiar with any automatic start/stop systems that can be applied as aftermarket. There is a common thought though that with enough money and know-how, anything is possible. I think, however that the miniscule gas savings you would get from this technology would save you far less money that what you would need to invest in time and money to get it to work.

In fact, from what I've heard, the technology requires more expensive batteries and is really hard on them.. so you'd probably eat up your gas savings in having to purchase and replace the battery.

here's an interesting article: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/0 ... p-systems/

Anyhow.. long story short.. I'm not positive of this, but I do not believe start/stop is a function that can be simply "turned on" by hacking the ECU. I think it requires actual mechanical upgrades to starter, battery and electrical systems in addition to programming in the ECU. The manufacturer would not go through the labor to program the ECU for this if it were not going to be a feature in the vehicle from the start. At this point in time, I don't think there are any "kits" you can buy to DIY either. But, companies like Bosch might be thinking of this for some point in the future.

So.. I wouldn't spend too much time on this if I were you.. But I do like the thinking!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Are vehicles purchased in the Netherlands eligible for import into the US?

When I was in the service in Germany I purchased a brand new VW Beedle and was able to ship it back to the US.
In order to receive permission to purchase a vehicle and register it on base it had to have US specs
Not sure what the current policy is as that was a long time ago.

Telcoman

RicoPass76
Car: 2013 G37xS

Thanks Eikon - I was more concerned about CO2 emissions at idle than gas savings, but I suppose I should have bought a smaller displacement engine if I was /really/ that concerned... I hate seeing cars running sitting at extended idle, but least it's not a V8!

Telcoman- AFAIK they are, but the car we have here is a corporate lease and getting turned in. We bought our G in the states on our "setting up house" visit so no concerns about import for me.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”