G37 Coupe Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
1NF1N1T
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37x Coupe

Does anybody here know how many quarts of automatic transmission fluid my '09 G37x coupe will take and if you have any information about the fill port tool used to fill the transmission fluid up via the fill port on the tranny case?

And yes I know they say it is "not required" and that it lasts the lifetime *cough* 100k of the car :rolleyes:
Last edited by 1NF1N1T on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO!

Check out the FSM (link in my sig) for the specifics.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
7 speed RE7R01A..........9.7 quarts

1NF1N1T

edit: bump.
Last edited by 1NF1N1T on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmckis1029
Car: 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD

2010 G37x w/Prem, Nav, & Wood (sold)

2005 G35x w/Prem C (traded in)

dealer told me not to worry about the tranny fluid unless the A/T light on the dash comes on... fluid supposed to out last the tranny.

i was weary of the tranny fluid also... im at 77k miles and my tranny has been perfect even under my abuse.

1NF1N1T

joe603 wrote:Welcome to NICO!

Check out the FSM (link in my sig) for the specifics.
So I just took a look at the FSM - great work on compiling that - will definitely be referring to that frequently in the future! Anyways upon checking out the TM section under pg. 300 I did confirm what someone else said was 9.2 for a complete refill but I've decided to actually do a drain and fill twice and then a third time in like another 30-40k miles. If anyone knows about how many qts a drain and fill takes up that'd be great to know! (i'm guessing it's about 5-6 of the total 9 and 3/4 qts)

transmechZ
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37x

It's around 4 quarts for a drain/refill. Check the fluid level while running in park, at idle, and level, and lukewarm 100-104 degrees F. I would dedicate a pump for this fluid refill unless you have a lot of vehicles using the Nissan Matic S ATF fluid.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

transmechZ wrote:It's around 4 quarts for a drain/refill. Check the fluid level while running in park, at idle, and level, and lukewarm 100-104 degrees F. I would dedicate a pump for this fluid refill unless you have a lot of vehicles using the Nissan Matic S ATF fluid.
I believe the 7sp is a sealed system so you can't really check the level.

1NF1N1T

transmechZ wrote:It's around 4 quarts for a drain/refill. Check the fluid level while running in park, at idle, and level, and lukewarm 100-104 degrees F. I would dedicate a pump for this fluid refill unless you have a lot of vehicles using the Nissan Matic S ATF fluid.

Right so I did it and I collected about 4 quarts just as you said. Anyways - the job is much simpler than one would think. There are actually two ways to do it. (make sure you have the right tools to loosen and tighten both drain plug and fill plug before you start - a fluid pump is necessary and instead of using a charging pipe I used a rubber hose which fit perfectly into the fill port with no room for fluid to leak out another words a tight fit so it didn't leak when i filled it.)

The first being the practical method in which you will simply drain the fluid at cold temperature and measure how much you collect. Then using a 19$ quart/gallon pump acquirable at your standard auto parts store (autozone or advance auto parts etc.) you just pump however much you measured when you drained it - into the tranny via the fill port which is the plug closest to the front of the vehicle (the one closest to the rear on the tranny case is the drain plug). Obviously you want the drain plug back in for when you do this part.

The other method is a more literal approach that goes off of the method in which Infiniti themselves does it. As some may have already read in the TM section which explains how they do it on page 269 all you really need to do is drain the fluid and pump new fluid back in the same way as the first method, however, this time you will need a module that measures tranny temp via the ecu plugin. Drain the fluid when it's cold then put the the drain plug back on and remove the fill port plug -> pump in about 4 qts, run the vehicle until it's at 40 degrees celsius or 104 degrees fahrenheit. Then while the car is running you just remove the pump's hose from the fill port and watch to see if fluid comes out (if fluid comes out in a stream then it's extra fluid and is overfilled as essentially the fill port is an overfill port.) If it comes out only a little and just dripping then you will need to pump in more new fluid. The result you want is for the transmission fluid to come out in a steady stream while the car is running (drain plug should remain in this whole time since after you put it back on when you originally drained the old fluid, fill plug is what you take on and off to measure fullness) and tighten the fill plug back on once the steady flow of tranny fluid coming out of the fill port stops and starts to just drip. Then start the engine and let it run for like 3 minutes or so and shift through all the gears to mix around the new fluid. Now make sure the temperature is 40 celsius or 104 fahrenheit again. Next remove the fill port plug again and wait until it starts to drip again and pump another quart in - then remove the hose that is connected to your pump from the fill port again and check to see if it comes out in a steady stream of fluid or just dripping. If it does not come out in a steady stream after removing this time then you will need to put in another quart (but this will probably not happen) most likely it will come out in a steady stream and at this point you will wait until it starts dripping again and put the plug back in while its just dripping. That's it.

Personally, I prefer the first method - and since it was just a drain and fill I will be driving for a few hundred miles or so while all the new tf mixes with the rest of the old fluid that doesn't drain out before I do it again. (total transmission capacity is 9.75qts) 1/2 drain and fills complete.

data
Car: 2010 G37X

1NF1N1T wrote:

"Right so I did it and I collected about 4 quarts just as you said..........
Personally, I prefer the first method - and since it was just a drain and fill I will be driving for a few hundred miles or so while all the new tf mixes with the rest of the old fluid that doesn't drain out before I do it again. (total transmission capacity is 9.75qts) 1/2 drain and fills complete."

Just wanted to know how this worked out for you. I see this post is over 3 years old, any transmission problems since after following your outlined preferred method? I thank you in advance for your time, efforts and contributions.

bassfreak85
Car: 2012 G37 journey sedan

g35gurl
Car: 2003 g35 coupe

I know im a girl thats not mechanically inclined but i thought id chime in jus to say i have an 03g35 and the tranny fluid is fine and locked up in a case never to be opened apparentley so.....if mine is still fine this long i thought that would mean something lol :) jill

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”