G35/vq35de clicking at start up

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
mikeg1651
Car: 2004 G35 sedan

Hey fellow members, i am new to this site but figured i would share my solution to the clicking noise at start up that I was having. I had the exact same symptoms as most people. A loud tick or click for about 2-3 seconds but only on a cold start up. Other than that it seemed to run good. I tried the tensioner to no avail. I thought maybe it was a bucket shim so I took the engine apart. in doing so I found the culprit. It was the timing advance components on the intake cam for the passenger side of the engine. The Part that actually bolts to the cam had a good size piece break off and that was making my noise. Anyone wondering if this is their problem could try turning the engine over by hand and listen. Mine would make a loud pop or click every full revolution i would make. I am not saying this is every cars answer but it was mine and i changed the parts and there is no noise whatsoever at startup. i have pics but not sure how to post them on this site.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”