g35 or g37 (both awd)? reliability?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
sara812
Car: 2006 bmw 530xi
2009 gtr

looking to get a new-to-me DD. coming from a 530xi (which keeps breaking on me after only owning it 8 months). looking to spend about 15k (looks like that gets me an 08/09). tired of dealing with unreliable and expensive to repair bmws. test drove a 2011 g37 (dealership didn't have an 08/09 but same gen, not AWD or 4 door either). also test drove a c300 (boring [although comfy and smooth], especially coming from a 5 series and also having a gtr). i did like the g37. i'm looking for a 4 door awd luxury car that fun/comfortable to drive. would a g35 or g37 be better?

how is it reliability wise? true delta says good but usnews ranking & reviews says below average for those years. after looking briefly around here it looks like the g35 is less reliable?

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

I wouldn't say the G35 is inherently less reliable than the G37. All G35s will be older so... I guess it goes without saying they are probably having more issues these days than the newer G37 cars. Some engine years (iirc 05-07?) can have an oil consumption issue. Just make sure you give the car a good look over before you make any moves buying it. Otherwise 2003/2004 cars have other slightly more likely issues with electronic door locks, power seat adjusts, and stock brake pads wearing quickly. The center AC/stereo console can get screwy and not work (not 100% sure on years. I think it was fixed by '07).

Generally the Nissan VQ engine is considered to be pretty bulletproof as long as you change your oil/filters regularly.

I personally have an '04 G35 sedan with ~144,000 miles and I've never had any unexpected maintenance. Very happy with it.

I suppose you don't need a super fun car for your DD since you already have a GTR (pretty jealous tbh :) ), but the Infiniti G series is a pretty good option to help wake you up during the morning commute and should fill the shoes of your BMW easily! :biggrin:

Good luck with your decision and welcome to NICO!

Lars

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”