G35 Automatic Transmission Flush

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
HerG35
Car: 2004 G35 Sedan

How many quarts of transmission fluid does it take to flush the transmission?

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Almost all flush machines hold the same amount --- 14 quarts to have a little excess to compensate for intermal bypasses and just for good measure.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

http://www.bgfindashop.com

Call them and check that the shop performs the services you desire. Some don't drop the pan and replace the filter.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

maxnix wrote:http://www.bgfindashop.com

Call them and check that the shop performs the services you desire. Some don't drop the pan and replace the filter.
which shouldnt need replacing anyway,unless you have serious transmission problems that are throwing chunks of material

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

qship96 wrote:which shouldnt need replacing anyway,unless you have serious transmission problems that are throwing chunks of material
Always replaced for longer life. There is always material caught within the screen, even if it is not visible on the surface.

"Member's standards vary." - Q45tech

qship96

who cares if there is a few particles caught in the screen,THATS WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR... if it ever trapped enough to impeed flow.... the tranny would already be needing a rebuild.I have personally examined mine,replaced once at 114,xxx miles,and based on the miniscule amount of debris... would not do again...currently have 188,000 on original tranny with annual fluid exchanges...Brian,there is such a thing as overmaintaining without any extra benefit-would you replace a new air filter after 500 miles because it trapped a few particles? stop the insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. read qtech`s recent post on thoughts about the tranny screen replacement--- again I make my point about the importance of replacing the much finer filtering external filter,which will clog light years before the internal screen.BRIAN,have you replaced your external tranny filters on all your q45`s ???? member standards and beliefs do vary....

mxr662
Car: 1990 Q45 Desert Sand 81k Sold

I read various posts about transmission flushes and filter changes. There seems to be many different ideas about it. Even found a post about possible design of a do-it-yourself transmission flush box. The BG shop in my area typically does not remove the pan and change the filter. They said the flush will clean what is in the pan. Did not want the crud in my pan to be flushed out possibly risking that some of it would be flushed back into the transmission. Spent $51 for filter, gasket, and bolts from Joe. Five quarts ATF and an hour of my time that included an ATF shower at no extra charge. Was able to wipe the magnet clean, which probably would not happen with a flush only. The fluid only became clean at the very end of the flush. Probably would have had to flush it twice to get it clean if only doing the flush.

Andy

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

mxr662 wrote: There seems to be many different ideas about it. Even found a post about possible design of a do-it-yourself transmission flush box. The BG shop in my area typically does not remove the pan and change the filter. They said the flush will clean what is in the pan. Did not want the crud in my pan to be flushed out possibly risking that some of it would be flushed back into the transmission.

Spent $51 for filter, gasket, and bolts from Joe. Five quarts ATF and an hour of my time that included an ATF shower at no extra charge.

Was able to wipe the magnet clean, which probably would not happen with a flush only. The fluid only became clean at the very end of the flush. Probably would have had to flush it twice to get it clean if only doing the flush.
5qt. new means you have over 5 qts. of dirty fluid in your transmission. That is not a mechanical fluid exchange! The pan is droppped so the sludge can be cleaned from it and examined for debris. What you did was a drain and fill.
qship96 wrote:who cares if there is a few particles caught in the screen,THATS WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR... if it ever trapped enough to impeed flow.... the tranny would already be needing a rebuild.

p.s. read qtech`s recent post on thoughts about the tranny screen replacement--- again I make my point about the importance of replacing the much finer filtering external filter,which will clog light years before the internal screen.BRIAN,have you replaced your external tranny filters on all your q45`s ???? member standards and beliefs do vary....
No, the screen is not for storing loose debris. It seems you missed Q45tech's post where he cut one "clean" screen open and examined it under a microscope. You also missed the post from a member who used Jerry Tucker who at the time didn't do the pan drop and filter screen replacement. After the mechanical fluid exchange, the member's car's tranmission cratered because of a blocked filter. Even if not blocked, the O ring ages and will not seal properly.

External filters replacements depend on ones maintainence standards. With regular mechanical fluid exchanges, pan drops and clean, and filter replacement, emprical eveidence suggests they last a minimum of 80K-100K.

Don't know on extended non-maintenance as those owner's don't change them anyway. Their transmissions just start malfunctioning then fail. Why Dennis says, "Member's standards vary."

You obviously have not read all of Q45tech's posts.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

The screen filter is there to make the job of rebuilding more economical for the JATCO facility..............as they want to keep the blown chunks from circulating until the car is turned off.

The longevity added was the external paper filter and the parallel heat exchangers in rad to fix common problems.

qship96

well,Brian-you really need to reread q45 techs recent posts regarding this-they are written very clearly....hopefully you learned something new here....

mxr662
Car: 1990 Q45 Desert Sand 81k Sold

maxnix wrote:5qt. new means you have over 5 qts. of dirty fluid in your transmission. That is not a mechanical fluid exchange! The pan is droppped so the sludge can be cleaned from it and examined for debris. What you did was a drain and fill.
My post should have been clearer. After doing the pan/filter drop, the 5 quarts of fluid was added only to drive to the nearby shop for the BG transmission flush.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”