Funky smell in Q50?

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
srq5363
Car: Q50

I just picked up my first Infiniti--a Q50 (base with sunroof)--and from the moment I approached the car, I noticed a funky smell which I assumed was the leatherette because my previous car had leather and I know what leather is supposed to smell like. The showroom car was also leatherette and I didn't smell anything in that one so we (my salesman and I) concluded it was the vinyl because it was new. I had my doubts about the vinyl in the first place but this "leatherette" seemed pretty nice and the show car didn't smell so I figured I'd try it. Just to be sure I wasn't getting a bad car, I checked two others, they all smelled funky, so the conclusion the salesman offered about it wearing off seemed plausible.
After having it one day, I decided it was pretty annoying so I got on the internet and, sure enough, I found a car forum where guys were saying that their cars also had a funky odor--one guy described it as a combo of BO and onions and I wouldn't argue the point--and some were saying that they had leather seats and thought the smell was coming from the headliner. I don't know what it is or where it comes from but I do know the trunk smells much worse and apparently, from the comments I've read, it doesn't go away, even after three months. I also drove today with the windows down for about five minutes and the smell factor shot thru the roof.

If anyone here has had a similar experience, please let me know.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

The base has the "pleather" and it actually seems pretty nice...wife liked the look of those seats more than the real leather ones. I do notice a weird smell from the car that is unlike the usual new car smell. Can't really put my finger on it other than it has a milky-ish smell similar to new/unwashed denim. I have the real leather in mine.

srq5363

Someone else mentioned that he thought it smelled like feet. I've been trying to cover mine up with more pleasing smells because no amount of airing out has helped and I can't get any help from my dealer (despite their assurance that they would take care of it) or Infiniti (despite their email that said someone would call me by close of business....yesterday.) :rolleyes:

If it didn't look so darn good, I'd be regretting this purchase 100%. I still can't believe Infiniti would put a car out there with crappy software, non-existent apps, and materials that not only don't have a new car smell but smell repulsive. :wtf2:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I had a 2011 Rogue with a weird funky smell that I could never get rid of. After a year of ownership, the smell had lessened somewhat, but would intensify with any increase in humidity. Never could figure out the cause, nor where it was emanating from. Wound up trading it in for a newer model. The second one doesn't have a new car smell either, but rather a kind of mild chemical odor, which I chalk up to the plastics and other man-made items used for the interior.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Feet smell...yeah, I can see that.

I plan on cleaning and conditioning the leather to see if that will help.

srq5363

Update... a few others have gotten further with their dealers than I have and the consensus is that there is a drain tube or something in the sunroof that is made of a particularly stinky material and the dealerships have ordered a replacement part for those cars. If that works out, I expect a service bulletin will come out or maybe a "silent recall". I hope that's the answer and I really hope the smell hasn't been absorbed by the cabin materials.

shak77
Car: 03 m455

:chuckle: on Onion smell. I just posted on Q50org forum about this same issue. Noticed it while test driving one, and I think only because the vehicle was parked outside. Showroom cars do not have that smell. From what I can tell, its not the fake leather, its insulation in the trunk and around sunroof, heats up and here comes the onion smell.

If Nissan is expecting to sell a fully loaded performance sedan at over $50k, they better make sure it does not smell like a garbage can after a hot day in the sun. From what I could tell from the other forum, dealers and Infiniti are giving people the run around.

Vfritz
Car: Infiniti Q50

I also experienced the funky odor in my new q50 since day1. I also assumed it was from the leatherette seats since my 3 prior Infiniti's had leather and never had that smell. I pointed out the problem when I brought the car in for service and was told there had never been any prior issues with the leatherette. But I was told to call Consumer Affairs, the 800 number at Infiniti and have them open up a case file, which I did. Consumer Affairs spoke with the service manager and it took about a month, but they arranged for a special service representative from the company to inspect my car. When I got to the dealership this morning, another couple was there with the exact same problem. The service representative seemed extremely helpful and committed to solving the problem, which is believed to be, not the leatherette seats but an issue with drainage in the sunroof, as someone else also pointed out. Long story short, the other couple and I both got loaner cars (g 37's which don't smell) as they attempt to fix this problem. They have to make it right, because it is completely unlivable to continue driving the car with this awful smell. To be continued, I will keep you posted.

audtatious

It's not the leatherette as I have the smell in mine with the leather.

1BlinkGone

I have heard reports that it's the headliner.

Dragon Lady
Car: 2014 Q50 Premium Sport

Sadly, I did not read these posts until immediately AFTER I drove my Q50 off the lot. I have owned Infiniti vehicles since 1993 and have loved every one, until now. I noticed the smell immediately after taking delivery, I literally had to stop and open the windows I thought I was going to be sick. So I turned around and brought it right back to the dealer. I had no idea this was a common problem, I just assumed someone had food in the vehicle or really bad body odor before I took delivery, so the dealer offered to "ioninize" it for me, and gave me a G35 loaner while they performed the service. As they were cleaning it, I had a few moments to google this problem and found this forum, and was shocked to hear that this was a common problem, and even more shocked to discover my seats were not leather. I was never told that the seats were not leather while making the purchase, and I was deceived into believing it was. So when I returned to pick up my newly "cleaned" vehicle, I immediately informed them I would like to return the car, as I discovered this horrible smell is a ubiquitous problem with these vehicles, and they were not honest with me about the nature of the seats. I was told since they do instant electronic filing and titling and even though I brought it right back and the ink was not dry on my paperwork, I would not be able to return the vehicle. I am FURIOUS! Not only am I discovering that this is a common and non correctable problem, I was also deceived when I purchased this car. I was never told the car seats were not leather, nowhere on the sticker did it say it, and the sales staff were not honest and forthcoming about what the material was. Since Infiniti has never sold this material before now, and it is only on the Q50's, I would have to assume the noxious smell is the seats.

Of course, this is not the only problem with the vehicle, the apps garage is non functioning and according to my dealer, never was. And Infiniti continues to advertise this feature, and the dealers are promoting it.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

Dragon Lady wrote:Sadly, I did not read these posts until immediately AFTER I drove my Q50 off the lot. I have owned Infiniti vehicles since 1993 and have loved every one, until now. I noticed the smell immediately after taking delivery, I literally had to stop and open the windows I thought I was going to be sick. So I turned around and brought it right back to the dealer. I had no idea this was a common problem, I just assumed someone had food in the vehicle or really bad body odor before I took delivery, so the dealer offered to "ioninize" it for me, and gave me a G35 loaner while they performed the service. As they were cleaning it, I had a few moments to google this problem and found this forum, and was shocked to hear that this was a common problem, and even more shocked to discover my seats were not leather. I was never told that the seats were not leather while making the purchase, and I was deceived into believing it was. So when I returned to pick up my newly "cleaned" vehicle, I immediately informed them I would like to return the car, as I discovered this horrible smell is a ubiquitous problem with these vehicles, and they were not honest with me about the nature of the seats. I was told since they do instant electronic filing and titling and even though I brought it right back and the ink was not dry on my paperwork, I would not be able to return the vehicle. I am FURIOUS! Not only am I discovering that this is a common and non correctable problem, I was also deceived when I purchased this car. I was never told the car seats were not leather, nowhere on the sticker did it say it, and the sales staff were not honest and forthcoming about what the material was. Since Infiniti has never sold this material before now, and it is only on the Q50's, I would have to assume the noxious smell is the seats.

Of course, this is not the only problem with the vehicle, the apps garage is non functioning and according to my dealer, never was. And Infiniti continues to advertise this feature, and the dealers are promoting it.
This poster is a troll.

audtatious

How so? Usually there is some form of product being slung. Granted I know of no Infiniti dealer who has a G35 loaner.

The smell is in both leather and non-leather cars.

cmesurf

audtatious wrote:How so?
The smell is in both leather and non-leather cars.
but My Q50 doesn't smell :nono:

Dragon Lady

Updating stinky status…
First, let me confirm I am not a "troll" in this forum as someone recently suggested,
I am a furious and unhappy consumer of a brand new SMELLY 2014 Q50.
I am working with Infiniti to try to get a lease buy back since it was less than 24 hours since I drove off the lot. Sadly, they just denied my request. They did admit to knowledge about the smell, they have determined it is in the sun roof drain pipes and will replace. However, according to my dealer they have ordered the part with no assurance that this part is currently being manufactured, or when it is scheduled. After much arguments I have gotten them to give me a loaner car until they can replace the part, The car they would be giving me as a loaner would be a 2013 G37 replacing my brand new 2014 Q50. Although, I prefer driving a car that doesn't smell bad enough to make me gag, driving a lower end car until, if and when, they fix this problem (and the few others that are in my vehicle) seems unfair. If I wanted to lease a G37, I could have done it for a lot less money. When I spoke to Infiniti Customer Relations, they told me they are hearing a lot of these complaints, and in fact, they do not know when the parts will be available. Yet they continue to sell these car to the unsuspecting public. And they keep advertising the app features on their commercials and marketing that don't exist and never had. Again, with no real idea if and when they will be available.
Does anyone have any thoughts on a next step? Surely as consumers we should have some rights.

Dragon Lady

I just dropped off my "stinky" Q50 to replace the offending part.
According to Infiniti, the part that is causing the smell is the drain on the sun roof.
When I first complained about this, the day I drove it off the lot, my dealer claimed they never heard of this problem.
So I had to contact Infiniti customer service.They are aware of the problem, but it is hard to get them to admit it.
I'm in a loaner car while waiting for repair, will update.

audtatious

Interesting. Let us know if the smell goes away when they replace the drain.

shak77
Car: 03 m455

Dragon Lady, the drain issue is what people on Q50 forum were complaining about, but the smell is also in the trunk. If you look on some other posts there, there are bunch of pissed off consumers complaining about Nissan cutting corners on Q50's. Hopefully the new drain system will fix it.

As far as Fake leather, other manufacturers use them, I have it in my e350. The issue with fake leather in Q50 is that it looked cheap when you compare it to Mercedes or what BMW uses, and I do not know how good it will hold up.

I am so glad I did not pull a trigger on one I was looking at.

forum link http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new-20 ... ll-36.html

Dragon Lady

So I picked up my recently "repaired" Q50, and although the smell is somewhat diminished, it is overpowered by a more powerful and offensive smell. The dealer had actually held it for some extra time, because after the replacement part was installed, they claimed they still smelled the offensive odor. I have been leaving the doors and trunk open whenever I can, to air it out, and I placed a carton of snuggle fabric softener to hopefully absorb the odor.

In the meantime, Infiniti consumer affairs denied my lease buy back since they found a "fix" for the problem. However, my case is still open, and I just received a voice mail message that there is another update on the problem.
Never regretted a vehicle as much as I do this one. This car is making me physically ill.

cmesurf

Dragon Lady wrote:So I picked up my recently "repaired" Q50, and although the smell is somewhat diminished, it is overpowered by a more powerful and offensive smell. The dealer had actually held it for some extra time, because after the replacement part was installed, they claimed they still smelled the offensive odor. I have been leaving the doors and trunk open whenever I can, to air it out, and I placed a carton of snuggle fabric softener to hopefully absorb the odor.

In the meantime, Infiniti consumer affairs denied my lease buy back since they found a "fix" for the problem. However, my case is still open, and I just received a voice mail message that there is another update on the problem.
Never regretted a vehicle as much as I do this one. This car is making me physically ill.
The best item you can use for odor removal :
http://www.amazon.com/Moso-Natural-Puri ... 5H87XMJMA6

scottl
Car: 2014 INFINITI Q50

We have decided that the smell in my brand new Q50 is the dirty feet and body odor of the delivery guy bringing pizza and McDonalds while smoking.

It is quite pungent.

I have to fart in the car to get any kind of olfactory relief.

My Infiniti dealer gave me an orange scented clip on for the air vent.

The smell in my car laughed at its puny efforts and overcame the scent with a powerful blast of onions from 1985.

A $40+k car simply cannot smell like someone just crapped a landfill.

It just can't

...and yet it does.

scottl
Car: 2014 INFINITI Q50

I just chatted with infiniti cust serv.
They are having a regional rep contact me tomorrow re: funky onion smell.

We will see.

audtatious

Any update?

I don't really notice it anymore in mine.

Dragon Lady

It was a tough fight, but I finally got my smell resolved!
Turnes out it was a drain pipe in the sunroof, it was replaced and the onion smell is gone.
Took a while to post this, since the new part had a funny smell also, but it seems to have gone away finally.
A shame that such a nice car had this problem, but at least after much frustration it was finally resolved.

audtatious

Glad the issue is taken care of. I don't seem to have the smell anymore in mine.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”