fuel pump query

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
lookadahdeh
Car: 1991 Nissan Cima

Fellow Cima/Q45 lovers/ enthusiasts, I am in need of some technical advice if you will indulge me.
I have a 1991 Nissan Cima which I am trying to restore to a driveable condition after it was sitting nine years in a shed.
It was languishing in Barbados and I managed to get it running but it needed a starter motor and fuel pump plus a thorough clean up in and out.
When I bought the fuel pump I took the original to a parts place where they could only match it up by dimension (Cima was never imported into Barbados and was not on their database, this one was sent as a gift to an individual), It seemed an exact match visually except for the terminals, push on versus bolted.

I put it in and the car started well but wouldn't rev out. When pushed, it would start to hunt and waver, which I attributed to the fact that some cars cut the fuel flow when exceeding set rev limits in neutral. However, on subsequent visits, I managed to drive the car but, still, high revs were unattainable even having the engine cut out sometimes.
Driving was not easy as the suspension was all the way down and I couldn't translate what was written on the suspension reservoir cap (can't speak or read Japanese) and didn't want to bugger the suspension system up, especially things I don't understand nor have tools to attempt to fix.
Another point to ponder was that the price of the pump in Barbados was about US$90.00 and here in Vancouver, BC they are listed from CDN $150 (with core) $200 without ,the cheapest i could find, to $300 to $600 and in Lynden, WA, about US $190.
My query is
1 - would similar sized pumps and same in every visual way have different fuel outputs?
2 - would a pump that is able to comfortably start and rev the engine to mid range (2000 to 3000 rpm) be insufficient to power to red line?
3- Is this line of investigation plausible or should i look elsewhere?
The car was reportedly working well when it was put to rest.
4 - What is the minimum and maximum pump pressures needed for this engine's range of operation?

Thank you for any help and/or suggestions.
Mr. P

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:welcome: to NICO Mr. P! It might be worth posting a picture of the original pump... The Cima didn't have a counterpart here in the United States in 1991, but something about it may look familiar. Pictures of the car might help too...

Thanks!

Heath

lookadahdeh

i tried to load some pictures.
I tried clicking on the img button but it would not open a browser to my pictures.
let me know how and i will.
Paul.

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

First off. Is it a Y31 or Y32 cima. The Y31 was discontinued in 91 which the y32 was its replacement the same year. Both had several different engines available. Have you pulled the actual pump? Gotta be some numbers or labels on it. Do you know what engine this vehicle has? Post a picture of the car and engine as that will help determine what is needed and we can tell you which model it is. The 90's Cima was such an under appreciated car I am envious you found one laying around. Please post some pics. Hope its a beauty even after sitting. Where is the car BTW, Vancouver or Barbados. Seems the Caribbean had a larger appreciation of JDM vehicles not sold here in the US. as I would suggest biting the bullet and buying an OEM pump from Japan.

lookadahdeh

the car is in Barbados and is a Y32. The site does not allow picture posting anymore but I sent the webmaster some before and after shots that maybe he will share. Externally it is gorgeous, white, but the interior will need some cleaning. I will try to put some pictures on a site for all to see.
Paul

lookadahdeh

the pictures have been loaded on photobucket.
Try clicking this link. I noticed the pictures are in reverse order than intended so start at the end and slide backward for proper historical perspective.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/lookad ... brary/Cima

you may have to copy and paste to view.
Paul.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Wow... that's quite a transformation! Unfortunately I have no idea on the fuel pump. I would almost guess that the pump you pulled was an aftermarket one of some sort, but that's just a wild guess.

lookadahdeh

Hi again, yes the exterior is quite nice and not too expensive.

About the pump, will pumps of equal size not deliver the same amount of gasoline under the same conditions? Could it be also the fuel pressure regulator that is amiss?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”