Fuel pressure regulator leaking, can anyone help to fix

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
supersnake83
Car: Infiniti J 30

Hello everyone,

For the last two days, I have been noticing that inside the car, the smell of gas/exhaust was getting stronger. I opened up the hood this morning and the smell of gas was really strong.

After looking around, I found that the problem was here:

According to my manual, this is the fuel pressure regulator.

Is this an easy job to fix, or should I take it to a mechanic.

If anyone could help with some easy to follow instructions that would be great.

Thanks,

Geoff.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Is the actual regulator leaking or the hose attached to it ??If its the regulator it just needs replaced.

supersnake83

Well,

Here goes the story. After taking a closer look, I think the problem was actually the short 2.5" hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator. What I was seeing and it is possibly seen in the picture (maybe not, though) is that the gas was shooting up from the hose and I thought it was leaking from the regulator.

After going to Autozone twice because I didn't know what rubber hose to buy the first time (I guessed at the size diameter and it was a hair too tight), the second second time I went there the guy showed me that there is a specific fuel injector rubber hose with blue lining in it, which in fact was the correct diameter size hose of the original.

I changed the little 2.5" rubber hose and it appears to be working (not leaking fuel anymore). However, the first time I tightened the upper clamp, I had it too far to the top of the hose and after I loosened it a little bit to push it down some, gas started shooting out. Is that normal for gas to be gushing out of that part of the fuel line?

Hopefully that was all that was the problem. Thank goodness that it was solvable and findable because I think I was driving with it like that for a few days if not weeks.

If that is not the problem, I will just replace the pressure regulator (it is only 75 bucks from Infiniti of Scottsdale). It was an easy job.

I've been smelling a hint of gas/exhaust while driving for a long while now and I wonder if it is because of the small exhaust leak I have or that (new found gas leak). If it was that (new found gas leak), then I cannot believe I was driving around like that for 3+ years. Maybe not though. Although it could have been a really small gas leak and it just now started to leak larger amounts.

I'll pay close attention to the smell when I drive from now on and see if there is a difference from way back.

Thanks so far for the input. If I have any other problems, I will post them.

Thanks again.

Geoff.

supersnake83

Okay, so I am back to smelling gas again while I drive and I look at the fuel pressure regulator and unlike the time from when the first incident above happened, instead of the fuel being noticeable from above the fuel pressure regulator, it is just below it. I checked and the short hose that I replaced is fine.

Could there be another leak from somewhere else or could it be that my fuel pressure regulator needs to be changed now?

Thanks.

supersnake83

Also,

Does anyone have the part number for the fuel pressure regulator. I want to order this online from Infiniti of Scottsdale, but I am on the east coast and need this fairly quickly. I would like to buy it from the local Nissan dealer, instead of the local infiniti dealer, but the Nissan dealer parts department wont look up anything for an infiniti.

Thanks.

yodawill2000

Any J's in a junkyard close by ??Also , I'm sure IOS can next day a part for a price.

supersnake83

Okay,

I just checked today and the fuel pressure regulator is leaking again, just like before. The short 3" hose that connects to the underside of the regulator is leaking. I don't think that it is the fuel hose because that 3" fuel hose is new (about 8 months) and now I am wondering if the problem definitely is the fuel pressure regulator.

It appears, since this is the second time that this is happening, that the fuel pressure regulator is back flowing fuel and it is coming out the way it is coming it and dripping.

Does this make sense? Can fuel pressure regulators get clogged or something?

I hope that replacing the fuel pressure regulator will solve the problem overall.

Now I just have to find it locally. IOS would be able to next day the part, but at cost of like 30.00.
Modified by supersnake83 at 8:23 AM 9/26/2009

supersnake83

Well,

It looks like I won't be finding that part number. There are a couple of junkyards around, but it is always hard to find a J in one of them. I would rather buy this part new anyway, because I don't want to run into the same problem.

Is an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator an okay choice to go with?

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

supersnake83 wrote:Well,

It looks like I won't be finding that part number. There are a couple of junkyards around, but it is always hard to find a J in one of them. I would rather buy this part new anyway, because I don't want to run into the same problem.

Is an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator an okay choice to go with?
You could ask if Nissan parts 22675M (Damper) or 22670M (Regulator) in the diagram below are interchangeable.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/3....html

Modified by GerryO at 10:09 AM 9/26/2009

supersnake83

Thanks.

I called the local Infiniti dealer and asked about the part. Of course it had to be ordered, but the guy was really nice enough to give me the part number. He gave me: 22670-10Y00 which is what you just showed me, so thank you very much.

I missed the Nissan dealer because their parts closed at 12 noon. I will have to go and order it Monday evening. I am glad I can either ride my motorcycle or catch pubic transportation. Driving like this is a no no.

Thanks again.

I will post some results. Hopefully replacing the fuel pressure regulator will solve my problem.

supersnake83

Okay.

Another scenario and question.

I just called my local Nissan dealer and they want just as much as the Infiniti dealer (141.00) for the regulator. Now, I called a local Advanced Auto Parts (PartsAmerica) store and they wanted only 65.00 for an aftermarket.

My first question is, is this one of those parts that I should stay OEM with or is an aftermarket just as good. I mean, I know with a part like an alternator, I should stay with OEM or have an OEM rebuilt, but is the importance of an OEM fuel pressure regulator just as important with our J's?

Also, is changing the fuel pressure regulator easy?

I only changed the the little 2.5"/3" delivery hose before. Is replacing the regulator hard? And, should I also replace all of the hoses connected to the regulator and is the bottom hose easy to replace or is it way deep inside the engine and it will be difficult to replace?

Thanks.

GerryO
Pearl White
Black Interior

Courtesy Nissan wants only $99.96. They are good guys.

You'll want to relieve and prevent the re-build-up of fuel system pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse with the engine running and removing the gas cap afterward. Parking the car in a cool place would also be a good idea and it might be wise to have some spare fuel line hose on-hand too.

supersnake83

Thanks for the reply.

I kinda wanted to get this fixed as soon as possible, because I have to drive my car almost everyday and I know driving with a fuel leak is as dangerous as you can get it. I was going to order it from Infiniti of Scottsdale, AZ, but didn't want to wait for the shipping or pay an enormous amount for expedited shipping.

I guess that staying OEM is recommended?

Is the bottom hose easy to replace? Is it necessary to replace?

The bottom hose I am talking about is the hose that the downward facing pipe lead goes into?

Thanks.

GerryO
Pearl White
Black Interior

You are spot-on about fixing any fuel leak asap. Courtesy Nissan might ship it UPS ground for free or you could ask about it going out Priority Mail.

OEM is pretty much guaranteed to fit properly from the start and not cause any other issues, plus the part might last longer.

Don't recall fully disconnecting it when I had my plenum off. Is there anything in the FSM about replacing it?

After fully loosening the two hose clamps, use a wide dull flat-bladed screw driver to break the hoses free, instead of simply pulling, sort of like getting out of a Chinese finger cuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap

Best of luck.

supersnake83

Okay.

So, I finally got to do the fuel pressure regulator swap today. It was easier than I thought as the hoses all went back on smoothly instead of really tightly. I did use the OEM part and thanks for helping me find the part number. I was able to get the part for $93.00 from a local Nissan dealership after a 30.00 discount (employee discount).

Now I will see in a few days of driving if this fuel leak is officially stopped and if the major gas/exhaust smell that I have been smelling for the past 4 years is solved.

If I still smell exhaust, but not fuel, then I will assume that I have an exhaust leak somewhere in one of my manifolds as someone else had speculated.

Thank you everyone for all of your help and I will keep you posted.

Cheers!

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Thank you for your pic in this thread showing the fuel pressure regulator.

1994 infiniti j30 190+
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30
1990 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Limited Edition

when i recently did my fuel regulator and the hose that was under it i found out that my hose was way out of round and at the same time found out my regulator didnt work and since i fixed it the leak had totally stopped and now im getting way better gas mileage. hope best of luck to you

supersnake83

I don't know if my original short hose that was under the Fuel Pressure Regulator was out of round when I first noticed the leak, but I replaced it anyway. I replaced it because the top of the hose had some small cracks in it and I thought it was causing the leak.

Now, before changing the regulator yesterday, the new hose was causing the leak again--which makes me believe that the Fuel Pressure Regulator was not working to begin with--kinda like how yours was. I did not change the hose a second time as I did a real good inspection of it and it seemed to be fine.

I too am hoping that I will get better fuel usage, because I was getting something like 12 - 14 MPG using Sunoco 91.
Modified by supersnake83 at 3:10 PM 11/9/2009

1994 infiniti j30 190+
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30
1990 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Limited Edition

thats how my mileage was very bad and ever since then i barly am using much gas.

supersnake83

Well,

I think I am just plagued by this fuel leak. I just noticed yesterday after, once again, smelling fuel when I turned on the heater; I checked and sure enough, I am leaking fuel again from the same short hose under the fuel pressure regulator.

Now, I don't know what could be causing my problem as I have a new fuel pressure regulator, so what I am going to do is change the short fuel hose again, and I am going to change the fuel filter as I have not changed it since I got the car over 4 years ago.

I am going to double check that I am using a standard lined fuel hose and if it is the correct size (5/16").

Hopefully, I am just leaking fuel again because I did not change the little short hose when I changed the fuel pressure regulator and this time, my problems will be solved.

By the way, since I last posted, I am only getting about 10 MPG!

GerryO
Pearl White
Black Interior

If you are replacing any fuel lines, this is the stuff to use.

Nissan OEM 300ZX High Pressure Fuel Hose (Per Inch)Code: NIS300-A6440-1Name: Nissan OEM 300ZX High Pressure Fuel Hose (Per Inch)Price: $1.50Description: Nissan fuel hose is the most durable fuel hose you can find on the market. Most other fuel hose will crack, burst, and leak. Nissan fuel hose is designed for high pressure and will never fail on any high Horsepower Z32. It is also recommended to replace all fuel lines after 100K miles or when replacing any fuel components (ie: Fuel filter, fuel dampener, fuel regulator). Sold Per Inch.

http://www.conceptzperformance...IS300

Also make sure to use OEM clamps.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/1..._902&

supersnake83

Thanks for the info.

I will probably have to order a new hose and clamp.

I don't know what my problem was, but from the looks at the hose clamp when I took the short hose out from under the fuel pressure regulator, the clamp was not completely round. To fix, I used an adequate sized round socket and tightened the hose clamp around it and tapped the clamp until it was nice and round again.

The hose was not cracker or anything, but this will be my last time relying on the autozone hose.

The hose was the correct size (5/16") and I think that my problem might have been either that the hose clamp was not on tight enough or not completely round.

Hopefully, my problems are solved, but if not, I will be ordering a whole new set of fuel hose and clams and a new fuel damper (since I changed my fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter!).

Also, the fuel from my fuel filter was black and brown. I am glad that I changed the filter, because the though of dirty fuel don't sit well in my mind.

Thanks again for the info/help!

swimshark
Car: Bamboo Mist 1994 Infiniti J30 Soon to RIPs

Pearl White 1993 Infiniti J30 Project Ghost

You can get fuel hose from the auto store and new clamps also. Believe it is 5/8" hose. I replaced all of mine after doing plenum pull. In cold weather especially the old hoses will not be as snug on the metal hoses and leak fuel. If you dont fix it soon you are running the risk of a car fire.

Id just buy a few feet of fuel hose and replace it than buying the OEM pieces. Should be about $5-$6 or so per foot.

supersnake83

Thanks for the reply.

So far, its been a few days and no sign of gas leaking from the hose where the fuel pressure regulator is or where the fuel filter is.

This time, I made sure that the hose clamp is round and that the clamp was on tight.

skao21
Car: 1992 300zx 2+2

Hey Supersnake,

My girlfriend recently bought a 1990 300zx turbo. It seems like we have the same problem as well. Would you be able to pm to get give me more specific details on how to fix the problem? Was the gas leak over with until you sold the car? Thanks so much!

yodawill2000

The following link has been on a sticky here for awhile. :)
Common issue with older VG30DE engines.
http://s95014253.onlinehome.us/63104/155876.html

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”