CHATROOM: Fuel / Gas Gauge Issues

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rayjgold
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue, SL package AWD

I have the 2011 rogue and I got the old fashion mini windshield wiper for my fuel gauge. Allways wondered why they gave up the cool features like the digital gauge and the paddle shifters in the 11's.............now i know why!!!!! I wonder what problems the 2011 will have :-/

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

hammester wrote:Be prepared to be replacing your EVAP canister and valve soon then. These are known to break from being overfilled and continuing to fill up after it clicks
That is what everybody says when they hear my story.
I am now doing it for more than 20 years and still waiting for the first one needing to be replace :ohno: .

At least, when (if) it fails, I will know why :gapteeth: :slap:

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

If it does fail, all that would happen is your vehicle would be polluting the environment. Not really pertaining to the EVAP but I see dozen of vehicles polluting the atmosphere more than usual coming out of their mufflers.

Don't know if it's a cat thing.

Many seem oblivious to it since they can't see it half the time. :blush:

ncsu
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

So the Rogue goes in tomorrow for yet another visit about the gas gauge. After the dealerships last attempt to fix, the gauge reads 2 bars and takes 14.1 gal. I then ran the tank until the first bar was gone - 4.397 gal to fill it back up.

Hopefully this visit can fix the issue - I am getting tired of taking it in to fix the same issue.

ncsu
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

So today's update - the dealership was told by Nissan that they are not to make any additional attempts to correct my problem. Nissan is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. I inquired as to the timeline for said fix – they do not have a timeline for this fix.

I will be discussing the progress of the promised fix on a weekly basis with Nissan, until the correct the issue.

philipa_240sx

ncsu,

At least it appears they are making an attempt to fix it.

The AWD models have 2 fuel level sensors as there is a hump in the fuel tank to clear the rear drive shaft. At lower fuel levels, you essentially have 2 fuel tanks. This dual sensor setup is likely causing some issues.

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I got the fuel level sensors replaced again. I figured I would have them do it before the car was out of warranty. I took it over on Tuesday and they installed the new sensors. Went I picked it up the fuel gauge was reading correctly and all the bars were showing with a full tank. I have some hope that this will last because the last time they did it a couple years ago, I never did get all the bars to display even with new sensors. I am hoping that Nissan did some tweak to the new sensors so they work right.

axel10
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

My 2010 AWD goes in on Monday to the service center, and one of the things on the list to is fix the gas gauge. When I fill up (literally will not take anymore fuel) it reads 3/4 full :wtf2:

Rogue_90
Car: Rogue 2011 SV

Hi guys, I just bought a 2011 Rogue SV, FWD. I've been through 2 tanks of gas, and noticed that the fuel gauge is inaccurate. The fuel gauge is divided into 4 segments. I drove about 130 miles before the needle moved off of the Full mark. After another 170 miles, the needle was at the last quarter tank mark. After searching on the internet, many owners have reported these problems. My question is do you guys know of a fix available from Nissan, or do I just have to live with it?

philipa_240sx

Wlecome Rogue_90 to the NICOClub Rogue forums!

The gas gauge behaviour you are experiencing is not that uncommon. My Rogue has always been like this... and my Altima, and several other Nissan's, Fords, and Honda's I have driven. It's pretty hard to measure the fuel level while it's sloshing around (while the vehicle in motion). Typically, most gauges are slow to respond either through mechanical or electrical means to compensate. This makes for some weird behaviour.

Try this: Check fuel levels while the vehicle is parked. You need to leave the ignition switch in the on position and the vehicle parked on a level surface and give it at least 5 min for the reading to stabilize.

FYI: There was a gas gauge issue with earlier models (MY2008 mainly), but that was resolved in later models.

ThandaPani
Car: 2010 Rogue SL

I have had this problem since I bought mine last year. Took a little time to notice it. But it has been like this as long as I can remember. I have always seen the gauge to move slower for the top half compared to the lower half in all my cars. But this is the first time I have a digital gauge. I wish there was a proper fix for it. It is one of those little thing that kinda bugs the corner of your mind.
I am going to try Phillip's tiptoday. Let's see if it works.

Rogue_90

Thanks for comments. I am thinking about taking the car to the dealer this weekend. Let's see if there is anything they can fix.

DannyBob1027
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV

I just took my '11 rogue for this yesterday. They ran their check for any codes buy came up with nothing. They wanted me to document any abnormalities and let them know. Since the first tank it's had this inequality of the fuel gauge. I simply reset my trip and know that with my driving habits I get 225 at 1/2 and 325 to empty

philipa_240sx

ThandaPani wrote:I am going to try Phillip's tip today. Let's see if it works.
The only reason I mentioned this wait period, is the level is the fuel level sensor is actually quite slow to respond. This is done deliberately to account for fuel sloshing around, etc while driving. Now, if you are driving a long distance and you notice this occurring, then I guess my theory is blown out of the water!

Oh, another tidbit about the fuel gauge many of you don't know:

If the vehicle is stationary AND Ignition SW = ON AND fuel level changes by 4 gal or more, then the gauge switches to a 'fast' mode. This way it doesn't take forever to show a full tank after a fillup! ;)

ajc2624
Car: 10' Rogue

I own a 2010 Rogue SL, AWD. Had the fuel censor replaced around 11K miles (wouldn't read full when filled to capactity). Made it to 18K miles before needing fuel censor #2. This time it left me stranded on the interstate ( with a toddler and 5 months pregnant) as I ran out of gas despite it showing there was 1/4 tank left. To all of those who have the same problem but are "just dealing" with it and are not having it replaced- the only way to have it recalled/fixed is if Nissan is made aware of just how many are faulty.....

axel10

BTW - I did have the gas gauge replaced. It was not a pleasant experience, as it required three trips to the dealer to complete the service. After the sensor was replaced, when I got home the car was both smelling and leaking fuel. The next day I returned to the dealer and and they did nothing - as the engine light had not come on, and as such did nothing to assist, and made me feel like an idiot for wasting their time. However, that same evening the engine light did come on. I called and booked myself in for the next AM. They wanted to keep the car all day, but I insisted that they assist me the moment I got there and that I would wait for the work to be completed - they agreed.

The problem was sloppy workmanship, as the mechanic had forgotten to fully tighten some seal (hence the heavy smell of fuel). The leaking fuel may have been residue from the original work.

Nontheless - Stadium Nissan in Calgary gets a failing grade from me. :bs:

Now the gas gauge seems to have the problem on the other end - as it stays showing full for nearly 170 km, and then rapidly decreases at a much higher rate than the fist bar did. I miss the old school gas gauges :)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I occasionally have the missing orange bar but the only reason I never got it fixed is because from reading this forum some chose to let it be fearing them tearing apart the car to fix the gas gauge would lead to more problems then its worth. As your situation proves YET again. You are not alone so don't feel bad.

Something about the digital missing that bar that messes with your mind.

When I had the needle in the maxima, it felt better if it was not always full. Happy days!

Lucky 2011 peeps.! Nissan woke up! :bowrofl:

CalgaryNissan
2009 Nissan Maxima Premium Package
2008 Shelby GT500 convertible

Our Rogue is doing the same thing since day one. Also, our 09 Maxima is doing the same thing and thus, believe this is the way the system work. I had many different brand of cars and rarely observed a fuel gauge to be accurate; it always appears that when the gauge indicates half, it is more like 2/3 of your tank is gone !! This is my two cents on it !!

Rogue_90

I took the Rogue to the dealer and they replaced the fuel tank sensor unit under warranty. The fuel gauge now moves off of full at about 70 to 80 miles depending on city or highway driving, instead of the 130 miles it was before. It is now more accurate through the entire tank, but it still isn't linear from full to empty.

wilhannes
Car: 2011 Platinum Graphite Rogue SL SV

I've got an 09 SL Rouge, all options, etc. The fuel gauge has been far from linear, but it is so in most cars. Being a car nut I found something very cool, it's called Ultra Gauge. It costs around $70 it is a nice small size and the only connection is plug into the diagnostic port under the dash. It has many gauges 30+ but the mpg and fuel tank gauges are (when set up following instructions) are right on. The "gallons left in tank" is right on every time I gas up. I love it. don't know why they can't make the fuel gauges like this. Also the mpg is right on, unlike the dash unit. Give it a google.

Qashqai

I have the fuel gauge problem from day 1.

When I filled up the gas tank, I drive around for at least 200 km when the needle still shows more that full tank. Then it suddenly drops and within 200 -250 km, the light turns on!

I always thought it is a design flaw. Then yesterday after I purchase gas, I realized that the needle is not at the FULL mark. At first I thought maybe I didn't filled the whole tank. But after 10 minutes, I checked the gauge and the needle is there on top of FULL.

I made a research and found this:

Summary of NTB09009:
IF YOU CONFIRM - Fuel level gauge does not read full when tank is full. or - Fuel level gauge is slow to show full after fill up. or - Fuel level gauge reads full for too long (stays on full for about 100 miles of driving after fill up). ACTION - For 2WD models, replace the fuel sender unit only. - For AWD models, replace the fuel sender unit and sub-sender unit. NOTE - Do NOT replace the entire fuel pump assembly for this incident, if it should occur. See this bulletin for further detail.

So I have all the symptoms. I am pretty sure that fuel sender and sub sender unit should be changed.

Normally, what I should do is (since the car is still under warranty) I have to take the car to the dealer and ask them to follow the TSB and replace these parts. My concern is, I don't want a stupid mechanic to remove the rear seat (probably by scratching the trims), remove the cover that covers the fuel pump etc (probably breaking half of the plastic clamps) and remove the whole fuel level sender assemble (probably damaging the pump). I am pretty sure he is going to break something while replacing these parts.

My problem is, they never follow the service manual. So he will just discover how to change the fuel sender unit in a 2011 Nissan Rogue and I don't want my car to be a test car...

I am living with this gauge for more than a year, I don't mind if it shows full for 200 km and then goes down. I can live with it.

What do you think? will this part cause a bigger problem. I don't have an access to that TSB. Do you think that part is critical?

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

I would get it fixed. I just went through the same thing my service engine light would keep going on when the fuel got low. They changed the fuel sensor and it actually didn't fix it at first. Right when I left the dealer about a mile later the service engine light came on, of course I was pissed and wasn't going to take it back then because it takes about half a day for them to pull everything apart and replace it. So i let it go and like 3 weeks later out of the blue the service engine light goes off and has stayed off since, couple months. weird.

Anyway that is what your warranty is for and if the scratch anything they will have to pay to replace it. If you are concered take pictures right before you bring it in.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

if you have a warranty, let them fix it - and then repair any damages that they created while fixing the problem.
i wouldnt get so worked up before even bringing this car in.

dont stress, its not THAT critical of a part. mine also has its irregularities - but i dont even care. i know how i drive, and the miles i should get out of a full tank. fuel gauges have forever been not 100% accurate. i have this same issue on my g37s coupe.
this is a similar problem in murano's etc.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I would highly recommend you take your car in and let Nissan repair the issue under warranty, it's really not a major repair and I'm sure they will do a good job. I had mine replaced back in 2008 and I can tell you I still really appreciate having a fuel gauge that works properly, even if you don't rely heavily on the gauge, it's just nice to have everything work properly.

Relax and let your warranty take care of you!

Qashqai

Today I went to the dealer to change the sender and sub sender unit. It took 1.5 hours. I went there with 1/4 gas in the tank (I didn't want them to soak the gas, put it into a contaminated container and put it back..I know I am sick :O) ). Tonight I will buy gas and fill the tank, then wait and see.

The only problem is there is a terrible gas smell in the car (which is normal). However I am parking my car outside (in the down town), so I can't left the windows rolled down a little bit. The outside is extremely hot and I wonder what will be the percentage of gas vapour when I return back to my car after work :O). Thank God I am not smoking. I love the smell of gas, but from service to work, I was going to throw out!

No scratches so far. I have no idea what happened under the back seat though...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

just wanted to note: this problem hit the rogue, xterra, g37, g35, murano - and often returned after a short time. dont stress- but its good that you went and got it done and that its on record.

Qashqai

I told you, I found one scratch on the rear door sill (it was so deep that the I can see the metal) and another scratch on the plastic trim. I am pretty sure he did them while removing the rear seat. :mad:

I know there are scratches that you can't avoid and I know that my car is in traffic, outside so there will be scratches and dents. But this is a scratch that is done just by a careless mechanic (idiot).

That is my fault...I should remove the seat by myself and gave the keys to him without the seat. This way, I maybe minimized the risk...

Dave1320

If the dealer scratches your upholstery or stains it, bring it right back and show them. They have every right to fix it for you. Dealerships have to show the highest level of quality of work...but we all know it really differs from person to person.

Also, it's an easy procedure to remove the gas tank, Nissan has a special tool designed to fit over the tank (after seat is removed) and just a few hits with a mallet and a brass punch disconnects it. There's 2 straps that hold the gas tank in.

Typically you lose a decent amount of gasoline because it's a pretty messy job.

I've seen a lot of Nissan Titans, Versas, Rogues get new fuel level senders because there is a flaw with the older design resistors that send information back to the fuel gauge.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

The first thing I got replaced was the fuel sender unit, I didn't even know that it was an issue and they replaced it anyways. They told me it was gonna go bad anyways and they replaced it like it was recall.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

TaiLuu wrote:The first thing I got replaced was the fuel sender unit, I didn't even know that it was an issue and they replaced it anyways. They told me it was gonna go bad anyways and they replaced it like it was recall.
Tailuu, thats a good dealer you got there. most wont change/fix warranty problems even when obvious lol

Return to “Rogue Forum”