Fuel Cap Lock

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
thekingbozo

Hi all,

I just got a Rogue this weekend and loving it so far.

However, I find it annoying that there is no lock on the fuel cap/lid, naturally this is a concern for me since I don't have garage parking. I am looking to pick out a replacement cap with lock available, however, I am not sure if there are any specifications to it. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks.

exeunt
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD Phantom Pearl

I've seen a few locking caps around, but they all require actual keys, which would become rather bothersome for me, especially considering the lack of keys needed with the intellikey

What I wouldn't mind grabbing is one of those cast aluminum caps. If the door were triggered from inside the car, it would be ideal, but I can't see that being an easy thing to accomplish.

ajayme44
Car: 2014 Graphite Shadow, 2014 Q50 Liquid Platimum

Doesn't the fuel door lock when all the doors are locked? Since I haven't gotten my Rogue yet I'd be eager to know. My G35 locks everything. Just a thought.

Jaded TC
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

The fuel door doesn't even latch much less lock.

thekingbozo

Well, it's not only as a mean to protect from gas theft, but also vandalism. I've heard of incidents from coworker that kids purposely throw sugar packets into people's gas tank.

Seeing how easy it is to access the fuel cap is making me a little uneasy. I've also called the dealer, which the only suggestion they had was to go for an aftermarket fuel lid with lock and pray that the check engine light will not come on.

Edges

I don't get this either. Why would they (in this day and age) choose this design flaw? For a car that's so near perfect, this really bugs me.

jsherm007
Car: 2008 Rogue

Personally I think that if somone is going to take your gas, the locked cover ins't going to help, just delay them about 30 seconds. A standard screwdriver gets you in on a 'latched' tank. I think it's better to just let them at your gas, then to have several hundered dollars of body damage to fix, IMHO.

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

I have also been considering getting the Rogue and went to the dealer to take a look at it. The salesperson told me that the cover/latch for the gas tank is definately locked once the vehicle is locked.

I guess that means there is no remote release for the gas tank cover. Does this also mean there is no remote release for the rear hatch door??

philipa_240sx

allthatjazz wrote:I have also been considering getting the Rogue and went to the dealer to take a look at it. The salesperson told me that the cover/latch for the gas tank is definately locked once the vehicle is locked.
There is definitely no lock. The dealer is incorrect. I'm with jsherm007 here, if someone wants to steal your gas they will just pry open the door... locked or not.
allthatjazz wrote:I guess that means there is no remote release for the gas tank cover. Does this also mean there is no remote release for the rear hatch door??
Well not exactly. Like most hatchback style vehicles, the rear door unlocks like the rest of the doors. The difference with the Rogue is Nissan chose to provide an electric release instead of the usual handle/lever. You just lift the door by the lip above the license plate. The release switch is located under this lip. BTW, a manual release is located inside behind an access cover in case the battery dies.

IMHO, this was very smart by Nissan since I have had nothing but problems with hatch release handles on other Nissan's, Suzuki's, Ford's and even a Honda CRV. They are prone to breaking, rusting and siezing.

boooey

I just bought a locking fuel cap from Autozone, and its been really good since I have been using it. Just keep the key in the center console, or hidden somewhere in your car. Its not really a big hassle, and is actually more secure than an outside fuel lid/door that locks, and that could be easily pried open.

philipa_240sx

Courtesy Nissan Parts sells Stant locking gas caps. You can also buy them from Advance, Carquest and others.

Part no. for the Rogue (and many late model Nissans) is #10508

http://stant.com/

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I just had an experience, my dash board light came on......service engine soon..I did tightened the fuel cap but the light was still on. I had to take it to dear to switch off the light. So the fuel cap have to be sure tight.

rbrandy
Car: '08 Rogue SL AWD Moonroof, Leather, Bluetooth. Gotham Gray

Just purchased a locking gas cap. Any special way to remove the current gas cap, or did you just cut it off?

Palmateer
Car: 2011 Ford Mustang V6 premium convertible

rbrandy wrote:Just purchased a locking gas cap. Any special way to remove the current gas cap, or did you just cut it off?
The plastic fastener of the retaining strap can be easily broken off, in case you want to remove the old cap and strap without damaging them.

Palmateer

My wife visited our local Advance Auto Parts outlet. The Stant part number listed for the Rogue is 11508. After installing the Stant locking gas cap, we started the Rogue and checked to make sure that no 'check engine' light was displayed.

If you can find this locking gas cap in Wal-Mart, it can be had for only about $11.50.

philipa_240sx

Palmateer wrote:The Stant part number listed for the Rogue is 11508. After installing the Stant locking gas cap, we started the Rogue and checked to make sure that no 'check engine' light was displayed.
A bit of confusion on the part numbers... Stant #11508 and #10508 appears to be the same part just different packaging.

BTW, the check engine light will not appear right away. Give it a few days and if you don't get any, you're good.

neovision1981

anyone know where you can purchase one in Toronto Canada? or an online retailer would be nice. I went to the Parts Source store and the guy there was not only an absolute A**hole. He went on saying how the part does not exist etc.

Palmateer

Here is the online link:

http://www.partsamerica.com/Pr...Set=A
neovision1981 wrote:anyone know where you can purchase one in Toronto Canada? or an online retailer would be nice. I went to the Parts Source store and the guy there was not only an absolute A**hole. He went on saying how the part does not exist etc.

philipa_240sx

Try Carquest.

http://www.carquest.ca/english1/index.html

They sell Stant products in the US, they may have them in Canada as well.

neovision1981

Thanks for the info guys. I went to Carquest a few days ago and was able to get the part. From them it's listed as part number 35071. It cost me under $35.00 including taxes. From what I could see it's identical to the factory installed gas cap except it has a locking mechanism built in. No MIL after 2 full tanks so I guess it's doing its part

jrmas
Car: Nissan Rogue sl awd

Pep boys or any major auto part center should sell a key locked fueal cap.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

tikus wrote:I just had an experience, my dash board light came on......service engine soon..I did tightened the fuel cap but the light was still on. I had to take it to dear to switch off the light. So the fuel cap have to be sure tight.
My experience with check engine light after a loose gas cap is...it takes several cycles of starting the car and turning it off and the light will reset. Basically, give it a day or two.

RO-G
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I got a lockable fuel cap from the dealership. I installed it on my Rogue - tighthened the cap clockwise until 3 clicks are heard and then I locked the cap using the key. Took the key off. Tried to open by gas cap by turning counter clockwise to check if it indeed it was locked but to my surpise it wasn't. I was able to to take it off easily. Is there something wrong that I did or missed? Why is it not locking?

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

RO-G wrote:I got a lockable fuel cap from the dealership. I installed it on my Rogue - tighthened the cap clockwise until 3 clicks are heard and then I locked the cap using the key. Took the key off. Tried to open by gas cap by turning counter clockwise to check if it indeed it was locked but to my surprise it wasn't. I was able to take it off easily. Is there something wrong that I did or missed? Why is it not locking?
They "will" lock... but you have to hold your tongue just right. Take the cap off and insert the key. While looking at the underside of the cap turn the key all the way one direction and all the way the other direction to familiarize yourself with the locking mechanism. They can be a little tricky getting them to lock but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

I eventually gave up on mine... too may problems with the check engine light coming on... no matter how tight I tightened the cap.

Personally... I'm waiting for someone to come out with a aftermarket kit like this. Very cool!

See it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_V4LizhNhM

philipa_240sx

There are not many options. Locking/remote release fuel doors are nice but easily defeated using a simple screwdriver... worse yet is the body damage that can occur.

I have heard of all sorts of issues with locking gas caps. Not many seem to have luck with them.

It's too bad, fuel theft is a big issue, and it will continue to be once fuel prices climb again. Maybe the auto mfg's out there should start to listen and come up with a real solution?

RO-G

RO-G wrote:I got a lockable fuel cap from the dealership. I installed it on my Rogue - tighthened the cap clockwise until 3 clicks are heard and then I locked the cap using the key. Took the key off. Tried to open by gas cap by turning counter clockwise to check if it indeed it was locked but to my surpise it wasn't. I was able to to take it off easily.
I got it installed. The technique is simple ... take off the key first from the locking cap and then replace and tighten it. I just have to wait and see tomorrow if the check engine light will come out.

RO-G

philipa_240sx wrote:Maybe the auto mfg's out there should start to listen and come up with a real solution?
Do we have a member in this forum who is from a dealership? Maybe he or she should start reporting all the prevalent issues to Nissan corporate office. On the G35Driver forum I'm a member of, there is member who works for a dealership who answers some of the queries.

philipa_240sx

RO-G wrote:Do we have a member in this forum who is from a dealership?
Yes, we do. We have a member on staff who is an INFINITI Tech and is currently working at a dealership.

But as techs, they can only suggest things to Nissan corporate. They are employed by the dealership which is independent... they don't work for Nissan. It's up to Nissan whether they listen or do anything.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Of course, the simple solution would be for Nissan to have the gas door opened from inside the vehicle. Even my humble tC has this feature. I can't think of a single new car we've owned in the last ten years that didn't have the release inside the car.

philipa_240sx

IMHO, a remote release gas door isn't a deterrent. It's easily defeated with a screwdriver or a pry bar.

BTW, the Sentra has a remote fuel door release. It may be possible to 'retrofit' a Rogue with similar parts.

Return to “Rogue Forum”