Front windshield sprayers not working..AHH!!!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
QX22s

So the back one still works fine. But the first one does NOTHING..well the wipers start going but nothing sprays. I dont even here the little pump goin like i remember hearing when it worked (maybe im wrong). But the when i pull the lever the wipers to go..just no spray. Any ideas? Maybe a clogged line..but again..i THINK i remember hearing the faint noise of the pump goin when i used to use them..now silence.

Any thoughts?

ps..thanks for all the help guys..im new to the forum and have been posting like crazy..lots of built up issues. First time i have had legit sources to ask for help. i will return the favor when i find topics im familiar with. Pics coming this weekend after i get my final touchups complete

naladude911
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

my friend has the exact same problem on his 01 LE.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Slightly off topic, as my sprayers work, but my front wipers make an awful squeaking noise, and it's not the blades against the glass. It's in the mechanism somewhere, and I can't figure out how to remove anything to get at the wiper motor linkages etc. I'm sure it just needs to be lubed, but have no idea how to get access. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

QX22s

Buzzman wrote:Slightly off topic, as my sprayers work, but my front wipers make an awful squeaking noise, and it's not the blades against the glass. It's in the mechanism somewhere, and I can't figure out how to remove anything to get at the wiper motor linkages etc. I'm sure it just needs to be lubed, but have no idea how to get access. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
Well..the question does contain the word wipers, and sprayers..so thats a start. Its a little off topic. Actually its a completely new topic. pop the cap over the base of the wiper arm and there is a bolt. Start there or try and take the arm completely off and get in a bit further. Get a little WD40 and have at it.

I have heard of a few other people with Q's have their sprayers stop working, but have not talked to someone since or if they figured it out. Any insights?? Fuse maybe?? Is there a separate fuse or relay for the front and rear sprayer motor(s)? I really have no idea.

Pwnin O'Brien

Buzzman wrote:Slightly off topic, as my sprayers work, but my front wipers make an awful squeaking noise, and it's not the blades against the glass. It's in the mechanism somewhere, and I can't figure out how to remove anything to get at the wiper motor linkages etc. I'm sure it just needs to be lubed, but have no idea how to get access. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
Here ya go. Just pull off the windshield cowl and lube the lube points (circled in red)

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Thx.

KyooX4
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 4wd

QX22s wrote:So the back one still works fine. But the first one does NOTHING..well the wipers start going but nothing sprays. I dont even here the little pump goin like i remember hearing when it worked (maybe im wrong). But the when i pull the lever the wipers to go..just no spray. Any ideas? Maybe a clogged line..but again..i THINK i remember hearing the faint noise of the pump goin when i used to use them..now silence.
Same exact thing is happening to me. Started the other day.I don't ever remember hearing a pump, even when they worked.. but I don't usually pay much attention to stuff like that.

QX22s

KyooX4 wrote:Same exact thing is happening to me. Started the other day.I don't ever remember hearing a pump, even when they worked.. but I don't usually pay much attention to stuff like that.
Yea i dont really remember if i heard a pump in the past either..but i know the sprayers worked. So...since the back is working and fron is not i can only assume they run off a different fuse and possibly different pumps/motors. Question now is figuring out where the failure has occured...hmm

Pwnin O'Brien

QX22s wrote:
Yea i dont really remember if i heard a pump in the past either..but i know the sprayers worked. So...since the back is working and fron is not i can only assume they run off a different fuse and possibly different pumps/motors. Question now is figuring out where the failure has occured...hmm
The front and rear washer pumps are completely separate and have separate fuses in the interior fusebox. I would probably suggest starting by checking the fuse for the front washer pump (fuse #19 in interior fusebox, should be a 20A fuse).

KyooX4

I checked the fuse, it's fine. What can I do next?

Pwnin O'Brien

KyooX4 wrote:I checked the fuse, it's fine. What can I do next?
Without starting the vehicle, have someone pull the stalk to turn the front washer pump on while you listen for the pump. The pump and washer tank are located behind the passenger side fog light. If you can hear the pump then that's good news, you probably just have a clog. The most likely place for a clog is at the washer nozzles. Just stick a needle in them to clear the blockage. If you cannot hear the pump then you need to check all wiring to the pump (you will probably also need to remove the black plastic skid plate). Ensure the connectors are in good condition and plugged in securely. You will want to check for any exposed wiring or fraying. If everything looks in good working order, then you will need to analyze the pump itself. The pumps are easy to remove from the tank; the front washer pump should be the one of the left (driver side) of the tank but I could be wrong.

QX22s

Pwnin O’Brien wrote:
The front and rear washer pumps are completely separate and have separate fuses in the interior fusebox. I would probably suggest starting by checking the fuse for the front washer pump (fuse #19 in interior fusebox, should be a 20A fuse).
Thanks..your info has been very helpful. I do not have the fuse layout diagram..do you know where i could find that? I have no idea what fuses are what. I will check that out first and if no fuse is out than i will try the other thing you mentioned.

Pwnin O'Brien

QX22s wrote:
Thanks..your info has been very helpful. I do not have the fuse layout diagram..do you know where i could find that? I have no idea what fuses are what. I will check that out first and if no fuse is out than i will try the other thing you mentioned.
Here ya go. There's also a diagram on the coin tray that you have to pull out to get to the interior fuse box.

KyooX4

Pwnin O’Brien wrote:
Without starting the vehicle, have someone pull the stalk to turn the front washer pump on while you listen for the pump. The pump and washer tank are located behind the passenger side fog light. If you can hear the pump then that's good news, you probably just have a clog. The most likely place for a clog is at the washer nozzles. Just stick a needle in them to clear the blockage. If you cannot hear the pump then you need to check all wiring to the pump (you will probably also need to remove the black plastic skid plate). Ensure the connectors are in good condition and plugged in securely. You will want to check for any exposed wiring or fraying. If everything looks in good working order, then you will need to analyze the pump itself. The pumps are easy to remove from the tank; the front washer pump should be the one of the left (driver side) of the tank but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the info! I'll have a look at it tomorrow and report back.

QX22s

Pwnin O’Brien wrote:
Here ya go. There's also a diagram on the coin tray that you have to pull out to get to the interior fuse box.
Geeze Pwnin..between this and the info you found on the fog lamps...your making this too easy for me

The diagram from the access latch i pull off is long gone. Any idea where i could find a copy of it?

thanks again.

Pwnin O'Brien

QX22s wrote:
Geeze Pwnin..between this and the info you found on the fog lamps...your making this too easy for me

The diagram from the access latch i pull off is long gone. Any idea where i could find a copy of it?

thanks again.
That's a great question. For some reason Nissan decided that the little coin tray is the only place they would give you the fuse diagram for the interior fuse box. I can't find the diagram for the interior fuse box in the users manual, the service manual, and you can't even buy the separate label, you would have to buy the entire coin tray just to get the label.

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

someone could take a picture of the actual label than you can print it out and stick it with double sided tape or something

QX22s

slickroger wrote:someone could take a picture of the actual label than you can print it out and stick it with double sided tape or something
that would be SWEEET!!! Can anyone hook it up with a pic!?

thanks!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

This is rather late, but in case anybody needs the coin drawer's fuse label:

SBK03SE
Car: 03 Pathy SE RWD Fully Loaded

Well, I have a similar problem. My spray works, but the wipers don't go on automatically. I have to turn the wipers on to wipe off the spray. Any ideas? Didn't wanna start a new thread.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Me too! I think our wiper stalk's built-in front wiper amplifier is malfunctioning. Since this is a very minor issue I'm not going to shell out $100 for a new stalk, but will pick one up from a junkyard when I find one instead. You cannot use a stalk from an R50 that has a separate front wiper amp in the engine bay near the wiper motor; I believe this is 2000 and earlier. See NPORA thread.

Also, about a year ago my driver side hose got kinked from rubbing against the rear air relief valve. I bought some new hose and duct taped it out of the way of the valve. I had asked Nissan to align the wiper nozzles, and they did. They suggested to buy a new driver side jet, and I stupidly did a few weeks later. When the new nozzle didn't solve the problem, I noticed the kinked hose. I had thrown away the bag the part came in, so probably couldn't return it. Waste of $32 right there. I should've picked up a junkyard nozzle and CLR'd it instead. Oh well, what's done is done.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

On mine the fluid never makes it to the sprayers it all sprays out of a tube located to the side and below the battery Ill have to see if how its escaping.

razorramon31
Car: 2009 Nissan Frontier

Hi fellas, first time poster, don't know if this is the right place or I should start a new thread

I have a 2009 Nissan Frontier. Having an issue with my windshield wiper not spraying the fluid. I do hear the motor when pushing the lever forward (thereby activating it). But nothing comes out. Filled up fluid tank, still nothing.

Any suggestions?

any help, so much appreciated...

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

Likely the little holes in the nozzles are clogged up with hard water deposits. Get some really fine wire, and clean
them out.

Chuck

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

To update on my previous reply in this thread: my wipers will now wipe when I pull the stalk toward me to wash the windshield. It just randomly started working one day, absolutely no idea why. My theory is that repeated use somehow cleaned some contacts which were causing problems. :gotme

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”