Front Left CV Axle, Will it fit?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
crainbow
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Ordered a CV axle from Australia for my R32 1990 GTR, Just got into my garage to swap it in. Took the pieces of the old one out (was shattered) and noticed some large differences between the two. Mainly a ABS ring on the old one and not on the new one. The new one came from a GTR R32 as well. Is there any difference to them? Is the only downside is that I loose ABS or does it need a different sized one?

I will upload a picture shortly.

crainbow

Here is the axles, busted one on the left is the one we took out of there.

crainbow

ok... thinking that the seal is still stuck on there... thats what the ring looking thing is.. if i remove that would it be fine to use this axle?

crainbow

So it does not fit... Picture of why is below.

I was unaware that there were multiple CV axles for a R32 GTR. Odd part is that there is a concave bowl on the engine side of the CV axle, just not a big enough one to accommodate this axle.

Image[/URL]

crainbow

Anyone? Multiple different axle sizes on 1990 GTR? What am I missing?

crainbow

No ideas on this... Kinda stuck until I can figure out this axle issue

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

That axle you received is a non-abs axle by the looks of it. I have never seen one to comment on the flange end with the extended raised surface on it. I thought the only BNR32's that came factory without ABS were N1 and Nismo models. You definitely need to replace your axle with an ABS compliant axle if you still have ABS on your car. If you managed to install that axle, the ABS system would see the left front tire as being locked up, and this will either throw a code or cause braking issues.

In a normal case, I would recommend that you bring your original axle to a shop to be rebuilt, but the cv cup seems to be broken and can't be rebuilt in the states. At this point, it looks like you will need to get another axle with ABS.

In your photo showing the replacement axle's hub spline end, the axle cup looks way different. It almost appears to not even be for a GTR in the first place. The reason I say this is because there isn't a smooth step up section immediately after the splines, and this is required to slot into the wheel bearing seal on the backside of the hub that keeps dirt and grime out of the bearing. In fact, I am almost positive that the replacement axle you have is a REAR axle. I have my old S14 rear axles laying in the shop that are a match on both ends to your photo. They even have the raised center on the mounting flange end. It looks like you will need to work out a dispute with your Aus seller, because that is definitely a rear axle you are trying to install.

The below URL shows S14 rear axles that look like what you received.
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=341310

crainbow

Well that ring looking thing on the wheel side comes off and makes it able to mount into a seal/bearing. That is just a left over piece of the last bearing that they were unable to remove (I am assuming). I think I have found the correct ABS axle, but lost a lot of money on this.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”