Front Brake Caliper Rebuild - Step by Step

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fastboatman29212
Car: left this forum. Sold my truck.

This rebuild is easy, cheap and only takes an hour per side. Make sure to bleed the brake lines when you're done. Sorry I don't have any pix of the caliper body with the piston removed. Nothing much to see in there except the "O" ring. You will not need new clips for the brake pads unless yours are damaged. You will probably be able to reuse your guide pin boots too. The dust seal on the end of the piston is not the best design but do your best to get it to stay in place. LOL!

Last edited by fastboatman29212 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

More awesomeness... thanks man!

Superflyers
Car: 1982 Nissan Datsun king cab pickup truck
2010 Nissan versa

Amazing lecture. Would you happend to have a similar show for the rear brake shoe change?

fastboatman29212

Superflyers wrote:Amazing lecture. Would you happend to have a similar show for the rear brake shoe change?
Thanks for the compliment. I have not had a chance to do my rear brakes yet. When I do them, I will be sure to post a DIY.
Jay

Superflyers
2010 Nissan versa

So with your 215K on your Datsun, and haven't changed rear brakes yet, then maybe I shouldn't worry so much about my 120K?
I was very curious about taking it apart and inspect it, also the parking brake is not very effective, so maybe there is away to tighten it up without doing a major overhaul.

fastboatman29212

Superflyers wrote:So with your 215K on your Datsun, and haven't changed rear brakes yet, then maybe I shouldn't worry so much about my 120K?
I bought the truck with 190K miles on it and I'm sure they were changed before I got it. It stops well now and I don't hear any noise coming from the rear drums, so I just drive it.

Superflyers wrote:I was very curious about taking it apart and inspect it, also the parking brake is not very effective, so maybe there is away to tighten it up without doing a major overhaul.
The parking brake has an adjustment. Look under the truck on the passenger side. You should see a cable and a threaded rod. Just a few turns should help. Then test it on a hill. Keep tightening until it holds. Just not too much.
If it doesn't seem obvious to you how to tighten it then I guess I can get out my Factory Service Manual and have a look to help explain it.

Superflyers
2010 Nissan versa

Thanks for the info, that should do it. I don't hear any noises yet either, and it brakes fine, so I'm guessing it's best to leave it closed.
Your help is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Return to “Datsun 720”