From xenon to LED

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Charl3yhustl3
Car: Q45

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if Xenon to LED is possible in a 2000 Q45 AE?
Xenon bulbs can get expensive I hear LED's last longer but may not be as bright.
Thanks charl3y

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

All the LED headlamp reviews I've seen start out great - and then get disappointing real quick, as their owners get some time to evaluate them - and replace them over and over. Image

While the theoretical lifespan of a LED may be longer than a HID bulb, the real-world lifespan on the current crop of LED headlamps isn't.

Basically, the manufacturers either overdrive the LED to make it bright enough for the job, or can't figure out a way of moving heat away from the LED fast enough to keep it from cooking itself. Result: Lifespan measured in weeks, rather than years.

At some point - after they get the bugs worked out - they're going to be superb.

Right now, they're not worth the time, money and replacement hassles.

Charl3yhustl3

Thanks Skibane! Very helpful.
Do you recommend the best Xenon lights to use for a Q45?
The ones I got with my Q45 AE had a greenish tint to them.
Are those the best ones?
I noticed the ones I order have several K temps how to pick best ones for driving
At night on highway? I don't use HI beams... Illegal here.

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

Just rolled 5k miles on the freebie - 2015 sonata limited 2.0t. Already had an issue with the right LED strand several times. Love the look of em but if 5k is enough to kill them no thank you. I know its a Hyundai but bosses 2012 A7 has more LED issues. Would it be easier to use hand blown glass fluorescent lights like the old beer signs in the bars? Or are we going to need to install fans for our headlights? Over the past years I felt overwhelmed maintaining an old Q but try maintaining a new Hyundai with only 5k miles. Thanks boss!

Charl3yhustl3

hello BC930T,
-do you have an option to change the lights with Hyundai?
-Will they cover the lights?
-Is there a recall on these LED's
- do you still have the Q?, if you do how does it run and what year is it?
Mine is 2000 Q45 AE 192,000 mi any suggestions for upkeep?

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

BCC93QT wrote:Or are we going to need to install fans for our headlights?
Some of the aftermarket LED headlamp bulbs already have a small cooling fan...

...not that it does much good.

I would expect factory-designed LED headlamps to be a lot more durable than aftermarket bulbs, simply because a designed-from-scratch headlamp/lens assembly has a lot of cooling possibilities that aren't available in a bulb that must fit inside existing headlamp lenses.

areus
Car: '97 Q45

Sorry to revive and old thread but...

I'm planning to buy a xenon enclosure (one with black lines through it) for my 97 q45 and I already have h3 (or h4?) LED headlights for my current setup. Will they fit? They look like the ones in the previous post, but with a bigger fan.

O5Q45
Car: 2005 Q45 Base sedan

I had excellent results with Xenon bulbs from Phillips/Osram in my 2006 Subaru Outback. The current bulbs have 65,000 miles on them and I drive to Asheville every morning at 4am about 57 miles one way. Now, if HID is something you would consider converting to I can recommend a great kit as well as a Phillips Osram bulb several of my friends and forum members use.. they are in the 6000 kelvin color range. Super white.. I was able to obtain new ballast from a friend of mine at the Nissan Dealer here and then put the Osram “Cool Blue” HID bulbs in.. my ballast are for a 350z officially.. however many parts on F50 are same as the same model year Z.. suspension, transmission,some electronics.. anyways, if you type Phillips Osram and go to the US site, it walks you through the applications for your specific vehicle- I and many of my friends have had excellent service from there products.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

LED retrofits in a HID enclosure? Should be interesting... The bulb bases will definitely not fit in the low beam without some modifications, since the D2R HID bulbs for the low beam have a completely different base. Maybe they'll fit in the high beam side...

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”