Ford Recall

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I know, it's not a Nissan. However, there is a recall on 2011 F-series trucks, so make sure you tell your friends if you know anyone this applies to.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... ssion-flaw

Ford has issued a recall for 2011 models of its popular F-150 pickup, as well as 2012 vehicles from the F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 lines. The recall centers around a problem with the brake shift interlock switch, which could increase the risk of a crash.

In a nutshell, the flaw may allow owners of the recalled vehicles to shift out of park without depressing the brake pedal. In certain circumstances, drivers could accidentally slip their trucks into gear, which might result in a collision with another vehicle or object, or a pedestrian.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

nissangirl74 wrote:I know, it's not a Nissan. However, there is a recall on 2011 F-series trucks, so make sure you tell your friends if you know anyone this applies to.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... ssion-flaw

Ford has issued a recall for 2011 models of its popular F-150 pickup, as well as 2012 vehicles from the F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 lines. The recall centers around a problem with the brake shift interlock switch, which could increase the risk of a crash.

In a nutshell, the flaw may allow owners of the recalled vehicles to shift out of park without depressing the brake pedal. In certain circumstances, drivers could accidentally slip their trucks into gear, which might result in a collision with another vehicle or object, or a pedestrian.
What's sad to me, is that there was a time you did not have to push the brake in order to shift out of Park. I think the interlock intention was more to idiot proof cars from bad American drivers from hitting the gas instead of the brake, who then keep pressing the same pedal when the car suddenly luches and crash, forgetting they could have easily shifted the dang thing into neutral, and then sue the car manufacturer for a "defect" rather than admit responsibility.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Bubba1 wrote: What's sad to me, is that there was a time you did not have to push the brake in order to shift out of Park. I think the interlock intention was more to idiot proof cars from bad American drivers from hitting the gas instead of the brake, who then keep pressing the same pedal when the car suddenly luches and crash, forgetting they could have easily shifted the dang thing into neutral, and then sue the car manufacturer for a "defect" rather than admit responsibility.
PREACH ON BROTHA

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Bubba1 wrote:What's sad to me, is that there was a time you did not have to push the brake in order to shift out of Park. I think the interlock intention was more to idiot proof cars from bad American drivers from hitting the gas instead of the brake, who then keep pressing the same pedal when the car suddenly luches and crash, forgetting they could have easily shifted the dang thing into neutral, and then sue the car manufacturer for a "defect" rather than admit responsibility.
Actually, IIRC, it was started because some kid was left in the car. The little guy climbed into the front seat, put the car into gear and coasted out into traffic.

So, more of a kid-proof thing since they can't reach the pedals.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Dattebayo wrote:
Bubba1 wrote:What's sad to me, is that there was a time you did not have to push the brake in order to shift out of Park. I think the interlock intention was more to idiot proof cars from bad American drivers from hitting the gas instead of the brake, who then keep pressing the same pedal when the car suddenly luches and crash, forgetting they could have easily shifted the dang thing into neutral, and then sue the car manufacturer for a "defect" rather than admit responsibility.
Actually, IIRC, it was started because some kid was left in the car. The little guy climbed into the front seat, put the car into gear and coasted out into traffic.

So, more of a kid-proof thing since they can't reach the pedals.
Actually, I believe it was the infamous Audi 5000 unintended acceleration recall, which the US government later determined to be mostly careless American drivers stepping on the wrong pedal. Audi designed a simple transmission interlock as a response to that recall to idiot proof the driver from stepping on the wrong pedal and more importantly to better fend off frivolous lawsuits. the interlock quickly became an industry standard.

Return to “General Chat”