For those of you wondering what a Rogue drives like...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
boostedwagon
Car: 02 Subaru Impreza WRX

Disclaimer: I work in sales for nissan.2nd disclaimer: I am a long-time Subaru fan

All Nissan salespeople (in Canada at least) have had the opportunity to drive pre-production Rogues. Here are my impressions of the car.

From a static viewpoint, the car has some good points and bad points. It's pretty (in the right colour) and is a lot like a Murano, but this means it's a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. In addition, the interior is much smaller than the other two vehicles, and rearward visibility suffers from the styling. This is not an updated X-trail.On the other hand, it's not an X-Trail inside. The cockpit feels like a cockpit, not a micro-mini-van like the CRV. Fit and finish is very good, and it really feels like an Altima rather than a Sentra, if you know what I mean. Rear cargo space is limited. The organizer tray does nothing for me personally.

Now for the drive. Bear in mind I am stepping out of a 300hp, tuned supension WRX wagon and I hate driving automatics...This car is a hoot! You can actually feel the AWD pushing you out of corners, almost like a rwd-bias AWD setup. The paddle shifters (which I initially scoffed at) work great. The only thing I have a complaint about is the handling nannies interfering with my "exploring the handling envelope" and cutting the power on gravel, but it is not under-powered in the least. Forward visibility was good too, with everything in the right place, and just a general feel of control. Corners totally flat, maybe a touch of understeer if you go in too hot. Let me put it this way: the SE-R Sentra should have been this much fun.

Oh, and the stereo pounds, like all top-end Nissans these days.

In a nutshell: reduced utility, more fun-to-drive, and apprently it will have best-in-class fuel efficiency.

-bw

originalstarlite

Wow, thanks for the great post. I started to get a bit of an erectlon on that first reading.

It ties into what I read today in Car & Driver Magazine. There was a double page ad with one poorly done picture, but all the text was about the new AWD system that never stops thinking and adjusting.

It said something like "it begins adjusting the traction for the curve that you did not even begin yet"

mquebe

Looking to purchase a Rogue. How bad is the visibility? The Honda CRV I test drove had poor visibility due to the pillar type lights in the back.Is the cargo room smaller than the CRV?How much headroom did you have?Sounds exciting...can't hardly wait.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard, BW!

Thanks for the early insight... Hope to see some more reviews in the near future, I think the Rogue is going to be a sleeper success.

bdcwriter

BW,

Could you give me an idea of the Rogue's driver leg room? I'm 6'4 so if the Rogue is long leg friendly it will be our next car!

MrGreg

The cargo space in the Rogue is much smaller than that of the CR-V. It's about equivalent to the Hyundai Tucson.

philipa_240sx

MrGreg wrote:The cargo space in the Rogue is much smaller than that of the CR-V. It's about equivalent to the Hyundai Tucson.
The sloped rear roof and rounded tailgate have an impact on rear cargo space. I agree it may not be a spacious as compared to a Tribute, Escape, or CRV. But it isn't as bad as smaller CUV's with only 12" behind the seat. There are small bulges for the rear wheel wells and the height is reduced. IMHO you need to see it and compare to get a good idea. If your carge needs are large (ie. kids or work) you may need to consider a larger vehicle.

Quote »The Honda CRV I test drove had poor visibility due to the pillar type lights in the back.[/quote]Rear visibility isn't great. The hatch window isn't big and the c pillar windows are almost invisible from the drivers seat. IMHO you would need to learn to the more 'modern' shoulder check method taught by many driving schools and adjust your mirrors outwards until the sides of the vehicle just dissappear from view. Done properly you only need to check your mirrors and glance sideways to check the blind spot.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdgu...t.htm

I realize this method is unnevering for many (including my wife)... we are used to seeing our car in the side view mirrors. But once learned it is safer than a shoulder check. Many vehicles including my '87 Pathfinder and '90 240SX had similar issues so it's not new. If you are unsure, test drive a Rogue and be sure you are comfortable with it.

Modified by philipa_240sx at 6:23 AM 8/23/2007
Modified by philipa_240sx at 6:23 AM 8/23/2007

originalstarlite

Good insight into "problems" that have been posted here and at the Edmonds Rogue site. Of course the shape of the vehicle is going to effect the shape and amount of space available in the rear cargo area.

Leaving in the US, we are not seeing the Rogue in person for over a month but I already assumed from specs that this car was not a family of 4 vacation car. Many have said the pop-up rear organizer was too small for anything other than a couple grocery bags. I think that is the intention. To keep very little from rolling around the area. If you have more, it will hold itself in place.

The blind spot issue was one that given to the Murano in 03. Since this car has a similiar rear styling, it is no surprise to me that this is true. I really liked your link to setting mirrors. It was a good review of what is correct.

philipa_240sx

In this class of vehicle I wasn't expecting massive cargo space or a spacious back seat. If hauling a sizable family in on your agenda, start looking at mid size crossovers.

FYI published cargo volumes:

Rogue: 28.9 cu.ftRav4: 35.9 cu.ftCRV: 35.7

This gives you an idea where the Rogue stands. A 7cu. ft. deficit. in cargo space which IMHO is directly a result of the sloped rear roof. How many are going to stack luggage to roof?

Return to “Rogue Forum”